IGNORED

The Elder Scrolls Online

ydcl

I'm a big fan of the Elder Scrolls franchise like many people and have been playing since Morrowind back in 2003.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DHF39HQ/ref=s9_newr_gw_d0_g63_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1SN4CWZE3PYJEJVBGRBR&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846

According to wikipedia, Xbox users will have to pay $15 bucks a month to play the game on top of the $60 purchase price. That means it's $75 for the 1st month alone!

PS4 users will not have to pay a monthly fee to play online.

I own aPS4 but have never been fan of MMO's, they tend to get boring once I have to grind... Maybe I'll buy it 1 year from now if the price lowers. Unless this MMO is different and unique in its style of course.

We'll see....

There's a thread here (if your into Guild Wars as well check it out):

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/222672-elder-scrolls-online-played-beta/

Subscription:

I still don't think it's worth it at 15 bucks a month after playing the beta quite a bit.

The publishers dictate if there is a fee to pay on top of what the console maker's policy is. IMO, If you got a PS4 congrats welcome to a better deal.

Personally I prefer the PC

You can still have fun breaking the game like any other Bethesda product. A buddy recently figured out you get more experience by NOT grouping. Just gather a bunch of buddies at a spawn and AOE everything. You don't have to share the experience and you can still heal if you're in the same alliance.

• Like 1

PS4 users DO have to pay the monthly $15 like everyone else. The information people are getting confused by is that you won't be required to pay for Playstation Plus in order to play Elder Scrolls Online. On XBone, you'll need to pay the $15 monthly for ESO in addition to the Xbox Live Gold subscription.

The $60 retain price includes 30 days free. Still not worth it IMO.

Gameplay itself reminded me a lot of Morrowind.. especially the battle mechanics.

Gotta admit, when I was beta-testing as a lone wolf, I did enjoy running through the landscape doing those random quests. Though the whole MMO aspect of it bothered me; especially going into a 'mysterious' cave to find myself among 20 other players doing the same quest. Kind of killed the immersion for me.

The moment I figured that the model would be monthly fee I stopped playing though; I take roughly 6 years to finish a TES game.. rarely find a few hours a week to play games on my PC, so it'd be wasting money.

Now if they would make the whole game available offline and fill it up with a few more NPC's, I'd gladly pay a good price for that. It'd be the Tamriel project I been waiting for for so many years :)

I've been watching a let's play of it on Youtube. Looks fun.

Is this a PVE only?

I'm still cringing at that $15 a month after paying $60 for the game. The most I ever paid was $5 a month for Runescape. I've had the same account since 2006.

• 2 weeks later...

A good chunk of what makes ES games fun is how immersive they are, I'd much rather they have a standard style game and add a drop in drop out friends only Co-Op on than an online game.

I was still pretty hyped up about it, until they tried slipping that $15 a month fee in there. While I did once pay to play an online game, way back when, it was only like $5 a month, and the game itself was free. I might consider giving it a whirl if the game was free, even at a rather high $15 a month.

If it survives to make a (still playable) $20 bin game, I might still pick it up and give it a try, or if they drop the online fee.

• 2 years later...

I started playing ESO about a month ago, it looks like I started at the right time. There has been a lot of improvements since the last post in this thread. Now you can travel anywhere without restrictions. Also now subscriptions are optional.

I'm really enjoying it, I'm not a doing a lot in it yet. I just travel around exploring, admiring the scenery and doing the occasional quest. The New Life (Xmas) quests were fun.

Is anyone still been playing it? Have you tried it again since the "One Tamriel" update?

When you say the subscription is optional what does that mean? Can you now buy a copy of the game and just play it without having to pay a monthly fee? What is left out if you opt NOT to subscribe?

I got a physical copy for AU$23 at EB Games, it is just the standard version, not the gold version which includes some DLC and bonus items.

You can play for free but if you want to subscribe this is what it says you get:

• Access to all DLC Game Packs as long as ESO Plus™ membership is current.
  • 1500 Crowns per 30 day membership, all Crowns given at time of payment.
  • +10% Upgrade to Character Progression.

The Crowns are mostly to buy pets and costumes. When I started I got some Crowns for free, and I got the "Starter Pack" which includes a horse and a dog, I don't need anything else yet.

It will be a long time before I even need to consider a membership.

Edited by Amstari

So the main draw to paying a monthly fee is the ability to customize more, but you can still play the base game? Can you just purchase DLC Game packs and play them freely, or would you need to membership to access them? I've had an interest in this game, but zero interest paying to play it. LOL

So the main draw to paying a monthly fee is the ability to customize more, but you can still play the base game? Can you just purchase DLC Game packs and play them freely, or would you need to membership to access them? I've had an interest in this game, but zero interest paying to play it. LOL

Yes, that's my understanding ...and experience with a similar MMO, Star Wars The Old Republic, which actually uses the same software engine (though each is heavily modified). You can quest and level up, but things are just a little nicer if you pay for a subscription, which works out to be less than buying the "quality of life" perks a la carte. They break out the perks pretty well ... my feeling is if you don't understand what they're offering, you probably won't need it for your play style. https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/tamrielunlimitedfaq

With "my" MMO SWTOR, I found that I wasn't playing enough to justify the extra expense. I'm going to try the free mode for a while, and if it's too annoying, I'll just quit playing.

• Like 1