IGNORED

porting between systems...a minor question

Andreaus44

considering that both the atari jaguar and sega genesis have a 68000 processor would it bge possible to port games from the genesis to the jaguar??? (i know its a stupid question but i would to one day play sonic on my jag

"i would like to play it on my jag"...sorry bout that...;)..typo error

That's what the big "EDIT" button is for.

And of course it's possible. Almost any port (to an equivalent or more powerful system) is possible.

Though I suspect what you're asking is, "Can Genesis games run on the Jaguar with minimal modification?", in which case the answer is "NO". The Jag's audio/video hardware is completely different from the Genesis, and the Amiga, and the ST, and everything else that uses a 68K.

That's what the big "EDIT" button is for.

And of course it's possible. Almost any port (to an equivalent or more powerful system) is possible.

Though I suspect what you're asking is, "Can Genesis games run on the Jaguar with minimal modification?", in which case the answer is "NO". The Jag's audio/video hardware is completely different from the Genesis, and the Amiga, and the ST, and everything else that uses a 68K.

But the genesis games were pretty simple codewise, so I suspect that once you got video running the rest of the port would be easy.

considering that both the atari jaguar and sega genesis have a 68000 processor would it bge possible to port games from the genesis to the jaguar??? (i know its a stupid question but i would to one day play sonic on my jag)

If you have the source code for any Megadrive games then sure you could port them over without *too* much hassle, if you know 68k assembly and read up about the Jaguar's video, audio, and control systems, oh, and the CD systems unless you plan to release them on cartridge, or only to people with flash carts of alpines. Of course you'll also need to get permission from the people who own the copyright on the games you want to port over, but at the end of the day, what is the point? A lot of the Jag's problems were that companies didnt put enough effort into using the Jag's hardware, and just wrote ports of their old 16 bit games... Why go to all the hassle of porting megadrive games onto the Jag when you could just go out and buy a megadrive for about the same price as a Jag.

for the plain simple fact that i would be playing 1 more game on the jag...;).. also the fact that it would be one more game to share with the jaguar community.. the genesis?? never again ... i cant stand those peices of junk ... the hardware that sega came out with was absoulte junk.which i never realized until i had baught one for a second time a while back with a sega cd and 32x ... i'm still impressed with how well the jaguar was made as far as stability and how it doesnt feel "cheap" like the playstation or the saturn did...

the problem or one of the biggest i see is that there isnt a good platformer for the jag(with the exception of rayman).. bubsy sucked , zool 2 i really dont have the actual want to buy aswell..

i just miss the old days of castlevania..(2d) as well as the old days of sonic(2d).. and wish that maybe once there could be really a game that could shine as a decent 2d platformer..;)