IGNORED

The Official NEO-GEO Thread!

I'll just go ahead and double post just to make it a bit less messy.

Get.

Pic_0621_734.thumb.jpg.fc6544ece6a4f77f15a50b0ecdc5bdd1.jpg

Will review once I have spent some time with them. I have definitely noticed 3 things, though: Darksoft cart is WAY faster when you write games to slots, but the NeoSD Pro doesn't have the graphical glitching that the Darksoft cart has. NeoSD Pro's menu is also way better than Darksoft's is.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 3

Okay, I think I have spent enough time with this cart now. So basically it's just plain better than the Darksoft cart in almost every single way and you should buy it now if you want it, especially since only SAG has them and I imagine they don't have very many of them.

Darksoft advantages

Better at writing games to the slots. Darksoft does it way faster and I don't seem to have found a way to write multiple games at once on the NeoSD Pro, but the Darksoft cart can write to all 3 of its slots at once instead of just one at a time. SD card can be removed without having to remove the cart from your Neo Geo. Pre-assembled ROM pack is extremely easy to find.

NeoSD Pro advantages

AES version is actually in stock (for now, anyway) and not potentially discontinued forever like the Darksoft AES cart is, it has more slots, the menu is better and more intuitive to use, the menu doesn't cut out every 3 seconds on the OSSC like the Darksoft cart does, no annoying graphical glitching in almost every single game, can play some Neo Geo CD games (which I have not tried yet), the soft DIPs ACTUALLY WORK PROPERLY ON THE AES, it can save your high scores to the SD card, you have a nice in-game menu that doesn't exist on the Darksoft cart, getting back to the menu is faster and easier, you can set the cart to become whatever game you want it to be even without the SD card inside it, it has a little 3.5mm jack so you can connect it to Riding Hero or League Bowling or whatever for multiplayer, which the Darksoft cart can't do at all, it can play game music, it has a little port that you can plug into for game development if you make Neo Geo games, and, most importantly, it looks cooler.

Both the AES and MVS carts are in a clear-ish AES cart with blue PCBs. Yes, that's right, the MVS version is an AES cart with an MVS PCB inside.

Overall I've had a much better experience with the NeoSD Pro because it actually works the way I'd expect it to work, unlike the Darksoft cart, which has a lot of non-functional "features" and graphical glitching. One thing to note is that I was not able to register my serial number on the AES cart, so I emailed Terraonion to have them take care of it for me. This happens with their stuff occasionally, from what I understand, mostly when you buy their stuff from SAG like I did this time. I was able to register the MVS cart and get the thing you need to convert games to the proper format from that, though. I'm not sure what I will do with my Darksoft cart right now, but while I really don't see a reason to keep it, I am not really planning on getting rid of it.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Excellent post Steve. Extensive information and will keep this for personal reference. I agree after reading on what you said that the NeoSD Pro is a better product. The graphical glitching on the Darksoft one I was wasting on YouTube gamers saying that it did so like you said. Somethings you'll see a black screen and just hear the music while you were playing. So that was a turn off for me. 

I still believe (like others think as well on the thread) that a YouTube video should be done by you regarding the comparisons of the two Steve. Just think of the possibilities for others to take noets and give you notoriety for helping the community even further for others to benefit bro. I say it would be successful. :)

Anthony.. 

Edited by fdurso224

Hi guys,

【見本誌到着!】 7月刊は『THE KING OF FANTASY 八神庵の異世界無双 月を見るたび思い出せ!』第④巻! エサーガを追放され、王都ミクニにも入れない庵たち。 旅の途中である孤児院に立ち寄るが、そこの子供たちは何故か庵のことが大好きで――!? 最強異世界譚、7/2(金)発売! #八神庵の異世界無双
Translated from Japanese by

[Arrival of sample magazine! ] The July issue is "THE KING OF FANTASY Iori Yagami's Different World Musou Every time I see the moon, remember! 』\ No.④ roll! The hermitages who have been banished from Esaga and cannot enter the royal capital Mikuni. I stopped by an orphanage on the way to the trip, but for some reason the children there loved hermitage-- !? The strongest different world tan, released on 7/2 (Friday)! #八神庵の異世界無双

Anthony..

