IGNORED

The Official NEO-GEO Thread!

55 minutes ago, fdurso224 said:

From what I remember growing up Steve, the Neo-Geo uses what theeeeeey call "the fix layer". They use a non-scrolling single tilemap layer by relying solely on the drawing sprites to create the backgrounds. 

Anthony..

That's an interesting way to do it. I saw someone post on GameFAQs about how the Neo Geo can't rotate backgrounds or something and my initial thought was that the Neo Geo can't rotate backgrounds because it doesn't actually have backgrounds since everything is made with sprites. I might have to do some more investigation, as I'm rather interested in the way the Neo Geo works. I've been considering making a game for some time now and while I have absolutely no idea how to do that, the Neo Geo is one of the systems I'm considering making it for. The others are of course the Genesis/MD, 32X+Sega CD, or the SuperGrafx + CD + required Arcade Card. That SuperGrafx + required Arcade Card is especially interesting since there are no SuperGrafx games that require the Arcade Card, but I think the Neo Geo is probably my first choice overall if I knew how to actually make games.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

That's an interesting way to do it. I saw someone post on GameFAQs about how the Neo Geo can't rotate backgrounds or something and my initial thought was that the Neo Geo can't rotate backgrounds because it doesn't actually have backgrounds since everything is made with sprites. I might have to do some more investigation, as I'm rather interested in the way the Neo Geo works. I've been considering making a game for some time now and while I have absolutely no idea how to do that, the Neo Geo is one of the systems I'm considering making it for. The others are of course the Genesis/MD, 32X+Sega CD, or the SuperGrafx + CD + required Arcade Card. That SuperGrafx + required Arcade Card is especially interesting since there are no SuperGrafx games that require the Arcade Card, but I think the Neo Geo is probably my first choice overall if I knew how to actually make games.

Wow! That's amazing that you want to develop a Neo-Geo game Steve. I always wanted to do so, but never had the boldness to pursue it .

However, I was recently was reading this. A link on Neo-Geo assembly programming. Maybe this can be of help for you bro. :)

https://www.ajworld.net/neogeodev/beginner/

I also found this for you as well Steve.

https://github.com/dciabrin/ngdevkit

Anthony..

Edited by fdurso224
  • Like 2

On 8/19/2021 at 9:49 AM, Steven Pendleton said:

RetroTINK 5X Pro scheduled to show up in the next hour and 15 minutes. AES is one of the primary systems that I will be testing on it, as Andro Dunos has problems with signal loss on the OSSC on my monitor and Garou: Mark of the Wolves occasionally drops out as well.

I found a copy of that recently for maybe 5000 yen or something. It seems I might have to buy a copy.

I think it's pretty good,  it's mostly more of the same which is what I would ask of such a superb game... just with polygons and a different characters designer.

It also includes the original arcade game AND the Sega Saturn anime intro (just that, not the extra character and the other extras of the Saturn version).

11 hours ago, fdurso224 said:

Hi guys,

The August 2nd was a day of the bunny, but it looks like the 21th is also a day of the bunny... both days are right or i did a mistake?  Not that i will complain!  Shiranui Mai x Iroha  #不知火舞 #いろは #SNK #バニーの日 #バニーガールの日 #bunnyday

Anthony..

Wow, that's what I call a master piece!. It projects such a deep message, that it's hard to get all the little nuances... you have to wonder what were going on in the artist mind when creating it! ?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

So what's the deal with the Neo Geo's backgrounds? How do they work? I've heard that the Neo Geo doesn't actually have background layers and that it uses sprites to create everything, even the backgrounds.

I might be remembering this wrong, I think it has a very limited layer that is mainly used to show the UI of games (score, life's, etc.), but the game graphics (sprites, bg layers,  pictures) are wholly created using sprites. The point of this is for one that the NG can put on screen a massive (for the time) number of sprites (kind of like "we do it this way because we can!") and more importantly, the sprites are kind of weird, they can only have 16 pixels of wide, but can be up to like 2 or 3 screens of tall (512 pixels or something like that) and then the secret sauce, the way the NG can chain multiple sprites together like if it were 1 massive single sprite... or a BG layer, so an actual NG screen is created by a bunch of thin vertical stripes (sprites) stitched together, some are for creating the BG layers and some on top for the "usual" sprites.

@Steven Pendleton @fdurso224

Here's what you're thinking about, copy pasting this from another source that sourced the development information of the system.

The SNK custom video chipset allows the system to draw sprites in vertical strips which are 16 pixels wide, and can be 16 to 512 pixels tall; it can draw up to 96 sprites per scanline for a total of 380 sprites on the screen at a time. Unlike most other video game consoles of its time, the Neo Geo does not use scrolling tilemap background layers. Instead, it has a single non-scrolling tilemap layer called the fix layer, while any scrolling layers rely exclusively on drawing sprites to create the scrolling backgrounds (like the Sega Y Board). By laying multiple sprites side by side, the system can simulate a tilemap background layer. The Neo Geo sprite system represents a step between conventional sprites and tilemaps.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I added after so long 2 more MVS game to my cabinet, great deal on facebook from mexico (mike ortizz) who does incredible sales on there, overly fair pricing too.  I've got Metal Slug X and 3 now to go with my 1 and 2. :D

WOW Nice additions to add to the list Tanooki. Interestingly, 5 was actually my favorite. Here's my list of top to bottom Metal Slug favorites  for the Neo-Geo.

