IGNORED

28.8k Bocamodems...any use for them today?

While at Goodwill today, I found a monster Bocamodem package that contains two of these (they appear new) and all included accessories for $3.99. The only reason I picked it up is because it came with a nifty PCI serial card which actual jumpers to set the COM ports. Hope it works in Win7 :) Anyway, being the resourceful person I am I am sure I can get by four bucks worth out of that card and perhaps the power supplies contained. But, just wondering if there is any actual USE for these modems anymore? I would have paid big bucks for a 28.8 for my Amiga back in the day. I paid a solid sum on my 14.4! Are there dialup BBS's or any other type of use for them? I know most everything is Telnet nowadays, but I am just curious as to whether they can be used for something or are just garbage (or museum pieces) at this point.

Serial and parallel cards should usually install straight up since they're a fairly generic sort of driver.

Use for a slow modem such as that - not a lot. If you do business where outgoing fax is needed then it'd come in handy.

AFAIK my ISP still has a backup dialup # in case the ADSL drops off but they charge a ripoff price for it and I've never really had need to use it.

You could equally get an old USB 56k modem for a couple of bucks. I've still got mine, not that it's had use in nearly 10 years.

There are currently 28 dialup BBSs in the U.S. and Canada that are LISTED:

http://www.telnetbbsguide.com/dialbbs/dialbbs.htm

The Telnet BBS Guide's                      US & Canada Dial-Up BBS Guide                             April - June 2014                           Updated April 1, 2014                --------------------------------------------                       Copyright by the BBS Corner                   Web: http://www.telnetbbsguide.com                E-mail: info at telnetbbsguide dot com                           THIS IS A FREE LIST            PLEASE DISTRIBUTE THIS LIST EVERYWHERE YOU SEE FIT!===========================================================================WHERE TO FIND THE BBS CORNER Dial-Up BBS GUIDE:WEB: http://www.telnetbbguide.comBBS: Diamond Mine Online BBSWeb:    http://www.dmine.comTelnet: bbs.dmine.netEMAIL: info at telnetbbsguide dot comNOTE:All Dial-Up BBS system listed are checked and verifiedevery 120 days. If a BBS is down for more than 30 days after that,it will be removed from the list.============================================================================  Modem      BBS Name                  City         ST Software TELNET206-386-4199 Seattle Community Network Seattle      WA Unix          #214-987-2135 Eclectic BBS              Univ. Park   TX TriBBS256-886-7616 Sursum Corda! BBS         Huntsville   AL Maximus       #281-272-8162 Ye Olde Inn IV            Houston      TX Maximus       #303-679-0161 Empire of the Dragon BBS  Evergreen    CO Worldgroup    #330-548-2620 WABUSA                    Kent         OH Virtual Ad    #337-984-4794 Positronium Repository    Lafayette    LA Wildcat       #401-949-0465 Fleet Headquarters        Greenville   RI Synchronet    #416-273-7230 Electronic Chicken BBS    Toronto      ON Synchronet    #416-273-8639 Dark Realms               Toronto      ON Renegade      #432-694-7317 Black Knights BBS         Midland      TX RemoteAccess502-875-8938 Capitol City Online       Frankfort    KY GT-2000       #503-646-2407 Keep BBS                  Beaverton    OR Worldgroup    #513-322-6369 Edge of Oblivion BBS      Racine       WI Synchronet    #530-534-5329 TDEC West BBS             Oroville     CA Spitfire602-955-4491 Heatwave BBS              Phoenix      AZ S&T TI-99/4A  #613-392-8896 Lion's Den                Trenton      ON Synchronet    #623-907-2858 Realm of Darkness         Phoenix      AZ MBSE          #626-355-5347 Mysteria                  Tujunga      CA BBBS          #717-396-1063 A Missing Chromosome      Lancaster    PA Mystic        #718-448-9402 Hidden Reef               Staten IslandNY S&T TI-99/4A780-439-8364 Xanadu                    Edmonton     AB Roboboard F/X #856-933-7096 Christian Fellowship      Mt. Ephriam  NJ PCBoard       #919-774-5930 Waldo's Place USA         Sanford      NC RemoteAccess  #951-652-1690 Borderline BBS            Hemet        CA All American  #972-329-0781 Prison Board              Mesquite     TX Wildcat       #979-696-3600 Ziplog Public Port        College Stn  TX Maximus979-696-6352 Brazos Valley HUB         College Stn  TX MaximusTotal Listed: 28

The number is actually growing with the use of IP lines for dialing in.

Also, you can dial in to the Prison Board BBS 972 329 0781 get to the main menu, hit X for Internet, A for Atari (or C for Commodore) and telnet out to other retro BBSs.

eightbit wrote:

> Are there dialup BBS's or any other type of use for them?

There are still a few dial-up shell accounts for Commodorians (and other computer users). I belong to Iglou.com which offers dial-up, and SDF.org provides them, too.

Using a Zoom 56K modem with my C128DCR,

Robert Bernardo

Fresno Commodore User Group

http://videocam.net.au/fcug