Hi guys,

【MSA お知らせ】 本日より6月26日まで新イベント「BURNING DIAMOND」を開催中! ステージをクリアして「マーズウルフ」をゲット! #MSA #メタルスラッグアタック https://game.snk-corp.co.jp/official/metalslug_attack/news/20210619_01twu94.html

[MSA Notice] A new event "BURNING DIAMOND" is being held from today to June 26th! Clear the stage and get "Mars Wolf"! #MSA#メタルスラッグアタック https://game.snk-corp.co.jp/official/metalslug_attack/news/20210619_01twu94.html

Anthony..

5 hours ago, fdurso224 said:

Excellent post Steve. Extensive information and will keep this for personal reference. I agree after reading on what you said that the NeoSD Pro is a better product. The graphical glitching on the Darksoft one I was wasting on YouTube gamers saying that it did so like you said. Somethings you'll see a black screen and just hear the music while you were playing. So that was a turn off for me. 

I still believe (like others think as well on the thread) that a YouTube video should be done by you regarding the comparisons of the two Steve. Just think of the possibilities for others to take noets and give you notoriety for helping the community even further for others to benefit bro. I say it would be successful. :)

Anthony.. 

I'd probably do it if I had a way to capture footage, but I don't, so...

The OSSC also doesn't like some capture devices, as well, which is a problem. I suppose I could just go OSSC -> Framemeister -> capture thing, as the Framemeister apparently doesn't care what you plug it into like the OSSC does.

Oh, it seems that I forgot to mention that the NeoSD Pro also lets you use cheats. I have not tried that yet, but you can cheat with that cart if you want, but I'm not really sure how to do it, as it always says "no cheats detected" so I imagine I have to put some cheat files on the SD card in order to use cheats. NeoSD Pro also lets you both soft reset and hard reset from the in-game menu. Darksoft can't do any of that as far as I know.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 2

I'm finally over my 'funk' of not wanting to even look at neo geo--after that whole pre-buy mess.

Here's a small project that's been bugging me since I got this cabinet over 15 years ago. Not 100% sure I love the red, but it's still the most likely color.

W2hio5Nm.jpg + tAp1zTXm.jpg = j3W4cA7m.jpg

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 3

Okay, I sat down with the wife today, and got the go-ahead to go for the NeoSD MVS (non-pro, since I missed out on that, and it probably costs too much)

I come into money a couple times a year, and neither of them are during 'pre-buy the new stuff' season in ~october, so I get what I can get.

Things I'm wondering:

how is it using the rom conversion software?

Does it still have homebrew issues like the early reviews said? (example)

anything else I should know before buying?

I'm also thinking of getting a MiSTer FPGA system during this, which sounds a bit redundant, and maybe it is, but the NeoSD (non-pro's) high score saving, and some unibios-like features are a good mix for the MVS in my cab, which is currently on a bone-stock us bios, and has had the battery cut out.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

The OSSC also doesn't like some capture devices, as well, which is a problem. I suppose I could just go OSSC -> Framemeister -> capture thing, as the Framemeister apparently doesn't care what you plug it into like the OSSC does.

It's probably the sync settings--framemeister has a couple options, ossc doesn't touch sync that I know of.

My avermedia capture device *HATES* unmodified sync, despite what their customer service has told me, it's exactly 60fps, or nothing with that thing. Micomsoft picked some real stupid setting names for it too. Per my framemeister cheat sheet, 'auto' sync mode leaves sync alone like the ossc(?), 'off' converts the output to 60fps, which causes the video to jump slightly every 6-10 seconds.  That bugs me while I'm playing, but doesn't show up on youtube, since it happens in their conversion anyway.  sigh...

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Reaperman said:

I'm finally over my 'funk' of not wanting to even look at neo geo--after that whole pre-buy mess.

Here's a small project that's been bugging me since I got this cabinet over 15 years ago. Not 100% sure I love the red, but it's still the most likely color.

+  = 

I personally like it Reaper. I always envy those that have an MVS unit regardless on condition. To this day, I would still love to own one. But since I have limited space, I can't. 

