IGNORED

The Official NEO-GEO Thread!

7 minutes ago, str0m said:

It's only 1-2mm slimmer or something so not a big difference..... The smaller backlit screen requires no modifications to the NGPC so is 100% reversible and it means you can actually play it without sitting under a desk light. Was just a pointer to the battery issues as they are common so still worth a look, take the batteries out if they pass it to you working.

Yeah, I'll definitely look into the batteries. Sometimes systems will sit there unsold for a year or so and the battery might die while it's sitting there on the shelf if it's an older battery. My Mega-CD came with a dead battery, for example, and I need to do some work on it anyway to get the disc tray working again as well. Good thing I only paid 10000 yen for it...

I'm not sure how often they test the systems that they put out. They generally replace batteries in games that have batteries and they let you know if they replaced the battery, but I'm not sure what they do with hardware. I have only seen maybe 5 or 6 Neo Geo Pocket Colors in town in the past 3 years, though. They are not especially common. I actually see more CIB AES systems than even loose Pocket Colors, sadly.

• Like 1

I have about 11 in my games room and 2 B&W ones (one with a dead screen). How they ever sold the latter is beyond me as the screen is barely visible, far worse than say an original Gameboy.

I bought one new back in the day when I worked in a shop next to a games shop.

To be clear, it's the 2xAA batteries/area which can leak if left for many years. I expect the cr2032 is fine as you often find them in ancient motherboards etc. You don't need one to actually use it but it loses the time and flags up the warning for a few seconds. The carts themselves save scores.

1 hour ago, str0m said:

I have about 11 in my games room and 2 B&W ones (one with a dead screen). How they ever sold the latter is beyond me as the screen is barely visible, far worse than say an original Gameboy.

I completely disagree about the B&W's screen quality.  The original gb was a greenish, low-contrast experience even by the standards BITD. Outside of the NGP being released in an era when it really should have had a color screen, I don't think I've heard anything that negative ever being said about it.

I thought maybe NGP screens degraded over time (like a lot of the early color screens seem to), or my memory was otherwise off, but I just checked against a gbp, since my original gb's have screen mods. NGP still looks as I remember it. Lights are lighter, darks are darker, but I think it might do more shades than the 4 on game boy, since some of them kind of blend together until the contrast wheel is taken to incorrect settings. (NGPC's existence makes it pretty hard to find NGP 'color count' stats)  Also of the 'color' games that play on that screen, many of them may not have been designed primarily with the b/w screen in mind.

Edited by Reaperman

So I went with the neobiosmasta vmc.  I've never been able to catch a run of these before.  Now I need a newer unibios to do 'the good stuff' with it.  I'm really only interested in saving more high scores.

Before I knew there was an mv1c version available to buy, I took apart the Omega to see what kind of bios adapter was already in it.  'Shouldn't have been too surprised that it was an older neobiosmasta, I suppose.  It's always so darn clean in these, so I wanted to take a picture.  The Capcom sticker is kind of cute.

KrA3Lm7.jpg

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Reaperman said:

So I went with the neobiosmasta vmc.  I've never been able to catch a run of these before.  Now I need a newer unibios to do 'the good stuff' with it.  I'm really only interested in saving more high scores.

Before I knew there was an mv1c version available to buy, I took apart the Omega to see what kind of bios adapter was already in it.  'Shouldn't have been too surprised that it was an older neobiosmasta, I suppose.  It's always so darn clean in these, so I wanted to take a picture.  The Capcom sticker is kind of cute.

KrA3Lm7.jpg

We're you trying to upgrade your Omega?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 128Kgames said:

We're you trying to upgrade your Omega?

Yes, the new Omegas all come with the NeoBiosMasta with VMC, but mine came out before that.

From what I understand, when paired with the proper unibios, it can save more than the 5 high scores system memory can store. Granted I don't seem to see much documentation on that feature anywhere, but hopefully it becomes obvious in the unibios A+B+C+D 'memory card manager' menu.

...and outside of that, it probably does regular memory card things too, but I really don't much care about that.  High score save slots will keep me from swapping metal slug 3 and aero fighters 2 back into the system every few times I change games.

Edited by Reaperman

7 hours ago, Reaperman said:

Nice one Reaper. Glad you went with neobiosmasta vmc. Would love to see the end results on what you think of it. :)

Anthony..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheBeatMeetsMan said:

Hey All

Happy 7th anniversary to all and thank you, Durso for all your hard work. Keep doing the hard work as usual. I made something to celebrate the anniversary. I hope you enjoy. 

