IGNORED

The ColecoVision Flashback's killer app: Resident Evil!

Pixelboy

Hello people!

I have a lot of Team Pixelboy announcements to make, but I want to tie up some loose ends first so that I can post everything in a single News Bulletin. This will hopefully happen in about a week from now.

Today, I just want to report some intriguing news that isn't directly related to Team Pixelboy. As this is April 1st, I thought it would be funny to post this on AtariAge today instead of later, just to keep people guessing. It this true or baloney? You be the judge! :P

As many of you already know, a company called AtGames will be releasing a ColecoVision Flashback console later this year. They've been trying to get some homebrew games to add to their console's built-in games list (the console will not feature a cartridge port) and they haven't been all that successful. So they decided to give their console an edge by including one recognizable title on their new console that will truly be an exclusive gaming experience that you cannot get anywhere else: They managed to get a license from Capcom for an 8-bit version of Resident Evil Gaiden!

AtGames outsourced the project to a small team of programmers, and it just so happens that one of these programmers is a friend of mine. At the moment, he's in charge of coding the intermissions of the game. This friend, who wishes to remain anonymous, asked me for some technical information about the MegaCart, because they want to break the 32K barrier with this Resident Evil game and make it a 512K game! This will truly be the ColecoVision Flashback's killer app! :D

So anyway, I gave my friend the info he requested, and about a month later, he gave me a sneak peek at the opening intermission of the game to thank me for my help. This is darn good stuff, and I asked him if I could show this to others. My friend asked his boss who, against all odds, actually got permission from AtGames to release pictures and even a work-in-progress ROM, in order to generate some hype for their ColecoVision Flashback's main attraction.

So here are a few pictures below, together with the ROM which you can try under blueMSX (remember to set the cartridge type to "ColecoVision MegaCart"). There's no game here, just the title screen and opening intermission, so just tap the fire button to progress through the texts until the software freezes.

I guess I'll have to get myself a ColecoVision Flashback when it's released! :)

post-7743-0-09587700-1396355268_thumb.png

post-7743-0-07136100-1396355276_thumb.png

post-7743-0-88944200-1396355282_thumb.png

post-7743-0-74815300-1396355292_thumb.png

resident_evil_gaiden_demo.zip

• Like 2

I was talking to one of the developers (from Atgames) of the Colecovision Flashback and he allowed me to do a short video for the Colecovision Flashback for my youtube channel. At this point its a prototype, with a menu for choosing the games (including a small bit of footage from Resident Evil : Gaiden) Here is the link to the video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Edited by Manoau2002
  • Like 2

I was talking to one of the developers (from Atgames) of the Colecovision Flashback and he allowed me to do a short video for the Colecovision Flashback for my youtube channel. At this point its a prototype, with a menu for choosing the games (including a small bit of footage from Resident Evil : Gaiden) Here is the link to the video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Great video - although I think that the animation is a little rough and the music just awful.

• Like 2

PixelBoy - If this is a hoax, and it likely is, then you should feel enough guilt and peer pressure to actually release this game! :D

a) Yes, it was a hoax.

b) I would never commit myself to making a 512K game. I'd have to hire at least three or four people and start my own game-developer company. :P

By the way, the guy who did the software for this hoax prefers to stay anonymous, but I can tell you it wasn't Mystery Man. :)

If it was, the game would not be resident evil gaiden.

It would of been Golden Girls Anal Adventures.

Aaaaaaand that's why we really shouldn't let Rev out of the Inty forums. My apologies, I'm supposed to watch him and I just got busy tonight

• Like 1