IGNORED

The Official NEO-GEO Thread!

Hi guys,

Come see the new Samurai Shodown 64 beta :) (yep...it’s a one of a kind never before seen prototype for the Hyper Neo Geo) https://youtu.be/R4QDVTp_rhI

#RETROGAMING #retrogamer #SNK #NeoGeo #samuraishodown #videogames #gaming #arcade #arcadegames #fightingames #fightinggame #gamer

Anthony..

• Like 3

Hi guys,

This evening, we are with AtariAge member, awbacon. Welp, today is the day on the unveiling of his Samurai Shodown 64 prototype. Let's dive right in to have a listen. The suspense is driving me bonkers. :)

From the description,

"

Now what do we have here? A rusty hulk of a door stop? A pretty paperweight? An extremely rare prototype? Or a retail rom on a strange cartridge? Well...you have to watch ;) Or I guess you can skip to the end but everything building up to what it actually is will be of interest! Because you can't just slap a game like this on a motherboard and flip the power switch without being careful first. But what is the Samurai Shodown 64 Hyper Neo Geo Cartridge in the photo? Well...it's an awesome fighting game from SNK that's for sure! Check back next week for part 2 :)"

Anthony...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, fdurso224 said:

Hi Undecided.

Glad to have you back with us bro. No worrie about a new Neo-Geo game or something to add to the thread bro. Were glad to see you back on with us posting away. :)

Hmmm. I just went on the neo-geo fourms and nothing either. I'm just a guests viewing the material on there to see the latest. Did this happen just today? 

Anthony..

If we loose the neo forum resource it will be a great loss. Underneath the bull shi* arguments and petty drama it had a great deal of useful info on there.

i will say I am excited for the many homebrew shoot em ups coming out. Andro dunos 2 will be one I pick up for sure when it is released. Now that the used game market is so out of control the higher priced homebrews are a much easier pill to swallow.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Looks like an unofficial fan sequel to r-type really, a bit too close to r-type by design.

I was actually more inspired by Pulstar on the Neo Geo, which itself is very R-Type by design.

"R-Type-likes" have been their own genre since the original game released with countless games that borrowed from it following.

So I guess I just take your comment as a compliment... ;) :D

3 hours ago, The Undecided said:

If we loose the neo forum resource it will be a great loss. Underneath the bull shi* arguments and petty drama it had a great deal of useful info on there.

i will say I am excited for the many homebrew shoot em ups coming out. Andro dunos 2 will be one I pick up for sure when it is released. Now that the used game market is so out of control the higher priced homebrews are a much easier pill to swallow.

Yeah bro. lots of useful resources that I kept for references for later on. If I remember correctly, this happen before. Don't recall why it happen the first time, but they went back online again soon after. 

Anthony..

On 3/10/2021 at 8:15 AM, fdurso224 said:

With this new picture of him Steve, they made him too much of a pretty boy with a female hairstyle that looks like he would be upset if he breaks a nail. In his past photos, he looked more aggressive with his front section of his hair pushback and a stone cold face ready to fight.

image.jpeg.2d9e77ab5e79d24835e7e1cf0e98afe3.jpeg image.jpeg.ef44203d9220cd56d55dfebd0a4b9ef8.jpegAndy BogardAndy Bogard (Fatal Fury) - SNK Art Gallery - Page 2

Anthony...

Yeah, in this case I think it would be nice if they went back to something resembling his old designs from the 90s a bit more. I still prefer this over his tiny-face look because at least the proportions don't look super strange, but the 90s design is still his best.

Yuri looks weird, too, though. I don't know, I guess I prefer most of the old designs from the 90s. The designs in the newer SNK games just look really strange to me for some reason.

By the way, did anyone here get the Open MVS? I might preorder one soon, but he's out of MV1C motherboards and is unsure of when he'll get more of them. Looks like his target ship date is in June at the latest for DIY kits without the MV1C.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 1

I finally figured out why the AES Darksoft cart's DIP switches for MVS mode don't work: the AES cart doesn't support this and they have no plans to implement it. Why have those options in the menu, then? Weird design decision. I guess if you want the complete MVS experience on the AES, don't bother with the Darksoft cart and get the NeoSD instead.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

I finally figured out why the AES Darksoft cart's DIP switches for MVS mode don't work: the AES cart doesn't support this and they have no plans to implement it. Why have those options in the menu, then? Weird design decision. I guess if you want the complete MVS experience on the AES, don't bother with the Darksoft cart and get the NeoSD instead.

