IGNORED

Guncon2 on a PS2 with a PS1 game, anybody here tried this?

I've been getting some of my old games for the PS1 to use on my PS2 Slim...this includes a couple fun PS1 games like Time Crisis and Point Blank.

Now, I've done some googling and I can't get a consistent answer, so perhaps somebody here knows:

I realize that the Guncon2 is not compatible with the PS1 (due to the USB port vs a standard PS controller port). But I would assume that the signal from a Guncon2 would be the 'same' as a Guncon1 (which some google searches has verified). I don't have any PS1 games right now to test on my Guncon2 (that, and unfortunately this used GC2 I picked up is missing the A/V 'though' cable...dang!).

Basically, I don't want to have to pick up used Guncons to use on my PS2, I'd much rather use my Guncon2 guns. Unless for some reason they aren't compatible, but I've read that's not the case. Guncons are pretty much Namco-only guns anyway, and I'm not looking for anything other than being able to play Namco PS1 games on my PS2.

Am I out of luck?...please drop some info if you have this setup. And merci! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Well...

It would appear not too many folks tried their old PS guncon games on their PS2 systems with Guncon2 (wow, that was a mouthful)?

It will be a bummer if I have to go find a few regular Guncons to play PS1 games on my PS2. I can understand why the Guncon2 won't work on the PS1 due to the USB connectors, but why wouldn't the games (which are compatible on both systems) work with the Guncon2, if they're both from Namco?

My main beef is that the original Guncon was, depending on the game played, 'too' accurate. Meaning that you'd have to squint down the sights in order get kills on, say, Time Crisis, rather than the point and shoot play of the arcade version. If you miss by a pixel, you're toast. Now, that might not improve with the Guncon2 but who knows.

I guess I will when my cables come in, though...

It's been a while since I played, but I don't believe PS1 Guncon games will work with the Guncon 2 played on the PS2. I seem to recall having my PS2 set up with a Guncon 1 in the controller port and a Guncon 2 on the USB slot for this reason. I liked playing Time Crisis 1 and that was just the way I had to wire it up.

A few PS2 games will recognize the Guncon1 and play with it. I know that Time Crisis 2 is one of those games, because I initially bought it disc only and didn't have a Guncon 2. I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think Ninja Assault and Vampire Night (?) are the same way.

• Like 1

Yep, this confirms what I thought. I had to act quick on a recent ebay pickup, so I erred on the side of 'it won't work' to catch the auction. I had two Guncons for my PS1 which I sold back in 03 (stupidly! :D ) and I remember paying a pretty penny for them even back then. Now I've picked up a pair of both Guncon 1 and 2 for probably less than I did the pair back then :D

I did a quick google search and it just made sense that the Guncon2 would work with Guncon games, but this is Namco we're talking about :D

My peeve with TC1 and the GC1 was always that 'super crazy accuracy', which I was hoping wouldn't be the case with the GC2. Like I mentioned, you have to play TC1 squinting down the barrel the whole time if you care to proceed (and I do remember that game was damn hard to finish!...but fun, which is why I tracked it down again). TC2 in the arcades is my all time fave gun game, so I hope I get a bit of that with the PS2.

Either way, thanks again for all the help!

I forgot also that I have a 3rd party light gun that has plugs to work on both Playstation and Sega Saturn. I bet it would work with any Guncon 1 games.

If it's what I'm thinking it is, then I don't think it will. Does it have an AV cord on it in addition to the normal controller cable? That's pretty much the signature of Guncon compatibility.

The Nyko Supercobra is what you'd be looking for in a 3rd party gun. Covers both Guncon and Justifier on the PS1 (selectable via toggle switch), as well as Sega Saturn, so basically it's 3 guns in 1. I had a couple of them before I switched over to flat panel television only, and they worked pretty well. The Nyko was blue, there was another company selling the same thing in silver and black.

Be sure to get a pedal for it, too. It'll actually take a Rock Band drum pedal, so don't worry if whatever you get doesn't actually come with the original pedal. The pedal lets you do the "come out of cover" mechanic without having to deal with keeping a finger on the button.

• Like 1

I'm a Guncon only guy, I usually don't have much time for 3rd party stuff. But if it had a sliding top, clacking away like the arcade? ...that would have me at hello!

As far as the pedal, I've read some bad things about the 3rd party foot pedal for PS2....very cheaply made, I hear. I'm ok with mapping the cover button to the second controller, putting it on the floor and usin' Big Toe to trigger it. It's almost a necessity for TC1, as the simple act of reload via the side button can tweak your aim, making you miss by that ridiculously pixel-accurate Guncon (which strangely doesn't act that way with other titles such as Point Blank...musta been the programming for TC). Anyway...this is the ultimate, in my mind:

I would LOVE to do this mod. But it's a bit too much work. But...it's awesome, and I need to dream :D

The Nyko Supercobra is what you'd be looking for in a 3rd party gun. Covers both Guncon and Justifier on the PS1 (selectable via toggle switch), as well as Sega Saturn, so basically it's 3 guns in 1. I had a couple of them before I switched over to flat panel television only, and they worked pretty well. The Nyko was blue, there was another company selling the same thing in silver and black.

Be sure to get a pedal for it, too. It'll actually take a Rock Band drum pedal, so don't worry if whatever you get doesn't actually come with the original pedal. The pedal lets you do the "come out of cover" mechanic without having to deal with keeping a finger on the button.

Ah that's what I have. A blue Nyko. It came bundled with a Saturn and games. The system turned out to be rusted inside and needing its cd drive replaced, but I got half my money back because of it.

• 1 year later...

There is a way, but it requires you to download or purchase 'Gunvari Collection + Time Crisis', a Japanese only PS2 release which includes all 3 Point Blanks & the first Time Crisis.

Then, you can open a slim PS2 & use sticky tac to block the sensors for using the swap trick method of booting an import or backup.

Alternatively, you can order yourself a Free McBoot memory card with ESR. If you download the ISO for Gunvari you can patch it with ESR disc patcher to boot.

Better, if you have a fat PS2 you can get a network adapter & an IDE hard drive out of an old computer. Free McBoot cards usually have HDLoader preinstalled. This can format the hard drive for installing PS2 backups of any region. Saves your laser & disc wear, does away with loading & region problems.

I suggest buying the import because it's hecka cheap on Amazon & installing that bad boy. Now you can play with a Guncon 2 ^.^

Side note - it's worth it to hunt down a RedOctane reload pedal for your PS2. They are made of steel & help recreate the feel of being in the arcade playing Time Crisis. Very high quality, but unfortunately quite rare. It took me a year to find myself a pair, but when I did the victory was so sweet.

Good luck!

(Sorry to bump an old thread on my first post, hopefully the OP sees this info)