IGNORED

Paddle Controllers

GoldenWheels

I got my first homebrew the other day, Crazy Brix (for the 7800, but since paddles are pretty much a 2600 deal I put this in here). I realized quickly that though playable with a pad/stick, I need a paddle controller to really enjoy it to it's fullest. Duh, right?

So my question is, assuming I do not want to play two player games (more accurately no one wants to play Warlords with me!) what is the best paddle controller to use? (meaning most responsive and reliable)

Atari dual paddles?

or

A Gemini paddle/joystick combo?

or

A Driving controller (I am not sure these even work somehow, I read somewhere they are not ideal for anything but Indy 500)?

or

Something else I am unaware of?

I've never used anything but the stock dual paddles back in the day. In the case of the Gemini, I will never use the joystick, so the performance of the paddle is what matters. If the Driving controller works, I am happy to go with that as it looks like it may save me a few bucks.

I trust people to be honest here(even in the case of perhaps going against their own interests) so if someone has an opinion AND one to sell, all thing being equal (or better!) I'd be fine buying one from someone here as opposed to ebay.

Buy some brand new paddles, then you won't have to worry about "old paddle jitter". I picked up a couple pair a year ago am very happy with them.

Driving controllers look the same from the outside, but on the inside they're totally different and will not work as a paddle replacement.

The Gemini controller may work just as well as Atari paddles, but you move the stick (right, I think) instead of pressing the button, so I would recommend paddles. On the other hand, it IS more convenient to be able to use the same controller for both types of games, especially helpful if you change games often.

Also, I believe the Sears 2600 may have come with a single paddle controller, but the Atari came with a coupled pair. At least I know most paddles have two controllers that are wired together and normally plug into controller port one, but you can also find a single paddle.

As far as "the jitters" go, it's easy to clean any paddle with spray contact cleaner to make them work perfectly (usually).

Edited by fiddlepaddle

Thanks guys, I do like the new and reconditioned options as my experiences with Atari controllers via ebay (even "tested" ones) has been very poor.

Looking at prices now....the Best's are $25.95....the AtGames ones are $18.99. I haven't gotten as far as shipping yet but that makes the choice for me I guess. Although if I order at Best it gives me an excuse to do a bigger order.... :-D

Edited by GoldenWheels