IGNORED

Contiki coming to the Jaguar...

Clint Thompson

Man, I love it when they figure out how to do things that everyone always thought was impossible. 8-bits on the internet. hahaha.

Heh... those "8-bits" (computers) are swimming in RAM. About 3 years ago I wrote a TCP/IP stack which has more features and even does packet reassembly (disabled in contiki) and runs in little 8-bit uPs like 68HC11's and PIC uPs... and those things have almost no RAM and tiny 4K ROMS. Not to take anything away from this project... I'm just pointing out that I don't think anyone thought these things were "impossible". If they thought that nobody would have tried it, and nobody would have contracted me to do one for them...

Man, I love it when they figure out how to do things that everyone always thought was impossible. 8-bits on the internet. hahaha.

Heh... those "8-bits" (computers) are swimming in RAM. About 3 years ago I wrote a TCP/IP stack which has more features and even does packet reassembly (disabled in contiki) and runs in little 8-bit uPs like 68HC11's and PIC uPs... and those things have almost no RAM and tiny 4K ROMS. Not to take anything away from this project... I'm just pointing out that I don't think anyone thought these things were "impossible". If they thought that nobody would have tried it, and nobody would have contracted me to do one for them...

Yep my Atari 130XE 8-bit is 'swimming in RAM it has already 1Mb expanded memory and that's even not enough will be 16Mb sometime.. haha 8x more then the Jaguar..... :D

Hi!

erm, right next to the Atari Jaguar screenshot of the program...

The Atari Jaguar port is being developed by Matthias Domin.    

:P

Yes, i got the Contiki-source last week from Adam.

Porting a text-based GUI written in C to the Jaguar isn't that hard,

but implementing a good keyboard replacement is :(

And sometimes i am thinking i should have cared more about using the blitter during the last 7 years...

Regards

Matthias

Sounds like there will be a ScatAmaran ;-)

Matthias

I'm puzzled by this. Although it looks very interesting from a technical point of view, what use would it be without a working modem? :?

I thought the UART bugs were so bad it made it impossible to use a standard RS-232 modem with a Jaguar....

Yep my Atari 130XE 8-bit is 'swimming in RAM it has already 1Mb expanded memory and that's even not enough will be 16Mb sometime.. haha 8x more then the Jaguar..... :D

Thats VERY cool! I'm going to be upgrading my 130XE to 1 meg soon, and my 1040STf is going to get the 4meg treatment as well (not to mention several other upgrades to both!) I'm going to be getting my ST online with MINT/CAB TCP/IP stacker/browser/os setups, but as far as my XE, I thought i'd be stuck with terminal emulation. This Contiki sounds awsome though, and seems to be coming at just the right time! With it and my A.P.E setup, I can have access to my PC modem and hardrive to REALLY push this baby! I'm definately looking forward to browsing the net with my Jag and possibly Lynx too! This is all too cool! 8) maybe it will get ported to the 2600, 5200 and 7800 too! Could you imagine...the 2600 with the supercharger and keyboard running on the net? Maybe it would need a bit of memory added into the Contiki "cart" or something, but... :P

Ultimately I find none of this surprising. Seven years ago when I was starting college, I watched a friend in the dorms access the VAX system at our school using a C-64, 300 baud modem dial-up, and a program he wrote himself. If you can do that, web browsing in plain text is not that big of a step up. I'd be more impressed to actually see them handle simple .jpg and .gif web pages (say Netscape 1.1 complaint).

Ultimately I find none of this surprising.  Seven years ago when I was starting college, I watched a friend in the dorms access the VAX system at our school using a C-64, 300 baud modem dial-up, and a program he wrote himself.  If you can do that, web browsing in plain text is not that big of a step up.  I'd be more impressed to actually see them handle simple .jpg and .gif web pages (say Netscape 1.1 complaint).

Yes, the Jaguar should be able to handle that without any trouble!

Ultimately I find none of this surprising.  Seven years ago when I was starting college, I watched a friend in the dorms access the VAX system at our school using a C-64, 300 baud modem dial-up, and a program he wrote himself.  If you can do that, web browsing in plain text is not that big of a step up.  I'd be more impressed to actually see them handle simple .jpg and .gif web pages (say Netscape 1.1 complaint).

That was nothing new even 7 or 10 ro more years ago! Terminal emulators have been around for 8 and 16-bit computers of the 70's&80's since the early to mid 80's! When I was in college 10 years ago, I had my Atari 130XE hooked up to the school's main frame with access to VAX, Lynx, WWW (what it was at that itme), and some other sytem that I forget the name of now, with a "kermit" terminal emulation program and 2400 baud modem. The program I used was written for the 48k atari 800 years before that! it was a PD progam too! Atari ST systems have a similiar terminal emulator as a desk accessory to the GEM desktop! it came with the "Start" disk automatically way back when the ST first came out. But this is (Contiki) to access the internet as we know it today! Even if it is just text based like those early terminal emulators, it can access infinately more information.