Metal Slug 5

Metal Slug 1

Metal Slug 3

Metal Slug X

Metal Slug 4

Metal Slug 2

Anthony..

17 hours ago, NeoPancho said:

Wow, that's what I call a master piece!. It projects such a deep message, that it's hard to get all the little nuances... you have to wonder what were going on in the artist mind when creating it! ?

Hahaha. I love this posting Pancho. So much truth to it for sure. :D :D

Anthony..

• Like 1

Hi guys,

This evening, we are with Chris Lotus. Want to take a Neo-Geo Music Quiz? Let's see how well you do. Enjoy. :)

From the description,

"Wanted to fill the SNK/Neo Geo shaped hole in the YouTube Music Quizzes. I wanted to do something different and fun to offset the seriousness of my previous video. I hope you enjoy this as much as I did making it. I discovered some new games to delve into, as well as some new fighting game music bangers. Non-quiz music used - "Fullmoon ~ Heartfull" (Hotaru Futaba Theme from Garou: Mark of the Wolves"

Anthony..

1 hour ago, fdurso224 said:

WOW Nice additions to add to the list Tanooki. Interestingly, 5 was actually my favorite. Here's my list of top to bottom Metal Slug favorites  for the Neo-Geo.

Metal Slug 5

Metal Slug 1

Metal Slug 3

Metal Slug X

Metal Slug 4

Metal Slug 2

Anthony..

Technically, I own the set, but that's because the 161in1 has 4, and the Neo Geo Mini has 4 and 5.  As far as I can tell 5 is overrated which with that list, you won't agree upon, and that 4 is crap.  2 gets a bad wrap due to the slowdown problems, but is otherwise pretty solid (I've had 1+2 since I got the cabinet over 5 years ago as it came with it.)  I'm not sure how I'd rate things, but 1 is still a favorite of mine.

• Like 1

Hi guys,

\Happy Birthday/ 本日8月23日は、KOF XIVでギース・ハワード役、SAMURAI SPIRITSで牙神幻十郎役のコング桑田さん( )のお誕生日です! おめでとうございます #SNK #KOF #サムスピ #コング桑田 さん
Translated from Japanese by

\ Happy Birthday  / Today, August 23, Kong Kuwata, who plays Geese Howard in KOF XIV and Genjuro Kibagami in SAMURAI SPIRITS ( )'S birthday! Congratulations  #SNK#KOF#サムスピ#コング桑田 Mr. Miss

Anthony..

Hi guys,

【MSA お知らせ】 Ver.6.11アップデートを実施! ショップでのユニットパーツの追加、チームボーナスの追加などの情報を記載しています! 詳細はアプリまたはサイト内のお知らせをご覧ください。 #MSA #メタルスラッグアタック https://game.snk-corp.co.jp/official/metalslug_attack/news/20210823_01dh2z3.html

[MSA Notice] Ver.6.11 update implemented! Information on adding unit parts, adding team bonuses, etc. in the shop is described! For details, please see the notice in the app or site. #MSA#メタルスラッグアタック https://game.snk-corp.co.jp/official/metalslug_attack/news/20210823_01dh2z3.html

Anthony..

Hi guys,

I am starting a séries of interviews on snk, i just learned that the system that was planes to take over the HNG64 was calmes "cube", may be a lead for the discovery of @turfmasta
#neogeo #hng64 #hyperneogeo64 #snkneogeo #arcades #arcade #retrogaming #retrogames

Anthony..

Today I learned some things about Neo Geo AES mode vs different bios settings.

The game's behavior in AES mode depends more on your actual cartridge's rom revision than your bios' settings.

If you have a game like Blue's Journey that has two versions, (one with 4 different difficulties to select from (Easy mode lets you start with 3 hearts) and only 4 credits/aka 3 continues after you start playing; the other with no difficulty options (starting with 2 hearts only) but unlimited continues, your bios default dip settings won't make much difference in AES mode.

I confirmed this by using a burned USA AES bios first, then tried the 4.0 Unibios.

For Blue's Journey, the Unibios 4.0 defaults its dip settings to Unlimited continues, but this does not matter. When you try to play the version of the  game with the options menu, you still only get 4 credits/3 continues. You can change the dip settings for the amount of lives you get with each continue and that will work, like I was able to increase it from 3 to 4 and it worked, but I tried changing the continues to 99 and it still did not work. The only thing that will bypass the limited continues is the Unibios' cheat menu. There is a cheat code for infinite credits AES.

I have not messed around with the infinite continues version yet. I don't know if the Unibios dip settings can force limited credits or not.

