IGNORED

Anyone have a spare Ti-99/4 Editor/Assembler module?

UKRetrogamer

After owning my nanoPEB for nearly two years, I've finally got around to playing with it.

I have an XB module but can't locate my EA one. I know I have one somewhere but it could be years before it turns up. (Either that, or I'll buy another and mine will magically re-appear).

Does anyone here have a spare Editor/Assembler module they'd like to sell?

I'm in the UK if it makes a difference?

HERE >> is one. These things are starting to get scarce, you better get one when you can or the price goes any higher. Considering they are used to make Super Cartridges and or course run an E/A3 files.

I gave my spare to a friend a while back, now I could really use it on my backup system.

Are E/A carts really starting to become scarce? I think I have three or four because of the label variation. They were dirt cheap when I picked them up years ago ($2-$3).

<< HERE >> is one. These things are starting to get scarce, you better get one when you can or the price goes any higher. Considering they are used to make Super Cartridges and or course run an E/A3 files.

I gave my spare to a friend a while back, now I could really use it on my backup system.

Hmm... I trawled eBay before posting. I spotted that one but including postage to the UK, it works out to over £70 and I'm not that desperate. Thanks for the link though.

Are E/A carts really starting to become scarce? I think I have three or four because of the label variation. They were dirt cheap when I picked them up years ago ($2-$3).

I like the price you paid!

Yeah, there are not as many E/A's out in the wild as there once was. There are a lot of cartridges out there with little value like TI-Invaders, which is one of the cartridges that can also be used to make a Super Cartridge. The thing this, not as many people had Peripheral Expansion Boxes, and since an E/A cart is worthless without the PEB, not as many of them were made as say the Parsec module.

I think the only saving grace is the fact that there are not as many of us interested in the TI anymore, so we've been able to 'fill the need' with the dwindling supply with higher prices than the plentiful carts.

The E/A works fine with a sidecar 32K (TI or third party) and a sidecar disk controller (TI or third party). You don't need the TI PEB for it. You can also use an Atronic CPS99, a CorComp 9900, or a Myarc MPES-50, as all of them have the same capabilities as a normal PEB.

I passed my spare on to someone about a year ago. I'll have to look to see if I got one in the last couple of batches of cartridges I bought. . .

After finding most of my Ti-99 modules this evening, I still can't locate my EA module. I DID however find a module purchased a year or so ago with a ZIF socket fitted.

What do I need to buy to program a ROM image (presumably an easy find on the Internet) to turn the ZIF-socketed module into an EA module?

I bought the ZIF cart at the same time as a Pitfall cartridge (which is also - oddly - MIA).

Still, if I can use the ZIF module with an EPROM until I locate my missing cartridges, I'm golden.

I really need to start digging. I have a NOS, boxed Speech synth which I'll probably find eventually, sat in the same general area as my Pitfall module.

Anyone?

Edited by UKRetrogamer

Actually, the ZIF will only work to allow you to insert ROM-only cartridge files (and depending on the board it is installed on, it may work with 8K, 16K, or 64K ROMs--with all of the ones larger than 8K being bank-switched). This won't help with your E/A issue, however, as the file needs to be stored on a GROM, which is a specialized TI chip with its own internal address bus that auto increments when polled to present the next instruction. These can be simulated, but it takes a lot of external logic or an AVR. Is your board one of the ones produced by Hexbus? It will have a 74LS379 on it in addition to the ZIF socket (and a couple of resistors/capacitors). I haven't been through my spares box yet, so I still don't know if I have an extra E/A cartridge. One note--if you have a DataBioTics SuperSpace cartridge, a Pilgrim's Pride 6000+ module, or a Supercart (Supercarts were usually homebrews, but some were made in quantity as user's group projects), each of them has an E/A module GROM in it as well.

I'm part of a team that has a GROM-simulation capable cartridge board nearly ready for prime time. The last bugs on the hardware side have finally been quashed and the software for the AVR is done as well--now we just have to polish up the last details in the developer's manual a bit and it will be done.

It will have a 74LS379 on it in addition to the ZIF socket (and a couple of resistors/capacitors). I haven't been through my spares box yet, so I still don't know if I have an extra E/A cartridge.

I can't remember where I bought it. I *think* I got it from the same guy who was selling the Pitfall cartridges but yes, it has the same IC and a single capacitor.

I finally got a chance to go through the last of my recent TI purchases (wouldn't you know it, the thing I was looking for was in the LAST box I checked). I did find an Editor Assembler cart (just the cart, no manual, but you can find the manual online at the WHT FTP site). Let me know if you still need one UK Retrogamer and we can work something out. . .

See? That's the problem. I searched (yet again) for this only a couple of hours ago and nothing showed up.

And AGAIN, the equivalent of around £40 to post to the UK...

Is USPS post to the UK really *SO* expensive? I didn't buy the sealed one which ended earlier due to the apparent rip-off international postal charges.

edit: No module included with this particular auction anyway.

I don't need the disks or manuals. Disks can be downloaded and I'm not likely to start learning how to program in assembler, so the manual would be surplus to requirements - it's the cartridge/module I'm primarily after.

Edited by UKRetrogamer

As an example, I recently bought THIS item from the US. Item value £1.78, postage to the UK over £12.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281211935213?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

A circular plastic disc which would fit in a padded envelope, packaged in something slightly smaller than a SHOEBOX. No wonder it was £12!

I was never able to find one of these in the UK and so didn't mind paying over the odds for postage but asking £40 P&P for some disks, a cartridge and manual is just taking the Mick.

I think I'll wait until a module-only auction shows up or one appears in the UK - it's possible - I never thought I'd find a PEB but found one, local pickup for £40 a few years back. (I've since bought a nanoPEB though, so the big, Grey box sits unused.)

</grumble>

I finally got a chance to go through the last of my recent TI purchases (wouldn't you know it, the thing I was looking for was in the LAST box I checked). I did find an Editor Assembler cart (just the cart, no manual, but you can find the manual online at the WHT FTP site). Let me know if you still need one UK Retrogamer and we can work something out. . .

PM sent.

(I've since bought a nanoPEB though, so the big, Grey box sits unused.)

I had to grin when I read this, as it highlights the variety of different TI users needs, wants and likes. You went in the totally opposite direction I did.. Having used both, I personally could never go back to a Nano with it's quirks, instabilities and inability to run some programs. The size of the TI-PEB is a major issue to be sure, but no longer having the headaches as a result of compatibility and instability issues was a big deal to me. It just goes to reenforce the old motto, "Different strokes for different folks". :)

I had to grin when I read this, as it highlights the variety of different TI users needs, wants and likes. You went in the totally opposite direction I did.. Having used both, I personally could never go back to a Nano with it's quirks, instabilities and inability to run some programs. The size of the TI-PEB is a major issue to be sure, but no longer having the headaches as a result of compatibility and instability issues was a big deal to me. It just goes to reenforce the old motto, "Different strokes for different folks". :)

Is this true of the CF7+ device as well? There's quite a few things that don't seem to want to load or work at all. Don't have an E/A cart at the moment (could use one if anyone would like to sell), but have MiniMemory and Extended BASIC of course.

Is the E/A cart absolutely necessary for certain programs that MiniMemory can't handle? What would be some examples? Can't seem to get Mr. Chin to run…