IGNORED

The Official NEO-GEO Thread!

Well, I'm going to take a risk here and try out ACA NEOGEO for the first time. I just got a $35 code from Amazon, so I can get 4.3804755944931163954943679599499 games. Obviously I can't get 0.3804755944931163954943679599499 of a game, so I'll get 1 or 2 for now to see how they are. There are so many good Neo Geo games available so I'm wavering, but probably Neo Turf Masters and Shock Troopers to start and then maybe Garou: Mark of the Wolves/KOF '98 or a Metal Slug.

It's going to feel really strange playing Neo Geo games with the wrong controller, but I'll do this on the Switch since there's no point in getting them on other systems when the Switch (theoretically) will run and look the same while also being portable and also having the analog stick as a rough approximation of the clicky stick on the Neo Geo CD controller and the Neo Geo X since the Switch puts it in about the same location as the clicky stick.

Okay, I got Neo Turf Masters just to test it. Starts up with the option of either Japanese or English version (yes, English version, not international version) as well as high score and caravan modes, looks fine in the menu, almost completely customizable controls (can't use the + and - buttons), but then I immediately see a huge problem: scaling. It doesn't seem to scale properly at all unless you set the size and ratio options to 100, which of course results in a tiny image. If you don't, you'll get a bunch of unevenly scaled pixels, which looks terrible.

I was going to buy a few of these, but I think now I'll go spend that money on other things instead. At least I have portable Neo Turf Masters. Actually Big Tournament Golf because of the thing with the name, but yeah.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 1

Okay, so after some testing, I have learned some stuff. First, handheld mode looks way better with the uneven scaling, and I think this might be due to the Switch screen resolution being 1280 x 720 instead of my monitor's 1980 x 1080, although I'm not sure what resolution these run at in docked mode. Setting it to 150 size and 100 ratio seems to look nice enough and big enough for both docked and handheld. The optional scanlines are horrible since they add a very nasty blur filter that just looks terrible. There's also another setting that gives you like a rolling sweep thingy that goes up the screen. I have absolutely no idea why you'd want this, but okay.

So, am I being picky? Maybe, but having proper scaling options, or, even better, a single properly scaled setting with interpolation (none of that 16:9 crap, just a single properly scaled 4:3 + h interpolation with a good optional hybrid scanline option) is something that ALL rereleases should have. Someone will doubtlessly say "but you have to be sitting 2 feet away from your display to notice!", to which I respond with yes, I do, because the only display I have aside from my CRT is my PC monitor, which of course I sit about 20 inches away from, so I notice things like this easily.

I may go ahead and get a few more of these, as I was originally planning. We'll see.

Forgot to mention that these only let you play in MVS mode, so if you want to play it in AES mode, too bad because you can't.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Okay, so after some testing, I have learned some stuff. First, handheld mode looks way better with the uneven scaling, and I think this might be due to the Switch screen resolution being 1280 x 720 instead of my monitor's 1980 x 1080, although I'm not sure what resolution these run at in docked mode. Setting it to 150 size and 100 ratio seems to look nice enough and big enough for both docked and handheld. The optional scanlines are horrible since they add a very nasty blur filter that just looks terrible. There's also another setting that gives you like a rolling sweep thingy that goes up the screen. I have absolutely no idea why you'd want this, but okay.

So, am I being picky? Maybe, but having proper scaling options, or, even better, a single properly scaled setting with interpolation (none of that 16:9 crap, just a single properly scaled 4:3 + h interpolation with a good optional hybrid scanline option) is something that ALL rereleases should have. Someone will doubtlessly say "but you have to be sitting 2 feet away from your display to notice!", to which I respond with yes, I do, because the only display I have aside from my CRT is my PC monitor, which of course I sit about 20 inches away from, so I notice things like this easily.

I may go ahead and get a few more of these, as I was originally planning. We'll see.

Forgot to mention that these only let you play in MVS mode, so if you want to play it in AES mode, too bad because you can't.

Good to know Steve. I have a few of the ACA Neo Geo games in the collection to play for easy access. But your postings of them are really extensive and good to know on what you think of them to help us with better guidance especially with the scaling and ratio numbers, I don't usually alter since I feel it's the correct numbers for me, but seeing that you tried them, I have to see if any improvements would work for my advance as well.

Thanks Steve for sharing your info with us. 8^)

Anthony..

Hi guys,

■商品情報■トレーディングビジュアルステッカーVol.1 往年のSNKファン待望の激シブタイトルがラインナップされた、正直全部当たりのステッカーです

#ゲーマント #怒 #怒号層圏 #TANK #マジシャンロード #ベースボールスター #ATHENA #NAM1975 #100MSHOP #NEOGEO #ハワコネ #SNK #INDOR

Anthony...