Ah so that was the problem with it . Always wanted to know what was troubling it. Are you still going to keep it Steve?

Anthony..

2 minutes ago, fdurso224 said:

Ah so that was the problem with it . Always wanted to know what was troubling it. Are you still going to keep it Steve?

Anthony..

Maybe. I've got both the NeoSD Pro AES and the NeoSD Pro MVS coming here in a month or so. I'm going to compare the NeoSD Pro to the Darksoft cart and see which one I like more. If I like the NeoSD Pro enough, I should and probably will sell the Darksoft cart. No point in keeping it at that point, as it's an expensive thing that will end up unused. It's still a great option if you want the full AES experience or the default MVS settings.

As for the graphical glitching in the Darksoft cart, it seems to be related to the FPGA somehow and Darksoft is looking into it to see if it can be fixed. It looks like it might not actually be my AES and this is just how the cart is, which makes me feel a lot better. I was worried my AES was damaged somehow, but apparently not. I have not taken a picture of the graphical glitching, but someone else did: https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/aes-multi-cart-troubleshooting-and-help.8772/page-41#post-268016

See that line right below Terry's hair? Those things constantly show up all over the place in some games. I sit 2 feet in front of my monitor since I play at my desk, so I notice everything, but it might not be noticeable if you sit farther away. Hopefully they can fix this.

2 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Maybe. I've got both the NeoSD Pro AES and the NeoSD Pro MVS coming here in a month or so. I'm going to compare the NeoSD Pro to the Darksoft cart and see which one I like more. If I like the NeoSD Pro enough, I should and probably will sell the Darksoft cart. No point in keeping it at that point, as it's an expensive thing that will end up unused. It's still a great option if you want the full AES experience or the default MVS settings.

As for the graphical glitching in the Darksoft cart, it seems to be related to the FPGA somehow and Darksoft is looking into it to see if it can be fixed. It looks like it might not actually be my AES and this is just how the cart is, which makes me feel a lot better. I was worried my AES was damaged somehow, but apparently not. I have not taken a picture of the graphical glitching, but someone else did: https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/aes-multi-cart-troubleshooting-and-help.8772/page-41#post-268016

See that line right below Terry's hair? Those things constantly show up all over the place in some games. I sit 2 feet in front of my monitor since I play at my desk, so I notice everything, but it might not be noticeable if you sit farther away. Hopefully they can fix this.

Yeah Steve, I see it on the link you provide. Man, seeing it all over the place must be terrible. I agree, I think it's best to sell it and try to get as much back that you point into it. But would love to see pics of the NeoSD Pro both MVS and AES version from you, and give your opinion over it for sure. :)

Anthony..

3 minutes ago, fdurso224 said:

Yeah Steve, I see it on the link you provide. Man, seeing it all over the place must be terrible. I agree, I think it's best to sell it and try to get as much back that you point into it. But would love to see pics of the NeoSD Pro both MVS and AES version from you, and give your opinion over it for sure. :)

Anthony..

I'll definitely be posting my thoughts on the NeoSD Pro here for sure. I still don't have an MVS yet, so it might be a while before I can actually review the MVS version, but from what I understand, the AES and MVS versions are basically exactly the same thing, just one is an AES cart and one is an MVS cart. Pictures of the MVS version are no problem on day 1, though!

As for the graphical glitching, it really isn't bad in some games, but it is in others. I honestly haven't had the Neo Geo set up for a while because I finally got the S-video cable that I wanted for my Dreamcast, so maybe I'll set up the Neo Geo again. I've gone a bit too long without playing the Neo Geo anyway, and I might as well use that Real Bout that I bought a while ago!