WRCN

Thank you so much and stopping by to share this WRCN. Great pic to celebrate the occasion and always a pleasure to see you on with us kind sir. :)

Anthony..

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, NeoPancho said:

This thread will be celebrating its 7th anniversary in a few hours, so i will just leave this here...ExMvqW8VkAI3kkN?format=jpg&name=large

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

OH MAN!! This is better than any Jim Davis's Garfield strip he ever man Pancho. Thank you so much. Love how Geese Howard came by to play with Garfield and take Jon away thanks to the help of his henchmen. Well done bro. This was brilliant to say the least. :)

Anthony..

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fdurso224 said:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

OH MAN!! This is better than any Jim Davis's Garfield strip he ever man Pancho. Thank you so much. Love how Geese Howard came by to play with Garfield and take Jon away thanks to the help of his henchmen. Well done bro. This was brilliant to say the least. :)

Anthony..

I guess that technically a illustration with a "Congratulations on the 7th anniversary!" would have been more fitting but i thought you might like this one better! ?

Does the main picture actually show up here in the forum? It shows up in my tablet just fine but not in the mobile ?1616549957018.thumb.jpg.c343884f07d502e22f91d21685d5e854.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Reaperman said:

Yes, the new Omegas all come with the NeoBiosMasta with VMC, but mine came out before that.

From what I understand, when paired with the proper unibios, it can save more than the 5 high scores system memory can store. Granted I don't seem to see much documentation on that feature anywhere, but hopefully it becomes obvious in the unibios A+B+C+D 'memory card manager' menu.

...and outside of that, it probably does regular memory card things too, but I really don't much care about that.  High score save slots will keep me from swapping metal slug 3 and aero fighters 2 back into the system every few times I change games.

The reason I asked is you could have sent it back to Quan for the VMC upgrade and have him upgrade the Universe BIOS to the latest official version (which he does for free).  I had him add the VMC to mine years ago, and more recently had him update the BIOS.  

While you're at it, you should swap the video board too (Quan doesn't do this, it's a replacement board made for the Omega).  You get better RGB out and can even use an RGB to HDMI cable (it's a Genesis II cable).

Edited by 128Kgames
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, 128Kgames said:

The reason I asked is you could have sent it back to Quan for the VMC upgrade and have him upgrade the Universe BIOS to the latest official version (which he does for free).  I had him add the VMC to mine years ago, and more recently had him update the BIOS.  

How well does the score saver work?  Is there any trick I have to do on my end to set it up?

Edited by Reaperman

7 minutes ago, 128Kgames said:

Not sure, never really looked into that feature.  So it's supposed to retain high scores?  

yeah, a normal MVS system saves the last five inserted games, but from what I understand VMC can save far more when combined with proper unibios. The arcadeworks omega page (very briefly) mentions it, but I didn't see anything specifically relating to that on the unibios or neobiosmasta page.  I do also just vaguely remember reading about it on the neo-geo forum.

I did shoot arcadeworks an email earlier today about the bios upgrade.  No idea if they'll want me to send the whole omega back, just the unibios chip, or if they'll let me buy an updated one with the same serial.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Reaperman said:

yeah, a normal MVS system saves the last five inserted games, but from what I understand VMC can save far more when combined with proper unibios. The arcadeworks omega page (very briefly) mentions it, but I didn't see anything specifically relating to that on the unibios or neobiosmasta page.  I do also just vaguely remember reading about it on the neo-geo forum.

I did shoot arcadeworks an email earlier today about the bios upgrade.  No idea if they'll want me to send the whole omega back, just the unibios chip, or if they'll let me buy an updated one with the same serial.

I physically shipped mine back to upgrade the BIOS, and he did some other repairs free of charge as routine maintenance.  Might be worth sending it in and having him do it all.  If your interested in the video board and getting the very best video and audio out of your Omega, watch this:

You can skip to 8:43 if you just want to see what the board is about, but I recommend watching the whole video as it explains why replacing the board makes sense.

• Like 2

Hi guys,

It's March 24th 12:00 midnight here EST in New York. You know what fellas??

