IGNORED

The Official NEO-GEO Thread!

Hi guys,

1. 【なぜ金キャンペーン景品紹介①】 KOFASのスペシャルカードが純金カードに2757.png#KOFAS #なぜ金キャンペーン 24金と18金をふんだんに使用したカードは、 なんと20万円以上の価値がする超豪華仕様2728.png 是非この機会にキャンペーンにご参加下さい ■キャンペーン参加はこちら http://nmj.mn/39D09453 pic.twitter.com/JOxCOs0OJs

Translate Tweet
    Translated from Japanese by Microsoft

[Why Gold Campaign Prizes introduction ①] card with a special card of Kofas #KOFAS #なぜ金キャンペーン was used in abundance of 24 gold and 18 gold in the Gold card, ultra-luxurious specification that is worth more than 200,000 yen Please join ■ http://nmj.mn/39D09453 the campaign on this occasion

Du7RISMVsAAPnf8.jpg

Anthony...

Hi guys,

1. 【クリスマスイベントアイコン・壁紙プレゼントのお知らせ】 メリークリスマス・ファイターのTwitterアイコン及びスマートフォン用壁紙画像をプレゼント1f381.png 下記お知らせよりダウンロードいただけます! クリスマスはKOFASとともに1f385.png1f31f.png 詳細▼ https://kofallstar.netmarble.jp/notice/view.aspx?idx=7730&p=1 #KOFAS #KOF #KOFASクリスマスpic.twitter.com/tX7iRr4fa5

Translate Tweet

【 Christmas event icon/wallpaper giveaway 】 Merry Christmas fighter twitter icon and wallpaper image for smartphones can be downloaded from the following announcement! Christmas in ▼ https://kofallstar.netmarble.jp/notice/view.aspx?idx=7730&p=1 #KOFAS detail #KOF with #KOFASクリスマス Kofas

Du65ivhVsAI0TIE.jpg

Anthony...

Hi guys,

Back with Atariage member NoelComix. Here we see him in action and playing King of Fighters Neo Wave on the Montain Dew Xbox. Enjoy. :)

Anthony...

I had no idea this game came out on the Xbox! I have the Atomiswave version, but I should pick this up to give it a go! I learn something everytime I stop by.

• Like 1

Hi guys,

1. 【SNK Limited Store Festival!!】 明日から始まる「NEOGEO LAND Limited Shop in AKIBA」ただ今準備中です!ギースのしょうゆなどの店舗限定商品や人気のNEOGEO miniなどたくさんのSNK商品を販売します!ぜひお越しくださいませ! #SNK #NEOGEO #KOF ▼イベントページ http://indor.jp/neogeo-land/neogeo-land-akiba.html …pic.twitter.com/mavilN7eaR

Translate Tweet

[sNK Limited Store Festival!!] Starting tomorrow, "NeoGeo LAND Limited Shop in AKIBA" is in preparation! We sell a lot of SNK products such as store limited products and popular NeoGeo mini such as the geese soy sauce! Please come by all means! #SNK #NEOGEO #KOF ▼ Events Page http://indor.jp/neogeo-land/neogeo-land-akiba.html …

Du8cTvvVsAA5nZ6.jpg
    Du8cTvxUcAEIBpK.jpg
    Du8cTvtU0AE281b.jpg
    Du8cTvtU8AYEclO.jpg

Anthony...

Could this be Heavan?

• Like 2

I had no idea this game came out on the Xbox! I have the Atomiswave version, but I should pick this up to give it a go! I learn something everytime I stop by.

Hey Aaron,

Glad to see you back with us. Yeah bro, it was available for the Xbox and it sells off Ebay for $60 complete as the cheapest. But worth having in the collection no doubt. :)

Anthony..

Hi guys,

1. WJtYSpFC_bigger.jpgNeo Geo World Tour @neogeoworldtour 21h21 hours ago
    • Add to other Moment
    • Add to new Moment

#NGWT2 Macau Stop KOF XIV results: Winner CG|Lau 2nd Qanba x Douyu|XiaoHai 3rd CG|APac Congratulations to everybody and especially to Lau to qualify for the Global Finals! @SNKPofficial @SNKAofficial @SNKPofficial_jp @snk_oda @brookgamingfans @Xiaohai_ @CorrivalGpic.twitter.com/eceeneiJoU

DvGLxGTX4AAqK8p.jpg

Anthony..

