IGNORED

Is there an affordable handheld with a backlit screen?

Nope, I've never been to QJ.net. Thanks for the link.

Thread Drift to a New Idea:

I've been thinking and there is something else I could do. I have a small handheld TV that no longer gets in channels (thanks to the switch to HD TV). It uses AA batteries. I know there are battery operated game systems that plug into a TV, so I could use an adapter and plug one into my little TV and skip the whole handheld thing and hacks.

Does anyone know of a good plug and play battery operated system that is loaded with games that isn't a total piece of crap? These are the only ones I could find at Amazon that didn't have a ton of complaints:

SENARIO 101 Games in 1 Plug & Play (Uses 4 "AAA" size batteries) [Holy crap! This thing is almost 200 bucks!]

At Games Arcade Gamer with 30 Built-In SEGA Games (Requires 4 AA Batteries)

You missed out on the battery powered Sega Genesis clones. This is the closet you're gonna get, methinks.

http://www.dx.com/p/ysdx-638-2-8-lcd-portable-16bit-sega-game-video-game-player-w-wireless-controller-blue-black-203415

You can load games onto the SD card BUT no save game support..

I'll split my vote between a hacked PSP 2000 or a DS Lite with an R4. The DS, when running a flashcart, can emulate NES and GBC really well, but I don't actually know what an R4 runs for these days. Plus, if you never got on the DS bandwagon, you're looking at a staggering number of really good games in virtually every genre.

No mentions for the Atari Lynx yet? Battery life isn't great but it has a lit screen and operates on six standard AA batteries... I don't think there's any "traditional" games like Chess/Checkers/Othello for it, but there's always Ms. Pac-Man.

• Like 1

No mentions for the Atari Lynx yet? Battery life isn't great but it has a lit screen and operates on six standard AA batteries... I don't think there's any "traditional" games like Chess/Checkers/Othello for it, but there's always Ms. Pac-Man.

Probably it's the battery life that killed it as a suggestion. I remember being pretty bummed on road trips when the juice went out. Such a sweet system, though!

My GB Boy Color has a chess game on a flash cart. Haven't changed the batteries in weeks.

• Like 1

My GB Boy Color has a chess game on a flash cart. Haven't changed the batteries in weeks.

I played with one of those at Sears and hoped to get one, then I blinked and the Game Boy Advance and Game Boy Advance SP was being sold.

• 1 year later...

Get an FC Mobile II. It runs 4xAA and gets good battery life assuming you're running an actual game and not an Everdrive (PowerPak doesn't work). Dpad is split meaning you can press L+R or U+D and the action buttons are a bit stiff, but it's gotten me through more than one power outage:

large.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/26/hyperkins-fc-mobile-ii-plays-your-old-nes-carts-any-way-youd-l/

It also features turbo buttons and an 1/8 AV out jack. The internal speaker is ample loud but due to cheap amplifier circuit, the sound gets distorted if you turn the volume beyond half way. The included IR wireless controllers are also crap. Do not use.

I've also gotten lots of complements and stares playing in public... :cool:

Edited by stardust4ever

What about the Gameboy Micro? I loved it, light and easy to carry, full Gba game support (I believe), and changeable face plates. Nice, crisp screen too. Yes, I do admit, it's a little "tiny", but a great little system nonetheless.

• Like 1