Speaking of the Dreamcast, have you tried Mark of the Wolves on the Dreamcast? It's pretty cheap and easy to find and I see complete copies of it all the time for 3000~4000 yen in town. I might get one. The Dreamcast was the first system that I'm aware of that can do uncompromised Neo Geo ports, so I've been thinking about getting the Dreamcast version. The Dreamcast is a really awesome system and I wish it hadn't died the way it did.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

I'll definitely be posting my thoughts on the NeoSD Pro here for sure. I still don't have an MVS yet, so it might be a while before I can actually review the MVS version, but from what I understand, the AES and MVS versions are basically exactly the same thing, just one is an AES cart and one is an MVS cart. Pictures of the MVS version are no problem on day 1, though!

As for the graphical glitching, it really isn't bad in some games, but it is in others. I honestly haven't had the Neo Geo set up for a while because I finally got the S-video cable that I wanted for my Dreamcast, so maybe I'll set up the Neo Geo again. I've gone a bit too long without playing the Neo Geo anyway, and I might as well use that Real Bout that I bought a while ago!

Speaking of the Dreamcast, have you tried Mark of the Wolves on the Dreamcast? It's pretty cheap and easy to find and I see complete copies of it all the time for 3000~4000 yen in town. I might get one. The Dreamcast was the first system that I'm aware of that can do uncompromised Neo Geo ports, so I've been thinking about getting the Dreamcast version. The Dreamcast is a really awesome system and I wish it hadn't died the way it did.

Interestingly Steve, I was playing Mark of the Wolves for the Sega Dreamcast today. That was my first  Japanese game that I purchased years ago for the Dreamcast. I still love that port and think it was well developed. In fact, I rate that as one of my top Dreamcast games for the unit and wouldn't sell that from the SNK collection I have. Really fun playing it and still is after all these years.  :)

Anthony... 

1 minute ago, fdurso224 said:

Interestingly Steve, I was playing Mark of the Wolves for the Sega Dreamcast today. That was my first  Japanese game that I purchased years ago for the Dreamcast. I still love that port and think it was well developed. In fact, I rate that as one of my top Dreamcast games for the unit and wouldn't sell that from the SNK collection I have. Really fun playing it and still is after all these years.  :)

Anthony... 

In that case, I think I'll get the Dreamcast version when I go to Akiba. It's a really great game. I still can't believe they made that game on a system that was released in early 1990. The backgrounds and the characters' animation frames are just ridiculous. I'd really like to see SNK make a sequel to Mark of the Wolves. I am still planning on getting the AES version, but we'll see. That's a lot of cash to spend on one game.

3 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

In that case, I think I'll get the Dreamcast version when I go to Akiba. It's a really great game. I still can't believe they made that game on a system that was released in early 1990. The backgrounds and the characters' animation frames are just ridiculous. I'd really like to see SNK make a sequel to Mark of the Wolves. I am still planning on getting the AES version, but we'll see. That's a lot of cash to spend on one game.

Excellent Steve. A purchase that's worth spending the money on. From what was explained to me, a Mark of the Wolves sequel was being plan.

https://snk.fandom.com/wiki/Garou:_Mark_of_the_Wolves_2

Anthony.. 

5 minutes ago, fdurso224 said:

Excellent Steve. A purchase that's worth spending the money on. From what was explained to me, a Mark of the Wolves sequel was being plan.

https://snk.fandom.com/wiki/Garou:_Mark_of_the_Wolves_2

Anthony.. 

Yeah, they killed the sequel. I hope they decide to actually make it someday, though. It would probably be in 3D just like the modern KOF games, but it would be nice if they actually made it in 2D instead in the same style as the Neo Geo games. If there's one game that never got the sequel that it deserved, it's this one. It's like Terry's story is incomplete, especially since they planned and started working on a sequel that ended up not happening.

Now that I think about it, SNK did tease a new system. Hopefully it's actually a new Neo Geo instead of another emulation box, but even their emulation boxes are really good recently. Apparently the MVSX is actually extremely good, so hopefully they make a really nice new system with new games like a sequel to Mark of the Wolves. I'd buy it for sure.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Yeah, they killed the sequel. I hope they decide to actually make it someday, though. It would probably be in 3D just like the modern KOF games, but it would be nice if they actually made it in 2D instead in the same style as the Neo Geo games. If there's one game that never got the sequel that it deserved, it's this one. It's like Terry's story is incomplete, especially since they planned and started working on a sequel that ended up not happening.