Hi guys,

1. #NGWT2 is coming to KSB2019 In May 2019! Partnering up with @kvojapan, a highly respected and one of the biggest fighting game tournaments in Osaka, Japan for our KOF XIV qualifier. @SNKPofficial_jp @SNKPofficial @SNKAofficial @snk_oda @brookgamingfanspic.twitter.com/LGA5sFH7fK

DvGO4wTWwAAXeB-.jpg

Anthony...

Hi guys,

1. ギースのしょうゆ。早速購入してきました!MVS筐体飴の空箱は、玩具と並べるといい感じに(╹◡╹)また飴はロゴマークになってました。 フリーで遊べる筐体があったので、子供が挑むも1人目で負けてた。Level4設定でした。pic.twitter.com/IRqjLdTsrr

Translate Tweet

Geese's soy sauce. I have to buy immediately! The empty box of the MVS enclosure candy was made to be good when lining up with the toy () and the candy was a ╹◡╹ logo mark. Because there was a free-to-play enclosure, it was defeated by the first person to challenge the child. Level4 did the setting.

DvAy53KU0AA_0d8.jpg
    DvAy53IVsAEUwJG.jpg
    DvAy53HVAAAffT0.jpg

Anthony...

• Like 1

Hi guys,

1. ギースのしょうゆ、ラベルをよく見たら「烈風軒 謹製」って。ロゴもあるよ。pic.twitter.com/EuLnGJr0uB

Translate Tweet

If you look at geese ' soy sauce and labels, you'll see the "Kazaze Hotel". There is a logo, too.

DvAbSJrUwAA-QcC.jpg
    DvAbSg8V4AE2zM_.jpg

Anthony...

• Like 1

Hi guys,

1. 1f3c6.png#NEOGEO_LAND 通販もやってます1f3c6.png 伝説のあの、#ネオジオランド が秋葉原に復活2049.png NEOGEO LAND Limited Shop in AKIBAの通販サイトはこちら203c.png 通販サイト1f449.pnghttp://indor-store.jp/shopbrand/neogeo-land/ 商品詳細1f449.pnghttp://indor.jp/neogeo-land/neogeo-land-akiba.html pic.twitter.com/93b3faPAqZ

Translate Tweet

#NEOGEO_LAND I also do mail order legendary,#ネオジオランド but revived in Akihabara ⁉️ neogeo LAND Limited Shop in Akiba mail order site ‼️ http://indor-store.jp/shopbrand/neogeo-land/ Product Details http://indor.jp/neogeo-land/neogeo-land-akiba.html

Du_kQUVUYAUQMH9.jpg

Anthony...

Hi guys,

1. From tomorrow, #NEOGEOLAND will be held in Akihabara, Tokyo. There are 2 months, so please come when u come to Japan. There are also tourist information offices for foreigners. It is close to Akihabara Station. http://u0u0.net/OIeB 2018/12/22-2019/2/20 #THE_AKIHABARA_CONTAiNERpic.twitter.com/Ik93VsQy6U

Du8hBDMUUAAuR4q.jpg

Anthony...

Hi guys,

1. 22日にアキバにオープンしたNEOGEOLANDに行ってきました。 今までのSNKショップ出張店の中で一番お洒落だった。 スペース的には池袋ロフトが一番広かったけど。 原宿キディランドはガッカリレベルの狭さだった。 目的のギースの醤油はゲットできた。 ついでにジョッキとか飴(箱がMVS型)とか購入。pic.twitter.com/7QyQffhmF5

Translate Tweet

I went to Neogeoland, which opened in Akiba on the 22nd. It was the most fashionable of the SNK shop business trip shop up to now. Ikebukuro Loft was the most spacious space. Harajuku Kidieland was narrow in disappointment level. I can get the soy sauce of the purpose geese. I bought a mug or a candy (box MVS type).

DvOa2sRUcAAIXyV.jpg
    DvOa8XDUUAA9d9U.jpg
    DvOa97LU0AAXLDp.jpg
    DvOa_avUUAAK2lj.jpg

Anthony..

