IGNORED

Elite for the TI-99/4A

Stuart

I’ve been burning far too much midnight oil over the past couple of months doing a port of Elite to the TI-99, and today, after a bit of final polishing, I think it’s ready for release. Contains all the functionality you know and loved, except that the Universe is not quite as big until I find a better way of compressing the planet data (someone did recommend to me the Flair Pool algorithm, but I’m having problems finding information about it).

Versions attached for Win994a and Classic 99. Load using E/A option 3, DSKx.ELITE. The program should auto-start. Haven’t tried it on real hardware, but I don’t anticipate any problems.

Elite.zip

Enjoy,

Stuart.

• Like 11

Holy F**k! :-o :-o ELITE!!!! :-o :-o :-o

For our American cousins: If you're a British retro geek, then Elite is IT! It was the killer app for the BBC Model B computer back in the day. Absolutely stunning what they did in 32K on the 8-bit 6502. That Stuart has done it on the TI is awesome and a major feat!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elite_(video_game)

Stuart: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Absolutely amazing, I didn't think anyone was clever enough to pull this off. It looks so great and fast on the opening screen, but I can't get past that. It says "Error: Fail Lo Pro 2014". This is on Classic99.

i am just absolutely speechless! This has been on my wishlist for the TI for a very long time! At some point I had purchased a Spectrum +3 from Europe just to play that game on real hardware :D The past couple of years have been an absolute renaissance for the TI.

Unfortunately, I seem to have the same issue as Rasmus and can't get past the opening screen, both in Classic 99 and Win994A.

Does it somehow only run in MESS? I'm going to transfer it to real hardware and see how it goes. BTW, are you using the F18A GPU by any chance?

Edited by Vorticon
  • Like 2

I downloaded the game to my TI and unfortunately I am still getting the same error past the opening screen: "Error: Fail Lo Pro 2014"...

My TI is equipped with an F18A, but I don't think this should be an issue.

Could someone else confirm this on real hardware?

Very clever, Stuart! :grin: I wish I'd thought of something like that. I'm always a day late and a dollar short. I need to start thinking now if I ever hope to top your contribution for next year!! Nah!—not gonna happen—I'm too busy with fbForth. And, besides, inspiration like that doesn't strike me as often as it used to. :P Very cool, indeed! :cool: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

...lee

Wowsers. Just, wow. Stuart, well done! I played Elite on my Commodore 64 and a friend's Atari 800 back-in-the-day.

For great justice:

post-27864-0-70421300-1396367590_thumb.gif

(Okay, not GREAT justice... I just cannot get good captures.)

I would definitely love to see this in its "polished" form.

• Like 1

A thought occurs to me about porting from one platform to another. The Amiga ports of games like Descent, Quake, and Doom, amongst others including the ScummVM stuff, use the data files from the original games. Seems like doing so would save a lot of conversion time (though incur some copyright issues, I am sure.) How difficult is it to pull the existing data from disks for games like Elite or others which have static map levels then use them in TI ports?

Holy F**k! :-o :-o ELITE!!!! :-o :-o :-o

For our American cousins: If you're a British retro geek, then Elite is IT! It was the killer app for the BBC Model B computer back in the day. Absolutely stunning what they did in 32K on the 8-bit 6502. That Stuart has done it on the TI is awesome and a major feat!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elite_(video_game)

Stuart: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Yeah, I'm a Yank that missed out on Elite - although there were some platforms that were available in the US that had an Elite port, I don't think it ever got as popular as it did in Europe. I discovered "by accident" so to speak when I discovered Oolite - about 3 years ago now :).