Now that I think about it, SNK did tease a new system. Hopefully it's actually a new Neo Geo instead of another emulation box, but even their emulation boxes are really good recently. Apparently the MVSX is actually extremely good, so hopefully they make a really nice new system with new games like a sequel to Mark of the Wolves. I'd buy it for sure.

Personally Steve. I wouldn't be surprise if they do make a Mark of the Wolves 2 or Special. Remember when all of a sudden they offered Samurai Shodown V Perfect? Well I  believe that they will pull another stunner in which SNK will say that they were able to complete MotW2 and make it available so way for the public to play.

That's true bro. The MVSX was pretty skeptical at first thinking it was some unknown company that was willing to manufacture them for cheap for SNK to pay pennies on the Dollar (or Yen) for them. Now after all said in done, it's worthwhile to buy one for the collection. If I had the room, I would've purchased it.

Anthony.. 

Hi guys,

#くにおの熱血闘球伝説 for NEOGEO CD CD-Rメディアが1枚1000円くらいもしてたころの開発中の残骸。 確かマスターアップまではこぎつけなかったと記憶しているが、プレイできるレベルだったはず。 このディスクの日付が最も新しく、そしてその数日後テクノスジャパンは倒産した。 中身は未確認…
Translated from Japanese by

#くにおの熱血闘球伝説 for NEOGEO CD The wreckage under development when one CD-R media cost about 1000 yen. I remember that I couldn't finish the master up, but it should have been a playable level. The date of this disc is the newest, and a few days later Technos Japan went bankrupt. The contents are unconfirmed ...

Anthony..

15 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Wow, I never knew that there was a planned sequel! This would have been awesome, GMTW was/is still one of the most balanced fighters out there. We can hope for a true 2D sequel!

-Aaron

• Like 1

Lets see some pics of your guys Neo geo collections here is my AES collection as it stands( I also have fatal fury 2 but its in my box of games im gonna sell off) I use to have them on top of my bookshelf of games but my girlfriends cat would try to jump up there, so its safer in the closet I can close.

IMG_0154.thumb.jpeg.3c4d99f9013d9f1705f6a1b7c71f0a77.jpeg

I think Robo army, spinmaster, aero fighters 2, viewpoint, and alpha mission 2 are my most played games

Edited by The Undecided
  • Like 2

Since we're collection sharing, here's my current MVS stuff.  Removed one game I just couldn't make myself keep, added one, and a few extra bits I picked up to a couple others.  I probably should snap my NGPC setup at some point, would easily fit in a picture spread out.  I got to get that thing and IPS panel at some point so I feel motivated to use it again.

I have a flickr account album, and yeah it heads off with some awesome engrish.

Neo-Geo MVS (SNK Corporation of America, 1990)

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Since we're collection sharing, here's my current MVS stuff.  Removed one game I just couldn't make myself keep, added one, and a few extra bits I picked up to a couple others.  I probably should snap my NGPC setup at some point, would easily fit in a picture spread out.  I got to get that thing and IPS panel at some point so I feel motivated to use it again.

I have a flickr account album, and yeah it heads off with some awesome engrish.

Neo-Geo MVS (SNK Corporation of America, 1990)

Very nice big red and I am jealous that the mvs has strikers 1945 and the aes does not :(. thanks man

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tanooki said:

4 hours ago, The Undecided said:

I'm up to the idea fellas. It's been a while since I done any Neo-Geo but here's my old pics of NGDEVTEAM and Neobitz collection. In fact NGDEVTEAM even posted it up on Twitter.

The Official NEO-GEO Thread! - Page 714 - Classic Console Discussion -  AtariAge Forums

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, The Undecided said:

Very nice to see this Undecided. I use to have them stored in my closet the same why you done yours to avoid sunlight. But then it wasn't easy access to play them because I had other goodies in there that made them hard to reach. so I moved them elsewhere. But excellent to see yours bro. :)

Anthony..