• Like 1

Hi guys,

北米版PS4/PSvitaソフト「THE KING OF FIGHTERS '97 GLOBAL MATCH」が数量限定で販売!世界を熱狂させた「KOFオロチ編」最終章。オンライン対戦機能を搭載し、ついに登場! ※本商品は過去米Limited Run Gamesより発売した数量限定商品と同一です。 ★詳しくはコチラ★ https://snk-onlineshop.com/topics_detail.html?info_id=286

#SNK
Translated from Japanese by
North American version PS4 / PS vita software "THE KING OF FIGHTERS '97 GLOBAL MATCH" is on sale in limited quantities! The final chapter of "KOF Orochi" that made the world enthusiastic. Equipped with an online battle function, it is finally here! ※ This product is the same as the limited quantity product released by Limited Run Games in the past. ★ Click here for details ★ https://snk-onlineshop.com/topics_detail.html?info_id=286

#SNK

Anthony

Hi guys,

【MSA お知らせ】 Ver.5.14.0アップデートを実施! ショップでのユニットパーツの追加、チームボーナスの追加などの情報を記載しています! 詳細はアプリまたはサイト内のお知らせをご覧ください。 #MSA #メタルスラッグアタック https://game.snk-corp.co.jp/official/metalslug_attack/news/20201009_01w0sa9.html

[MSA Notice] Ver.5.14.0 updated! Information on adding unit parts, adding team bonuses, etc. in the shop is described! For details, please see the notice in the app or site. #MSA#メタルスラッグアタック https://game.snk-corp.co.jp/official/metalslug_attack/news/20201009_01w0sa9.html

Anthony..
  • Like 1

Hi guys,

Como mola los emuladores que puedes jugar y descubrir juegos que nunca has jugado. Hoy he conocido Nightmare in the Dark de neogeo. Me ha parecido muy curioso el snow Bros de halloween pero tiene cosas diferentes. Me ha gustado mucho lo he puesto en favoritos
Translated from Spanish by
How cool emulators you can play and discover games you've never played before. Today I met Neogeo's Nightmare in the Dark. I found the Halloween Snow Bros very curious but it has different things. I liked it a lot I have put it in favorites

Anthony..

• Like 1

Hi guys,

美品のSNK基板箱が出てきました! ロゴを見るにネオジオ直前の時代のものかと思われます。サイズ的に航空騎兵物語などは入らなさそうです。 (羽生の山ちゃん)
A beautiful SNK board box has come out! Looking at the logo, it seems to be from the era just before Neo Geo. It seems that the size of the chopper I will not be included. (Yama-chan, Hanyu)

Anthony..

Hi guys,

■入荷情報■ 可愛さに胸を打たれてしまうATHENAクッションが、現在お品切れ中です

近日中に入荷予定ですので、もうしばらくお待ちください┏● 入荷情報はこちらのアカウントにてお知らせ致します! #100MSHOP #SNK #NEOGEO #ハワコネ #INDOR
■ Arrival information ■ The ATHENA cushion, which is so cute, is currently out of stock.

It will be in stock soon, so please wait for a while.┏● We will inform you of the arrival information with this account! #100MSHOP#SNK#NEOGEO#ハワコネ#INDOR

Anthony..

Hi guys,

■商品情報■ オールスターアクリルスタンド #草薙京#テリー・ボガード だけじゃない! #風雲黙示録#ショー・疾風 #獅子王#ボブ・ウィルソン など、1995年当時の新キャラ盛りだくさんのちょっと珍しい組み合わせのアクリルスタンド、レアですよ♡ #100MSHOP #SNK #NEOGEO #ハワコネ
■ Product information ■ All-star acrylic stand #草薙京 Or #テリー・ボガード Not just! #風雲黙示録 of #ショー・疾風#獅子王 Or #ボブ・ウィルソン It's a rare acrylic stand with a lot of new characters from 1995.♡ #100MSHOP#SNK#NEOGEO#ハワコネ

Anthony..

Hi guys,

台風が来てるし、行くなら今しかないと思って行ってきましたハワコネ展。 ロゴがカッコいいよね、ギースタワーの入り口とかに本当に掲げてそう。 あと、クラークのアクリル ストッパーがクソでか過ぎて笑うとこだったw
The typhoon is coming, and I thought it was the only time to go to the Hawakone exhibition. The logo is cool, so it's really like putting it up at the entrance of Geese Tower. Also, Clark's acrylic stopper was so shit that he laughed.

Anthony..

Hi guys,

Xl5t1-fb_bigger.jpgAZA @55bb89

本日は夕方から仕事、、、(´・ω・`) はいそうです。仕事前に行ってきましたさっき開幕したハワードコネクション展笑 ギ椅子は貴族様しか購入できませんね笑
Work from the evening today ...(´・ω・`) Yes, it is. I went before work Howard Connection Exhibition that just opened lol Gi chairs can only be purchased by aristocrats lol

Anthony..

