IGNORED

Gimme 3 Must Have Games For the Lynx

VectorGamer

Warmer weather is just around the corner and that means road trips with the Atari Lynx. It's that time of year where I like to pick up some new games for my collection so I thought why not poll AA for what they feel are the 3 must have games for the Lynx. This'll give me some direction in what games to look out for.

Go!

California Games: The essential summer game. Four highly playable events that are easy to learn, but hard to master (half-pipe being hard to learn too), and take you back to the times when getting high scores was all you needed to do. Great graphics and sound too.

Todd's Adventures in Slime World: The depth hidden in this game is astonishing. 6 different and huge worlds littered with fun items to use and lots of secrets and passages to find. Each one of the worlds is different (one is timed, another one makes you use your wits as your weapon doesn't work), and you can play them with up to eight players (or six, don't remember). The gameplay is highly original and predates Super Metroid by 3 years, on a hand-held no less! It even has an in-game manual, and the paper manual included is written as a lost journal from an space explorer. I really love this game and is amazing it got released in 1990.

Chip's Challenge: 144 stages to prove your skills and intelligence at puzzle games. And it can be played just with the d-pad!

If being restricted to three games, those would be my choices for some variety, but I could list 10 more. In fact, about 80% of the Lynx library ranges from decent to great. For an added bonus, here''s some more

-Shanghai (Puzzle)

-Blue Lighting (Like Afterburner but deeper)

-Scrapyrd Dog (Platformer)

-Roadblasters (Arcade)

There are as many opinions about best Lynx games than players: first the Lynx has many good games and secondly, selecting only 3 of them depends mainly of your own taste: some prefer puzzle, some other races, shoot...

Now beyond of that, when I think of outstanding Lynx games I would mention Dracula because of its unique monochrome atmosphere and excellent gameplay, Duranik Alpine Games for pushing away the technical Lynx limits and Shadow of the beast for its amazingly beautiful graphx and original soundtracks.

The Lynx really has the best ratio of good:crappy games of all of Atari's systems. I can only think of four stinkers: Basketbrawl, Tournament Cyberball, Hard Drivin', World Class Soccer, and Pit Fighter. I'd add Ninja Gaiden III and the icky Gordo 106 to that short list, but the inclusion of those two are really more of a matter of personal taste than anything else. Everything else is at least moderately enjoyable. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For multiplayer, I recommend WARBIRDS, CHECKERED FLAG, and CALIFORNIA GAMES.

For singleplayer, if you have time and lots of it, as well as paper and such to draw maps, ELECTROCOP is great fun.

Also for singleplayer, BLUE LIGHTNING is very enjoyable, CALIFORNIA GAMES of course, and if you're a fan of rpgs, DAEMONSGATE is incomplete but still has a lot of content. If not Daemonsgate, instead I recommend KLAX.

Edited by AtariLynx Lover

• 8 months later...

World Class Soccer mentioned earlier as 1 of the 'stinkers' and whilst not a footy fan myself i did raise an eyebrow when i saw this one.

It seemed the developers wanted to use the hardware's power (so large sprites) but had no real concept of what handheld gaming was all about as large sprites on a small screen in a game of this type was not a good combination as you could'nt see far enough head, so no idea who to pass to, or who to tackle etc....

World Class Soccer mentioned earlier as 1 of the 'stinkers' and whilst not a footy fan myself i did raise an eyebrow when i saw this one.

It seemed the developers wanted to use the hardware's power (so large sprites) but had no real concept of what handheld gaming was all about as large sprites on a small screen in a game of this type was not a good combination as you could'nt see far enough head, so no idea who to pass to, or who to tackle etc....

Common problem with Lynx games. See Double Dragon, Electrocop, Dirty Larry and Power Factor, each of which suffer to varying degrees from the big sprites/bad overview. It must have been very attractive to devs to have big, detailed sprites on the screen, but it really shows the care for game design whether they chose to sacrifice size for playability or really went all out.

Ultra Vortex is another candidate judging from the screenshots,

• Like 1

Personally i've never been of the 'mindset' i often encountered in my B.A.A days (a phrase i'll be using from now on, meaning Before Atari Age, or rather before i joined here).....that if a game was a technical feat on Lynx, ergo it automatically was therefore a fantastic game for the handheld style of play.The 2 don't always go hand-in-hand i found.

Hard Drivin, lost a lot due to over-sensitive controls and just never seemed suited to such a small screen.Impact lost somewhat.

Shadow Of The Beast:Technically fantastic, but was'nt all that on the Amiga and again, i never found it ideally suited to handheld style of play.

Dracula The Undead:Stunningly atmospheric game, but lack of a save option, just seemed like utter madness.

As for Double Dragon, well during those 'dark' B.A.A days, there was a line of thinking that game was ' arcade perfect in early every way, it just missed out the mountain level' and thus i was sat there thinking...

(Cont)

Woah there, Hoss..so missing an entire level, using a zoomed-in view point that effects gameplay alone renders it far from ,nearly arcade perfect' then add the lack of polish (sound and frame rate should of been better on Lynx) and what about the missing weapons/enemies?.

It's strange looking back at it, i mean i loved my Lynx, ST, Jaguar and 800XL, but i have no 'beef' talking about hardware's limitations (A8's lack of sprites, ST awful sound chip etc) let alone poor game decisions developers made across all formats.

Every damn thing i've bought has had it's fair share of games ill-suited or poorly implemented on it.