Hi guys,

1. NEOGEOLAND秋葉原行ってきた 推しのグッズを20年越しに手に入れた pic.twitter.com/BcFyTRg53D

Translate Tweet

Neogeoland Akihabara I got the goods of the pushing that I went to 20 year-eve.

DvF_WgXUYAYhMhG.jpg
    DvF_WgYUcAAGNao.jpg
    DvF_WgXVYAIx2uP.jpg

Anthony..

• Like 1

Hi guys,

1. NEOGEO LAND店内には商品の展示ももちろんあります(`・ω・´) 遠方の方には通販サイトももちろんご用意( ˘ω˘) 是非是非チェックしてくださいね♡ http://ur0.biz/OICB 通販はサイトこちら☞http://ur0.biz/OICJ #THE_AKIHABARA_CONTAiNER #NEOGEOLAND #SNKpic.twitter.com/5DnqIFfflm

Translate Tweet

NeoGeo Land There is of course also the exhibition of goods in the shop for the (`・ω・´) shopping site of course also available (̆ ω ̆) please ♡ http://ur0.biz/OICB http://ur0.biz/OICJ #THE_AKIHABARA_CONTAiNER #NEOGEOLAND #SNK check by all means

DvE2J7zUYAAbyhW.jpg

Anthony...

• Like 1

Hi guys,

Wishing you and your love ones a Merry Christmas. Thank you to our members and guest that come by, support, and post away with us and hope you all have a wonderful day with family, friends, and Neo-Geo. Enjoy fellas. :)

B5mscj-CYAExcqH.jpg

01ev7tB.jpg

2120017178.jpg

C0T4nHDUcAAmPKI.jpg

71qk6tQvK4L._SX466_.jpg

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224
  • Like 2

Hi guys,

Here's a post that I did last year regarding fried chicken as a traditional Christmas delicacy in Japan. Enjoy. :)

Also a big hint is why Andy is wolfing down the fried chicken. :lol:

Long ago, an American male bought a fried chicken at Christmas. Because turkeys are not readily available in Japan. So in Japan there are many families who eat fried chicken at Christmas. A white suit with a white beard is a trademark, very famous fried chicken shop1f601.pngpic.twitter.com/CQW5Gdc3yV

DRaVk_iVQAAKTqC.jpg
How a fast-food marketing campaign turned into a widespread Yuletide tradition for millions.

By Eric Barton

19 December 2016

Every Christmas, Ryohei Ando gathers his family together for a holiday tradition. Just like their father did as a child, his two children will reach deep into a red-and-white bucket and pick out the best piece of fried chicken they can find.

Yes, it’s a Merry KFC Christmas for the Ando family. It may seem odd anywhere outside Japan, but Ando’s family and millions of others would never let a Christmas go by without Kentucky Fried Chicken. Every Christmas season an estimated 3.6 million Japanese families treat themselves to fried chicken from the American fast-food chain, in what has become a nationwide tradition.

Every Christmas season, an estimated 3.6 million Japanese families treat themselves to Kentucky Fried Chicken, in what has become a nationwide tradition

“My kids, they think it’s natural,” says Ando, a 40-year-old in the marketing department of a Tokyo sporting goods company.

p04lq35s.jpg

Demand is so high for KFC at Christmastime that people can queue outside for meals (Credit: KFC Japan)

While millions do celebrate Christmas with KFC, others in Japan treat it as a romantic holiday similar to Valentine’s Day, and couples mark the occasion with dinner in upscale restaurants. For other Japanese families, Christmas is acknowledged but not celebrated in any particular way.

But for those who do partake, it’s not as simple as walking in and ordering. December is a busy month for KFC in Japan – daily sales at some restaurants during the Christmas period can be 10 times their usual take. Getting the KFC special Christmas dinner often requires ordering it weeks in advance, and those who didn’t will wait in line, sometimes for hours.

The genesis of Japan’s KFC tradition is a tale of corporate promotion that any business heading to Japan ought to study, one that sounds almost like a holiday parable.

‘Kentucky for Christmas’

According to KFC Japan spokeswoman Motoichi Nakatani, it started thanks to Takeshi Okawara, the manager of the first KFC in the country. Shortly after it opened in 1970, Okawara woke up at midnight and jotted down an idea that came to him in a dream: a “party barrel” to be sold on Christmas.

