IGNORED

Pole Position 2 "picture label" cart

Supergun

I just learned a lesson, the hard way. I guess I should have asked some of the pros around here first.

So although I had completed my 7800 collection years ago, I was always mildly interested in eventually obtaining the "picture label" release version of the Atari 7800 Pole Position II cartridge. Mind you, I am not really a label variation collector, but every system has at least a few label variations that are significant enough to peak my interest. Anyhow, so recently, I decided to finally get this cart. Well, I incorrectly assumed that since the 7800's pack-in game was a loose pole position 2 cartridge, then surely it would stand to reason that if you buy a sealed boxed copy of Pole Position 2, it would have to be the picture label version cartridge; whereby matching the box art. Makes logical sense doesn't it?

Well, obviously I found out I was wrong when I opened the box, and discovered that I completely wasted my money!

So without any understanding as to which boxed games contain the picture label carts inside them, I ended up just saying the hell with it, and buying a loose cart so that I would know for certain I was getting the cart I wanted.

Anyhow, so my question is, if those boxed copies of Pole Position 2 don't have the picture label carts inside them, then when exactly did Atari changeover the cartridge labels and more importantly, why? Heck why did they even sell the game separately at all for that matter? It was the pack in cartridge with the system, so you couldn't even buy an Atari without it. Who the hell would want to buy a second copy? (lol obviously this happens with almost every game system and it's pack in and I'm just venting here) But anyhow, what gives? where did these picture label carts come from? Is it the year on the box maybe?

I got my 7800 right when it was released back in 1986 and so my Pole Position 2 cartridge is the really old original 1984 slide dust cover style cart. I have also seen the black & white Pole 2 carts without dust shields and 1987 or 1988 copyrights. And the sealed copy I bought that had a b&w cart label inside said 1988 on the box.

Anyhow, just wanted to bring this to light so nobody else makes the same mistake I made.

I have a picture cart of pole position that is not PAL. Got it from eBay years ago, I'm sure it was a O'Shela ebay sale bundle from back then. 20 new 7800 games for less then $20. I was wondering when I opened it if it would be like the text pack in, black & white or color picture. Mine ended up color.

@Supergun - like a box of Cracker Jacks looking for that special prize, sounds like you're gonna be on a quest to be purchasing several NOS copies of PPII and hoping to hell one of them is the color labeled cart. :lol:

I feel your pain. Looking for a copy of TI Invaders that allows the Shift+8+3+8 cheat. :rolling:

To my knowledge the picture label carts are all the pal one's...

My NTSC copy begs to differ. ;)

I got mine NIB a few years ago. I bought it because it was cheap, I didn't have a boxed PP2, and it was there. Since I didn't really pay much attention to 7800 stuff at the time, I don't know if I actually was aware there was a picture-label version until I opened it; I think I expected the white/pack-in/1984 version.

All the same, unless the AA database deceives me, it's a pretty common cartridge...