On the Neo SD Pro, dip settings are also built into that cartridge, but if you have a regular AES bios, those dip settings will only work if you tell the Neo SD Pro to run the games in MVS mode instead. With a regular AES bios, the option is grayed out.

This makes me wonder if maybe some of the other dip settings are as ineffective in AES mode as the continues. Maybe in AES mode, the difficulty dip settings don't actually change the game difficulty. In the past, I tried to play World Heroes for MVS in AES mode using the Unibios and change the difficulty to 1 because I was having a hard time beating a character, but it didn't seem any easier at all. AES mode might be stuck at difficulty 4 in some games unless you use the cheat menu.

At least when you turn the system off and back on, all the dip settings go back to their defaults. This makes me realize that my quest for a USA bios wasn't that important from a gaming standpoint. All it will do is make my very good condition boxed Gold system appear unmodified from the outside and functionally.

My collection of AES cartridges checked with the USA bios is as follows:

Blue's Journey (options menu, 4 credits) cartridge only

Blue's Journey (no options, unlimited credits) CIB

Magician Lord (no options menu, continue from checkpoint only, unlimited credits) cartridge only

Magician Lord (no options menu, continue from where you stood when you died, unlimited credits) CIB

Fatal Fury (options menu, 4 credits) CIB

Fatal Fury 2 (options menu, 4 credits) CIB Japanese copy

I wonder if it's more common for the AES games to have the limited credits or the unlimited credits? Another good question would be which revision is older than the other in each instance.

Edited by TheGameCollector
  • Like 1

Actually it looks like the difficulty settings in the bios do work in AES mode. In Blue's Journey non difficulty menu version with unlimited continues, you can both affect the difficulty and amount of continues to a point. Difficulty 4 has 2 hearts. Difficulty 1 still only has 2 hearts but gives you 300 seconds to clear a level. Difficulty 2 gives you 280 seconds to clear a level. Difficulty 8 only gives you 1 heart and even less than 200 seconds to clear a level.

In the other version with the difficulty menu, selecting hard mode is the only one that gives you just 1 heart to start with. That means you can't get hit and survive!

In the unlimited continues version, I was also able to decrease the amount of continues you have. While the counter that shows remaining amount of continues never appears, setting it to 3 continues made it so I got a game over after my 3rd attempt of using a continue.

Edited by TheGameCollector
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, TheGameCollector said:

WOW! This really is very informative TGC. Certianly will keep this for reference and to make note out of it. I'll contact @SpicedUp! who is in charge of NeoGeoForever to come by and past this along for him and the members over on the forums there for others to keep as reference as well bro.

Thank you for sharing this with us TGC. Great info to say the least. :)

Anthony..

• Like 1

Hi guys,

5タイトル賞金総額3,000万円をかけて開催される「日本・サウジアラビアeスポーツマッチ」、KOF XIV部門では日本代表選抜大会をオンラインにて9月4日(土)に開催します! エントリーは8月31日(火)まで、引き続き募集中です。 是非ご参加ください! エントリーサイト:https://smash.gg/tournament/e-kof-xiv-jpn-sau-esports-match-qualifying/

The "Japan-Saudi Arabia eSports Match", which will be held with a total prize pool of 30 million yen for 5 titles, will be held online on September 4th (Saturday) in the KOF XIV category! Entry is still open until August 31st (Tuesday). Please join us! Entry site:https://smash.gg/tournament/e-kof-xiv-jpn-sau-esports-match-qualifying/

Anthony..

Hi guys,

【MSA お知らせ】 本日より8月30日まで新イベント「GRAY TIGER」を開催中! ステージをクリアして「オーバークローラー II」や「ブラックスナイパー」をゲット! #MSA #メタルスラッグアタック https://game.snk-corp.co.jp/official/metalslug_attack/news/20210824_01abd72.html

[MSA Notice] A new event "GRAY TIGER" is being held from today to August 30th! Clear the stage and get "Over Crawler II" and "Black Sniper"! #MSA#メタルスラッグアタック https://game.snk-corp.co.jp/official/metalslug_attack/news/20210824_01abd72.html

Anthony..

Hi guys,

【ログインイベント開催のお知らせ】 エピックストーリーアップデート前夜祭 ログインイベント開催! イベント期間中、毎日ログインして 最大5,000個のキャンペーンルビーをGETしよう 開催期間:8/24 10:00~8/30 09:59 キャンペーンルビー使用期間:9/6 09:59まで #KOFAS #KOF

[Notice of login event] Epic Story Update Eve Festival Login Event Held! Log in daily to get up to 5,000 campaign rubies during the event  Holding period :8 / 24 10: 00-8 / 30 09:59 Campaign ruby usage period :9 / 6 until 09:59 #KOFAS#KOF

Anthony..

Hi guys,

First set of button PCBs arrived, but waiting for replacement cables so the board can be used with NGX joysticks, but in their current state, they can easily be used with an AES joystick. Probably unnecessary, but useful if you need to replace a dead/frayed cable. #NeoGeo #OMVS

Anthony..

• Like 1