Here's the review I've been waiting for, the one from RetroRGB. Bob will absolutely trash this thing if it's bad, so I'm going to watch it and see what he has to say!

https://www.retrorgb.com/neo-geo-mvs-x-review.html

Having finished watching it just now, it seems decent overall. 2 good video options + a bunch of weird video options, 30~40ms of lag, and some concern about the durability of the stick, but not bad. I can't justify it for that price, though, especially when I can just use my real Neo Geo.

I do LOVE Bob's MiniMVS, though... I saw it in another video the other day and it made me seriously consider buying the NeoSD Pro MVS while it's still available. Damn that MiniMVS is awesome!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Here's the review I've been waiting for, the one from RetroRGB. Bob will absolutely trash this thing if it's bad, so I'm going to watch it and see what he has to say!

https://www.retrorgb.com/neo-geo-mvs-x-review.html

Having finished watching it just now, it seems decent overall. 2 good video options + a bunch of weird video options, 30~40ms of lag, and some concern about the durability of the stick, but not bad. I can't justify it for that price, though, especially when I can just use my real Neo Geo.

I do LOVE Bob's MiniMVS, though... I saw it in another video the other day and it made me seriously consider buying the NeoSD Pro MVS while it's still available. Damn that MiniMVS is awesome!

Thank you for sharing the link Steve. Glad to see in the video that he linked it I just finished seeing it and I think it's not bad either. A tough purchase for me since I want original hardware, and many in the community think it's a good unit overall compared to others that want to make a quick buck. I wouldn't mind buying it as a second or third option. But it looks like it can do the job right despite I never heard of the company Unico before. 

Anthony..

Edited by fdurso224

Hi guys,

Back with new AariAge member Aaron from aaron_analog. Here we see him discussing the Neo-Geo AES Levelhike HDMI Cable. Sounds good Aaron. Let's listen in shall we? :)

From the description,

"Levelhike HDMI cable for NEOGEO AES: Unboxing, product test, compare video & audio quality to composite, where to purchase, and a quick review of the cable."

Anthony..

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, fdurso224 said:

Hi guys,

Back with new AariAge member Aaron from aaron_analog. Here we see him discussing the Neo-Geo AES Levelhike HDMI Cable. Sounds good Aaron. Let's listen in shall we? :)

From the description,

"Levelhike HDMI cable for NEOGEO AES: Unboxing, product test, compare video & audio quality to composite, where to purchase, and a quick review of the cable."

Anthony..

Thank you so much! I'll be putting this cable head-2-head against the Hyperkin HDMI cable in a video next week. The results may surprise you...

I am in no way affiliated with the Dark Soft AES Multicart product, but I figured I would give a heads up on the reduced price of it here:

https://highscoresave.com/neo-geo-multi-aes-cart/

Apparently there's 23 of these left and no plans on manufacturing any more. Dark Soft has made a comment in the arcade project forums that there will most likely not be any more AES versions released and hinted that the demand just was not there for the AES platform. MVS versions will continue from what he has said.

I personally own one of these and I can say without question that it is a great product. It does have some bugs (sometimes no sound until a reboot) but very minor. The price is right, the build quality is excellent, it comes in a nice snap case with box protector and it flashes three games in 30-45 seconds.

Again, I am not affiliated with Dark Soft or the product in any other way than the fact that I just wanted a multicart that had the best options at the best price...so I chose this. Really glad I did!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, aaron_analog said:

My GF's daughter drew this for me yesterday! She used her new set of fancy markers, I'm so impressed, and such a lucky dude. I almost cried!

Oh man! This is really cool Aaron. So cool of her to draw this for you. Nice artwork. Maybe she can draw more for you with other characters in the SNK lineup bro?

Anthony..

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, eightbit said:

I am in no way affiliated with the Dark Soft AES Multicart product, but I figured I would give a heads up on the reduced price of it here:

https://highscoresave.com/neo-geo-multi-aes-cart/

Apparently there's 23 of these left and no plans on manufacturing any more. Dark Soft has made a comment in the arcade project forums that there will most likely not be any more AES versions released and hinted that the demand just was not there for the AES platform. MVS versions will continue from what he has said.

I personally own one of these and I can say without question that it is a great product. It does have some bugs (sometimes no sound until a reboot) but very minor. The price is right, the build quality is excellent, it comes in a nice snap case with box protector and it flashes three games in 30-45 seconds.

Again, I am not affiliated with Dark Soft or the product in any other way than the fact that I just wanted a multicart that had the best options at the best price...so I chose this. Really glad I did!

Oh wow! That's interesting to know eightbit. Not a bad price at all for $425 Dollars. Shame that he wants to take into consideration on halting AES versions. But if the MVS sales of the multicarts are doing better, then he should continue on that route. Only 23 are left. I need to make a decision sooner now after seeing the link.

Thank you for the heads up eightbit, will certainly be keeping this in mind. 

Anthony...

• Like 1