IGNORED

The Official NEO-GEO Thread!

Anthony said there was some big news, so here I am. It seems there IS big news indeed... let's clear up some stuff first, though.

2 hours ago, ohfivepro said:

I mentioned on Twitter a week or so ago when this was 1st announced that these are $600 for a box, a plastic cartridge, a manual, a piece of paper & a rom dump. Truly ludicrous & if you look at the small print it clearly mentions that the cart is not guaranteed to work on all official AES hardware

QUOTE "This software is not compatible with all genuine devices. It may not work depending on factors such as the condition of the main body and the manufacturing time"

Reply from someone with more tech knowledge than me: It means they're using 3.3V chips that are not rated for use on a 5V console. The same situation and happened with this official SNES Street Fighter II repro cart... And they warned it could catch fire

Please do not support this garbage - use MAME or buy a used MVS cart

2 hours ago, ohfivepro said:

I'm not sure if this release is actually manufactured by JoshProd of if it's manufactured by Columbus Circle. If it's Columbus Circle, this is their typical way of doing things: they are basically a company that makes garbage. They are basically Japanese Hyperkin and should be avoided if possible. I have a few of their MD releases and the cart PCBs are just squares. Not beveled like they should be, just plain square. Sadness.

If it's JoshProd... then yeah, I'd say avoid it.

1 hour ago, NeoPancho said:

It's not related to SNK but i think it's good news, there can't be that many AES cartridges of those games out there of those games... then again, as much as i would like to get Breakers Revenge i can't see myself paying 400€ for it. I'm sure it's quite complex and expensive compared to other systems replicating cartridges but i think the price is a  bit too hight...

Yeah, so I saw a real Japanese AES Andro Dunos the other day, right? Paying 400 Euros is a hell of a lot cheaper than the 30000+ yen price of that original Andro Dunos. I'm not sure how much a US AES copy is, but here are a few copies on Surugaya's website.

https://www.suruga-ya.jp/search?category=&search_word=アンドロデュノス&searchbox=1&is_marketplace=0

One of these (the cheapest one) is the older JoshProd release from last year, but the rest are originals from the 90s. I believe Andro Dunos is one of the only AES games that got released in both the USA and Japan where the Japanese version is far more expensive and rare than the US version. I am very tempted to pick up this new Japanese AES Andro Dunos from JoshProd for this reason. Maybe I'll open it and poke it with a multimeter to see if the cart is good if I do get one. Not sure yet, though, as I'd rather have Sonic Wings 2 and that's basically the same price for a real copy.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, fdurso224 said:

Hi guys,

BREAKING NEWS !

#NeoGeo We are proud to announce that #PixelHeart has purchased the complete catalog of #VISCO CORPORATION games ! #PixelHeartLive

Our Website : http://pixelheart.eu

Replying to@PixelHeart_eu

Good to know. Will you be manufacturing reprints of Visco titles for the Neo-Geo MVS and AES?

Only for AES ?

Anthony..

Wow a reissue of classic AES titles in 2021!!!! This is awesome to hear! Are we in heaven!

-Aaron

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Yeah, so I saw a real Japanese AES Andro Dunos the other day, right? Paying 400 Euros is a hell of a lot cheaper than the 30000+ yen price of that original Andro Dunos.

lol oops, I missed a zero. Let me fix that. I wish Andro Dunos was 30000 yen, but the one I found was literally 10 times that price.

Yeah, so I saw a real Japanese AES Andro Dunos the other day, right? Paying 400 Euros is a hell of a lot cheaper than the 300000+ yen price of that original Andro Dunos.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Steven Pendleton said:

lol oops, I missed a zero. Let me fix that. I wish Andro Dunos was 30000 yen, but the one I found was literally 10 times that price.

Yeah, so I saw a real Japanese AES Andro Dunos the other day, right? Paying 400 Euros is a hell of a lot cheaper than the 300000+ yen price of that original Andro Dunos.

I hope it's still there and you'll be allowed to take that picture of the Japanese Andro Dunos Steve. Those are insanely rare and it's really astonishing and glad that you happen to see one right in front of your eyes. :)

If it was me, my jaw would be on the floor. :D

Anthony..

Just now, fdurso224 said:

I hope it's still there and you'll be allowed to take that picture of the Japanese Andro Dunos Steve. Those are insanely rare and it's really astonishing and glad that you happen to see one right in front of your eyes. :)

If it was me, my jaw would be on the floor. :D

Anthony..

lol nope, it's gone. Blazing Star is still there, though.

