IGNORED

Atari Jaguar Capabilities

ydcl

Hi all,

Been playing my Jaguar again and ejoying Tempest 2000 and started to wonder.

If Atari had some money back then and a good game making team, could the Jaguar handle PS1 quality games?

Weren't the PS1 and Jaguar similar in hardware?

What are some homebrews that show excellent qualities of the Jaguar?

Let me know, cheers!

Yan

No.

No.

What are some commercial games that show excellent qualities of the Jaguar?

Let me know, cheers!

Kevin

Doom for the Jaguar is excellent. I personally own it.

I just wondered what the system could have done it they were given some finaces and a good third party support.

Doom for the Jaguar is excellent. I personally own it.

I just wondered what the system could have done it they were given some finaces and a good third party support.

It's difficult to see how you would find anything to support that idea from hobbyists 20 years after the console released.

If you want to see what the system could have done with masses of finances and good 3rd party support, an alternate universe might be your only hope.

There are dozens of threads discussing what the Jaguar could and couldn't do and how it compared to the playstation, a machine that released almost 2 years later in the USA (for reference, that's around 2 years later than the SNES in the USA... which is handy as it quite nicely illustrates not only where the Jaguar sits in the hardware timeline but also its capabilities relative to hardware before and afterwards... oddly though, not so many people post asking how the Jaguar compares to a SNES...).

ps Yes, Doom is excellent on the Jaguar.

• Like 7

It's difficult to see how you would find anything to support that idea from hobbyists 20 years after the console released.

If you want to see what the system could have done with masses of finances and good 3rd party support, an alternate universe might be your only hope.

There are dozens of threads discussing what the Jaguar could and couldn't do and how it compared to the playstation, a machine that released almost 2 years later in the USA (for reference, that's around 2 years later than the SNES in the USA... which is handy as it quite nicely illustrates not only where the Jaguar sits in the hardware timeline but also its capabilities relative to hardware before and afterwards... oddly though, not so many people post asking how the Jaguar compares to a SNES...).

ps Yes, Doom is excellent on the Jaguar.

Wow...

Okay...

I regularly discuss in history forums "what if's" and is a lot of fun to think out some stuff, even though it might be a 1000 years old.

So I thought it would interesting to discuss some what if's of video games, that's all.

Wow...

Okay...

I regularly discuss in history forums "what if's" and is a lot of fun to think out some stuff, even though it might be a 1000 years old.

So I thought it would interesting to discuss some what if's of video games, that's all.

That's great.. except this topic has likely been brought up a few hundred times over the last twenty years (no joke.. probably more). It's long in the tooth, that's all. Feel free to continue to speculate, or make your life easier (or harder, depending on how you look at it :evil: ) and maybe bump one of the old threads. :)

• Like 4

Yeah. This thread topic is old, super dead donkey beaten to floor rug/pancake territory.

That said, I played the Cart version of Iron Soldier II last night and the quality of it blew my socks off!

Really impressive looking stuff and... that framerate! :-o

How does it compare to the CD version of IS2?

for a person that owned a PS1 and Jag back from the day. My conclusion is that the Jag can match if not outperform the PS1 in 2d games. 3D games especially Textured 3D models PS1 by far. It's still impressive that the Jag was able to pull off some good Polygon games such as IS, IS2 etc Don't forget, the PS1 is CD based so of course programers had more freedom and space to make more detailed and in depth games. The Jag CD had potential, but it was too little to late... Perhaps the Jag, should have been an intergrated Jagduo (Cart/CD) from the start... then again it would have driven the prices up to nearly $400 dollars.

AS for IS2 (Cart/CD), the main differences was the FMV and music and maybe alittle more texture mapping. (CD version) Otherwise, the cd/cart versions are nearly indentical.

Edited by JagLynx4Life