IGNORED

Are modern composite LCD tvs any good for classic games/computers?

So the picture quality is nice? For example, I just bought a pair of Samsung 215TW monitors from our local recycling yard that have bad capacitors which I am going to refurbish. They are typical 21" widescreen monitors with composite, component, dvi, and vga inputs. I figure I was going to use one of them for my classic games and computers. I was thinking of using an old vcr for demodulating the RF only games.

So the picture quality is nice? For example, I just bought a pair of Samsung 215TW monitors from our local recycling yard that have bad capacitors which I am going to refurbish. They are typical 21" widescreen monitors with composite, component, dvi, and vga inputs. I figure I was going to use one of them for my classic games and computers. I was thinking of using an old vcr for demodulating the RF only games.

I have no experience with those specific units, but picture quality varies pretty greatly. Sometimes quality is pretty bad, and sometimes you'll even find one that can't handle one or more of these old consoles at all. My mitsubishi refuses to display any 16-bit sega or clone, for example (but otherwise it does 'okay'). These sets were simply not built with 240p video in mind.

There are scalers built just for retro gaming. The XRGB-mini Framemeister is the current device of choice. However it's not cheap, and not perfect. When it's properly tuned in on a game it supports, it does look and play darn well.

Edited by Reaperman

The first LCD TVs I had didn't sync to the output from several computers in my collection but the newer ones don't seem to have any issues.

You may notice some variation in color for artifacting and images look less like individual dots with lines between rows than with CRTs.

The color artifacting depends a lot on the chipset; whether or not you like the difference in appearance vs a CRT is a matter of personal preference.

Some are great, but you gotta dig down and desactive all the crap filters that are turned on.

It's a matter of luck sadly.

My cheapo LG from 2005 display analog sources well, except for RGB weirdly, which appears grainy and a bit blurry.

The more recent Samsung I have a more crisp picture and better black levels, but even with all filters off, there is a bit of ghosting and imput lag.

It's a lottery; the best way to know is to grab a console and try in on the TV before buying.

Very interesting info. I will have several LCD monitors to play with. An old SD only 17 inch 4:3 TV (that one would be nice since its smaller for the bar between the kitchen and living room), the pair of 21" widescreen Samsungs, and a 24" widescreen Samsung as well. Plus my main DLP tv in the living room.

And of course, I always could dig out one of the old 1084 Commodore moniters from my stash.

I have this one for retro gaming (VCS, VIC20, NES, etc) and it is incredible

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001413DDK/ref=cm_sw_em_r_am_wp_am_us?ie=UTF8

It has a game mode that cuts down input lag to almost nothing. Also supports HD. I found it locally for $100 was couldn't ask for my from a little tv. The only thing it is missing is scan lines :/

Probably not ideal unless the systems are modified for them. They'll work, but they'll be blurry.

I haven't had issues with blurry images. I have seen some noise or ghosting in RF output but that was caused by the computer.

Composite output is pretty much as good as the computer that outputs it.

I use an old Sharp Aquos with my Incognito connected s-video to AV1, xbox (original) on AV2, and 400 connected to RF tuner. Works great, beautiful picture. It's nice to be able to keep all three systems connected at once, and just press a button to switch.

One thing is, and I assume because it's LCD, is that artifacting is very weak. It is only very slightly visible.

I have a Samsung 22" LCD that I like a lot, but I just bought a line doubler to convert composite and S-Video to progressive-scan VGA. It's the DVDO iScan Plus. It came out in 2000 and sells for around $50 these days. I'm going to pair it with the SLG3000 scanline generator. I'm hoping that the combo will make my VGA and S-Video consoles look even better on the Samsung.

What about those cheap s-video/composite to vga converters? Do they work okay for game systems? I got one at a thrift store a while back but have never used it yet.

No, it will be utter trash unless perhaps it says 'XRGB-3' on the side--then it *might* turn out okay. (I've never tried one)

I've already tried cheap, less cheap, and even old and really expensive. They weren't worth the time spent plugging in, and certainly not worth the frustration of going through every setting trying to get them right. Also if you're scaling to vga resolutions on a tv with a native HD resolution, you'll be adding even more lag while it scales them all again.

Edited by Reaperman