• Like 1

Just now, Steven Pendleton said:

lol nope, it's gone. Blazing Star is still there, though.

AWWWWWWWWW! ?

Oh well, it was fun while we had the discussion Steve. But sure glad you had the opportunity to see such a game what is labeled that is so rare bro. :)

Anthony...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steril707 said:

Crazy shit... 
Seems the Neo Geo commercial market still has some life in it.

I can certainly speak on behalf of all of us here on the Neo-Geo thread. We would rather spend our money on your upcoming Neo-Geo homebrew instead Steril. A new game from the ground up is certainly better off for sure. :)

Anthony..

Hi guys,

Anuncio: Estamos dando apoyo a este torneo online a través de nuestro programa de ayuda e-sports! #SNK #KOF2002UM https://facebook.com/F6Esports/posts/2948523992045649

Translated from Spanish by

Announcement: We are supporting this online tournament through our e-sports support program!#SNK#KOF2002UM https://facebook.com/F6Esports/posts/2948523992045649

Anthony..

Hi guys,

【KOF XV】 Who's the newest character coming to KOF XV? Tune into tomorrow's character trailer to find out! Visit SNK's Official YouTube Channel for more info! >SNK YouTube Channel https://youtube.com/user/snkplaymoreGame

#SNK #KOF #KOF15

Anthony...

14 minutes ago, fdurso224 said:

AWWWWWWWWW! ?

Oh well, it was fun while we had the discussion Steve. But sure glad you had the opportunity to see such a game what is labeled that is so rare bro. :)

Anthony...

Yeah, maybe I'll pick up this new release of it since it's still the same awesome game and it's literally somewhere around 17% of the price of that Andro Dunos I saw the other day. That copy was in absolutely pristine condition, too, which is even more impressive since it's a soft box game.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NeoPancho said:

It's not related to SNK but i think it's good news, there can't be that many AES cartridges of those games out there of those games... then again, as much as i would like to get Breakers Revenge i can't see myself paying 400€ for it. I'm sure it's quite complex and expensive compared to other systems replicating cartridges but i think the price is a  bit too hight...

I with you there. The price is too expensive but the option of owning a physical cart if one of these games is very interesting!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, fdurso224 said:

Hi guys,

La news à retenir today ? PixelHeart a récupéré les licences VISCO CORPORATION et tous les jeux NeoGeo AES sont réédités en version Japonais et US, à des tarifs abusé : c'est 400€ pièce. Oui, vous avez bien lu, 400€ pièce. Juste le jeu, zéro bonus contrairement à Pix'n Love.
Translated from French by

The news to remember today? PixelHeart has recovered the VISCO CORPORATION licenses and all NeoGeo AES games are reissued in Japanese and US version, at abusive prices: it is 400 € room. Yes, you read that correctly, 400 € room. Just the game, zero bonus unlike Pix'n Love.

Anthony..

Holy smokes! I am definitely getting andro dunos 2 as it kind of reminds me of lightening force +andro dunos 1 ( thunder force 4). Now I've also got to grab Andro dunos 1 from them as well. It's going to be a real expensive purchase I better start saving now!

Steven p- I too pick Terry as my main fighter for all the fighting games he is in. He is probably my favorite Neo geo character for sure. I hope you are enjoying your new game! It's always a good day when you get a new Neo game.

8 hours ago, Mx5dob said:

I with you there. The price is too expensive but the option of owning a physical cart if one of these games is very interesting!

Some of these games actually never got official AES releases, so this is an opportunity to get not-illegal AES versions of those games, if you are interested in things like that. I am seriously considering it myself, but given the prices and the exchange rates, if I get any of them, it would likely only be the Japanese Andro Dunos reprint.

7 hours ago, The Undecided said:

Steven p- I too pick Terry as my main fighter for all the fighting games he is in. He is probably my favorite Neo geo character for sure. I hope you are enjoying your new game! It's always a good day when you get a new Neo game.

I definitely agree about getting new Neo Geo games. This system is just ridiculously stacked with quality titles. I love this game a lot, and I'm enjoying it a lot more using the real cartridge than I was when I was playing it on the Darksoft cart, but that's not just because I have a real copy of the game;it seems that the game itself actually behaves differently on the real cart and on the Darksoft cart for some reason. I have no idea what is causing this, but now that I know about it, I am extremely curious to learn more about it, so if anyone has any information about this, it would be appreciated. I will do my own research as well, but for now, I figure I might as well ask here.