:party: :party: Today marks the 7th year anniversary of "The Official NEO-GEO Thread" on Atariage.com! :party: :party:

Its been another amazing year in which we were able to bring members together and having discussions regarding anything related to the Neo-Geo and SNK. I would like to take the opportunity as usual to thank Albert, the moderators, the members, and guest that come by, reply, and look at the postings that are available to view for the general public pertaining to the Neo-Geo and its platforms. As mentioned numerous times before, the Neo-Geo thread had concerns and uncertainties involving how will it work and benefit others. After careful planning and good concepts. We were able to make this thread work and help benefit long time and new Neo-Geo players. :)

For those that are unaware about the thread beforehand, Atariage had little discussions that involved the Neo-Geo. But being a Neo-Geo player, owner, and enthusiast...I felt it was time to introduce something new and fresh for the community here on the site. However, difficult challenges awaited since Neo-Geo was hardly ever discussed, and few on the forums here own anything from SNK's units it manufactured. But thankfully it worked for the better  So far, we have 25,800+ replies, and at 1,058,000+ views and enlisted hundreds of new members for all to benefit! A nice accomplishment so far that we continue on to progress even further.

The Official NEO-GEO Thread motivated our members to establish other amazing threads such as,

The Official TurboGrafx-16 Thread.

The Official Game Boy Thread.

The 3DO Thread.

The Sony Playstation Thread

The Official Sega Saturn Thread

The SNES/Super Famicom Discussion Thread.

The Sega Dreamcast Thread.

Nuon Game System & Discussion Thread.

The "Make A Label/Box Into Something Funny/Cool" Thread.

Battle of the Ports Thread.

Hi-Score Today Thread.

Analogue NT Mini Core Video Recommended Thread.

The Video Game Cartoon Thread.

The Official lag thread.

The Official Vectrex Thread.

The Official Custom Controller Thread.

The Official Videogame Tombstone Thread.

The Official Nintendo 64 Thread.

The Official Sega CD/Mega CD Thread.

The Official Action Max Thread.

The Official Nintendo GameCube Thread.

The Official Channel F Thread.

The New Cables For Classic Consoles Thread

The Pre-Famicom Nintendo Thread

BEAT-EM-Up.The Thread

If you have a moment, please support them in which they offer to benefit others in the community. So much insightful information that is posted on these threads that will be to your liking! :)

As usual, "The Official NEO-GEO Thread" is open to all. If you have any inquiries or you're a gamer, reviewer, programmer, troubleshooter, developer, publisher, or anything else that you would like to contribute relating to the Neo-Geo or SNK, please feel free to PM me, or post here. You're welcome to do so.

Thank you all for the personal support and thank you for supporting "The Official NEO-GEO Thread" on Atariage.com. :)

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Hey everyone,

Congrats on 7 years of awesome Neo Geo and SNK content on this forum! I made a quick video of Metal Slug and checked out a cool beer to celebrate! Thank you all for all of the support over the years! I always enjoy checking out the forums for some nostalgia and to keep up on all things SNK. Thank you Anthony for maintaining the thread starting this awesome topic making this website even better! Happy Gaming and Cheers to the next 7 years!!!

-Aaron Classic Gamer

• Like 4

My quick contribution to the anniversary of this thread:

From the depths of the SNK history comes not only a look at the weird scrolling pseudo-maze game SAFARI RALLY (1979 SNK/Taito), but my time capsule of the year 1979!  Strap on your disco-dancing duds (or maybe blow up some disco records), enjoy inflated gas prices (oh, wait; we already are!), shed a tear for US hostages in Iran, enjoy a time when Seattle played basketball, marvel at nuclear reactor incompetency, etc.  Muh-muh-muh-myyy Sharona!

• Like 3

Hi guys,

Back with Steve from retroredsteve to celebrate the occastion. Enjoy.

From the description,

"its atariage.com 7th anniversary on the 24th March. Anthony asked me would I like to do a video to help celebrate the anniversary which of course I was more then happy to as Anthony is a great guy. There is a link below to dave of davidretrogamesplayedbadly video on his vr to Anthony:"

Anthony..

• Like 3

Hi guys,

Back with Colin from Gorilla Entertainment to share his video to celebrate the 7th anniversary of the Neo-Geo thread fellas. Enjoy. :)

From the description,

"Alpha Mission II is a vertically scrolling full-screen shoot 'em up released by SNK in 1991 for the Neo Geo arcade and home systems. As the name suggests, it is the sequel to the 1985 arcade game Alpha Mission. It was later released for the Neo Geo CD in 1994 and for the PlayStation Portable in 2010."

Anthony..

• Like 2

Hi guys,

This time we're back with Dave from Dave retro games played badly his 7th anniversary video. Enjoy. :)

From the description,

"this is s video for my good friend Charlie, he runs the neogeo forum thingy and it's there 7th birthday on the 26 march 2021. if you'd like to have a looksy in the group the link is hear https://atariage.com"

Anthony.

• Like 1