Interestingly, when I use to live in my past apartment, I had bricks layered out similar to how you have yours Reaper. That's really cool because I use to have a similar gap in between like you have your MVS unit now. NICE!! :)

Anthony..

• Like 1

Hi guys, Back with AtariAge member @DJ Clae. Here we see a great video from him with the unrealesed game of Dunk Star. Looks really cool. Enjoy. :)

From the description,

"This time on Neo Geo Generation we're talking about the unreleased basketball game, Dunk Star from Aicom and Sammy. This prototype cartridge remains unreleased to the public. Please visit NEOGEOPROTOS.COM for more information about this and other unreleased Neo Geo games:"

http://neogeoprotos.com/

Anthony...

• Like 3

Hi guys,

Announcement: We are supporting this tournament via our e-sports support program! #SNK #KOF98 https://twitter.com/Maniaxgaminghub/status/1407034855557324810 https://facebook.com/TekkenManiacx/posts/1723848844482196

Quote Tweet

nRp034dW_mini.jpg

Maniax Gaming Hub

@Maniaxgaminghub
· Jun 21

We are honored to announce we have approached @SNKPofficial for a Dojo like event for "The King of fighter's 98". Since KOF is the most played FG in Pakistan, we've created this opportunity for all the heroes from the past to prove their mettle before KOF XV arrives.
Show this thread

Anthony..

Hi guys,

14時からサムスピの配信します。おやつ食べながら雑談だけでもよろしければ是非。

Samurai will be delivered from 14:00. If you don't mind just chatting while eating a snack, please come.
Quote Tweet

I3COd2hD_mini.jpg

PGW公式

@PGW_GS
· 38m
【サムスピ】天草、響の研究と対戦など【伝タク】 14時から。https://youtu.be/EsuuHvDsbzI @YouTubeより

Anthony..

Hi guys,

【KOF XV】 Who's the newest character coming to KOF XV? Tune into tomorrow's character trailer to find out! Visit SNK's Official YouTube Channel for more info! >SNK YouTube Channel https://youtube.com/user/snkplaymoreGame

#SNK #KOF #KOF15

Anthony..

Hi guys,

Back with Kabuki Fox Kung Fu. Been awhile since we seen some SNK content from him. So let's see him in action with an unboxing of Fatal Fury for the Mega Drive/Genesis. Enjoy. :)

From the description,

"Check it out, we talk about the different versions of Fatal Fury and open a sweet Mega Drive version of the game, something tells me this is possibly a chinese "remake / knockoff", but it's still a pretty cool piece."

Anthony..

• Like 1

Hi guys,

【KOF XV】 TEAM SECRET AGENT is comprised of VANESSA, BLUE MARY, and LUONG! >VANESSA https://youtu.be/fb3ldoiHIIg

>BLUE MARY https://youtu.be/HkMYPJo4lfA

>LUONG https://youtu.be/opNubV7j1Tc

#SNK #KOF #KOF15

Anthony..

On 6/22/2021 at 9:20 PM, fdurso224 said:

Hi guys, Back with AtariAge member @DJ Clae. Here we see a great video from him with the unrealesed game of Dunk Star. Looks really cool. Enjoy. :)

From the description,

"This time on Neo Geo Generation we're talking about the unreleased basketball game, Dunk Star from Aicom and Sammy. This prototype cartridge remains unreleased to the public. Please visit NEOGEOPROTOS.COM for more information about this and other unreleased Neo Geo games:"

http://neogeoprotos.com/

Anthony...

Will have to look into Neo Geo prototypes for sure.

• Like 1

Hi guys,

NEOGEO memory cardチックなNESICAカードげと‼︎( ^ω^ ) 後期型デザイン…イカしている! 画像2枚目は本物のメモリーカード2種。 画像3枚目は4つ並べてみた!(`・ω・´;)

NEOGEO memory card Tic NESICA card  ︎ (^ ω ^) Late model design ... It's cool! The second image is two kinds of real memory cards. I tried arranging 4 of the 3rd images!(`・ω・´;)

Anthony..