So basically on the Darksoft cart, I run the game and the same exact thing happens every time: pick Terry, set my TOP, and then fight Hotaru, Dong Hwan, Marco, Hokutomaru, Freeman, Rock, Grant, and Kain. On my real cart, I might get this same order, but I have also seen

Jae Hoon, Hotaru, Hokutomaru, Griffon, Freeman, Rock, Grant, Kain

Jenet, Hotaru, Hokutomaru, Gatou, Kevin, Rock, Grant, Kain

and a few other variations. Obviously the final 3 are not going to change since they serve as Terry's bosses, but the others seem to change every time I play, even if I do something like get a game over and try again without pressing the reset button or cycling the power.

What's weird is that the Darksoft cart gives me the same exact thing every time without fail. Is there some sort of revision of the game that I'm not aware of? In the typical Darksoft pre-made ROM pack that everyone uses, there is a late MVS ROM and an early MVS/AES ROM along with a bootleg and I think there is a prototype in there as well. I'm definitely not complaining, though, as the variety makes the real cart a lot better than fighting the same people over and over again and literally never seeing half of the fighters at all.

• Like 1

Hi guys,

Now the video. From the description,

"I asked, you answered...and I try to listen :) Of all the requests for new content on the channel one of the most frequently asked for videos is a series on the Terasic DE-10 Nano MiSTer FPGA hardware...so here it is! It's an amazing piece of FPGA hardware that is a must own for any retro gaming enthusiast or arcade gaming fan. It runs everything from Neo Geo to Sega Genesis to Super Nintendo to the NES to Gameboy Advance to the original Gameboy to the Capcom CPS hardware to probably your toaster and maybe pacemaker too? In this video I will go over the Analog Video Output options for MiSTer, including RGB for PVMs, VGA for VGA monitors and Component video. Additionally I will explain the necessary settings changes to achieve each of these video outputs. Additionally we will talk about different SYNC formats (composite, HV and Green) and what Sync you need to select for each and every analog output! As good as MiSTer looks in HDMI it looks EVEN BETTER in Analog if done properly!"

Anthony..

Honestly, if you wanna buy bootlegs there's an AliExpress shop that does good work and you can get any title you want made.  I picked up an MVS copy of Samurai Showdown 5 Perfect in a translucent red cart shell with a soft case and printed insert for like $80 shipped to the US.  (He makes AES carts too).  I'm not advocating piracy in any way, shape or form but those "licensed" fakes are highway robbery.  SNK didn't even charge that much.  And SSV Perfect never had a Neo Geo release anyway so I don't feel bad about buying it.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, 128Kgames said:

Honestly, if you wanna buy bootlegs there's an AliExpress shop that does good work and you can get any title you want made.  I picked up an MVS copy of Samurai Showdown 5 Perfect in a translucent red cart shell with a soft case and printed insert for like $80 shipped to the US.  (He makes AES carts too).  I'm not advocating piracy in any way, shape or form but those "licensed" fakes are highway robbery.  SNK didn't even charge that much.  And SSV Perfect never had a Neo Geo release anyway so I don't feel bad about buying it.

Here's my situation with them Mike. For many years, in fact, on many occasions, I was only a click away on buying Puzzle Bobble for the AES even though they never officially released the game for the home cart console. I use to see them on Ebay at prices that were really attractive to buy and I agree I don't support piracy, I just remember the great times playing it on the MVS with my brother enjoying the cutesy music and was upset that this game never made it over to the AES, Yes, the NGCD received a official launch, but I didn't feel much attraction towards it on that console. I wanted it on the AES.

To this day, I'm still undecided if I should or shouldn't purchase it because of my beliefs on fakes and bootlegs....But man, I really want it for the AES. 

Anthony..

40 minutes ago, fdurso224 said:

Here's my situation with them Mike. For many years, in fact, on many occasions, I was only a click away on buying Puzzle Bobble for the AES even though they never officially released the game for the home cart console. I use to see them on Ebay at prices that were really attractive to buy and I agree I don't support piracy, I just remember the great times playing it on the MVS with my brother enjoying the cutesy music and was upset that this game never made it over to the AES, Yes, the NGCD received a official launch, but I didn't feel much attraction towards it on that console. I wanted it on the AES.

To this day, I'm still undecided if I should or shouldn't purchase it because of my beliefs on fakes and bootlegs....But man, I really want it for the AES. 

Anthony..