Okawara dreamed up the idea after overhearing a couple of foreigners in his store talk about how they missed having turkey for Christmas, according to Nakatani. Okawara hoped a Christmas dinner of fried chicken could be a fine substitute, and so he began marketing his Party Barrel as a way to celebrate the holiday.

In 1974, KFC took the marketing plan national, calling it Kurisumasu ni wa Kentakkii, or Kentucky for Christmas. It took off quickly, and so did the Harvard-educated Okawara, who climbed through the company ranks and served as president and CEO of Kentucky Fried Chicken Japan from 1984 to 2002.

In 1974, KFC took the marketing plan national, calling it Kurisumasu ni wa Kentakkii, or Kentucky for Christmas

p04lq2z7.jpg

People walk beneath Christmas decorations in the Marunouchi shopping district of Tokyo on December 2, 2016 (Credit: Getty Images)

The Party Barrel for Christmas became almost immediately a national phenomenon, says Joonas Rokka, associate professor of marketing at Emlyon Business School in France. He has studied the KFC Christmas in Japan as a model promotions campaign.

“It filled a void,” Rokka says. “There was no tradition of Christmas in Japan, and so KFC came in and said, this is what you should do on Christmas.”

Advertisements for the company’s Christmas meals show happy Japanese families crowding around barrels of fried chicken. But it’s not just breasts and thighs – the meals have morphed into special family meal-sized boxes filled with chicken, cake, and wine. This year, the company is selling Kentucky Christmas dinner packages that range from a box of chicken for 3,780 yen, ($32), up to a “premium” whole-roasted chicken and sides for 5,800 yen. According to KFC, the packages account for about a third of the chain’s yearly sales in Japan.

It also helped that the stores dressed up the company mascot, the smiling white-haired Colonel Sanders, in Santa outfits. In a country that puts high value on its elders, the red satin-suited Sanders soon became a symbol of a holiday.

‘One of the strangest things I’ve heard’

This phenomenon is unique to Japan – and can seem strange to some outside the country. The idea is unlikely to take off in the home of KFC, says Kevin Gillespie, chef of two restaurants in Atlanta, Georgia.

“KFC on Christmas. It’s one of the strangest things I’ve heard,” Gillespie says. “If you brought a bucket of fried chicken to Christmas dinner, honestly, I’d be mad at you.”

If you brought a bucket of fried chicken to Christmas dinner, honestly, I’d be mad at you

It isn’t a crack on KFC’s products necessarily, says Gillespie. The general idea of bringing fast food to Christmas dinner “would be viewed as rude by most anyone,” Gillespie says.

In Japan, however, where around 1% of the population is Christian, Christmas isn’t an official holiday, Rokka says. So the idea that families are going to spend all day cooking a ham or turkey and side dishes just isn’t practical. Instead, they show up with a bucket of chicken.

“This is another sign of globalisation, where consumer rituals spread to other countries and often get translated in different ways,” Rokka says. “It’s not abnormal now to have an Ikea store everywhere in the world. This KFC for Christmas is just taking our consumerism and turning it into a holiday.”

This is another sign of globalisation, where rituals spread to other countries and get translated in different ways

p04lq37w.jpg

After the manager of Japan’s first KFC overheard foreigners talk of how they missed Christmas turkey, a nationwide tradition was born (Credit: Getty Images)

An excuse for a reunion

Having done some travelling abroad, Ando knows that his country might is alone in celebrating Christmas with a bucket of KFC. But for him, he sees the tradition as more than just a company promotion.

For Ando, he’s still planning to get KFC for his kids this year. But he goes to a bakery for the Christmas cake. On Christmas night, the family will gather around the KFC bucket, just as Ando once did as a child, and just as his children will do in another generation.

It’s not about the chicken. It’s about getting the family together

“It’s kind of a symbol of family reunion,” Ando says. “It’s not about the chicken. It’s about getting the family together, and then there just happens to be chicken as part of it.”

To comment on this story or anything else you have seen on BBC Capital, please head over to our Facebook page or message us on Twitter.

Anthony..

Edited by fdurso224