Keep in mind Anthony boots vs conversion - most likely that's what you're talking about with Puzzle Bobble, an MVS to AES conversion.  I've had lots over the years, and they've had their own history of controversy (sac cart(s) needed, destroying perfectly good carts etc.).  But these boots today are just that: nothing SNK original at all, and the possibility of it damaging a console no less.  Not good.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Some of these games actually never got official AES releases, so this is an opportunity to get not-illegal AES versions of those games, if you are interested in things like that. I am seriously considering it myself, but given the prices and the exchange rates, if I get any of them, it would likely only be the Japanese Andro Dunos reprint.

I definitely agree about getting new Neo Geo games. This system is just ridiculously stacked with quality titles. I love this game a lot, and I'm enjoying it a lot more using the real cartridge than I was when I was playing it on the Darksoft cart, but that's not just because I have a real copy of the game;it seems that the game itself actually behaves differently on the real cart and on the Darksoft cart for some reason. I have no idea what is causing this, but now that I know about it, I am extremely curious to learn more about it, so if anyone has any information about this, it would be appreciated. I will do my own research as well, but for now, I figure I might as well ask here.

So basically on the Darksoft cart, I run the game and the same exact thing happens every time: pick Terry, set my TOP, and then fight Hotaru, Dong Hwan, Marco, Hokutomaru, Freeman, Rock, Grant, and Kain. On my real cart, I might get this same order, but I have also seen

Jae Hoon, Hotaru, Hokutomaru, Griffon, Freeman, Rock, Grant, Kain

Jenet, Hotaru, Hokutomaru, Gatou, Kevin, Rock, Grant, Kain

and a few other variations. Obviously the final 3 are not going to change since they serve as Terry's bosses, but the others seem to change every time I play, even if I do something like get a game over and try again without pressing the reset button or cycling the power.

What's weird is that the Darksoft cart gives me the same exact thing every time without fail. Is there some sort of revision of the game that I'm not aware of? In the typical Darksoft pre-made ROM pack that everyone uses, there is a late MVS ROM and an early MVS/AES ROM along with a bootleg and I think there is a prototype in there as well. I'm definitely not complaining, though, as the variety makes the real cart a lot better than fighting the same people over and over again and literally never seeing half of the fighters at all.

No matter how i look at it, the new releases of Visco games are a positive thing, sure these are not from SNK (and it's not like if they were thinking of releasing new cadtridges, let alone third party ones!), but they are the next best thing, licensed Visco games... just a bit too expensive... but still way cheaper than the original releases nowadays (when there's actually a release!)

About Mark of the Wolves, i can't really give you an explanation, but i can tell you that in fighting games, often, the order in which you fight another fighters is preset instead of random, so each fighter has a few sets of adversaries and ideally these sets would be picked randomly (or who you pick as your first adversary if given the option)  but it wouldn't surptise me that under the same conditions (same character, same options, etc), the first time you play you fight a set of characters, the second time another set of fighters, the third time a third set of characters and once you turn off the console, you go back to the first set, second set, etc.  This might have something to do with what you are commenting... or it's just a different ROM (like maybe SNK changed something between the MVS and AES releases) or some wonky behaviour from the Darksoft cartridge! ?

3 hours ago, 128Kgames said:

Keep in mind Anthony boots vs conversion - most likely that's what you're talking about with Puzzle Bobble, an MVS to AES conversion.  I've had lots over the years, and they've had their own history of controversy (sac cart(s) needed, destroying perfectly good carts etc.).  But these boots today are just that: nothing SNK original at all, and the possibility of it damaging a console no less.  Not good.

That's right Mike. Which brings to a curious question on wondering how much sacrificing was done throughout the years to change the rarity guide on certain games. Titles like the Japanese Art of Fighting 2, Fatal Fury Special, and Samurai Shodown II were top choices since they were so cheap to buy and convert. Shame there's no fact sheets to truly know, but must've been a good amount done to them for sure.

Anthony..

Edited by fdurso224

Hi guys,

[SAMURAI SHODOWN] At this time, patch 2.12 is slated to launch early April. In preparation, we have chosen to release the patch notes ahead of schedule. https://snk-corp.co.jp/us/games/samuraishodown/ss_patch_2.12_eng.pdf

We thank you for your patience and will update everyone when a date has been decided. #SNK #SamSho
Quote Tweet

PLdEj9co_mini.jpg

SNK GLOBAL

@SNKPofficial
· Mar 16
[SAMURAI SHODOWN] Users have been experiencing unintended issues following the Ver.2.10 patch released yesterday. Currently we are working on a patch to resolve these issues and will update everyone with our progress. We apologize for any inconvenience this patch has caused.

Anthony..