IGNORED

XEGS Svideo suggestions?

My XEGS looks so so on my LCD TV.

I've looked around and found this:

http://www94.pair.com/jsoper/xegs_svid.html

Is this the only way to go about it?

In specific it appears the Q3 emitter is luma and Q5 emitter is chroma.

I'm really trying not to cut or remove components if I don't have to.

Anyone has suggestions?

Can I simply use Q3e and Q5e as they are? Or maybe rebuffered thru a voltage follower?

Alternatively I have a few FMS6400 available, so if I really have to I could get the signal straight from the Q3/Q5 bases and let the FMS6400 do the amplification, but I am not sure the signal there is good enough.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Edited by phoenixdownita

Thanks a bunch.

I performed the mod you linked, still no SVideo plug (just ordered) but the composite looks about the same, brighter for sure and a tad more saturated colors.

My LCD TV does a really awful job with the XEGS composite out, once my SVideo connector arrives I'll fix it in and see, I really hope it works.

The TV does a much, much better job over SVideo, I suspect that the conditioning of the composite is just plain bad, the only console I am proud over composite is actually the PC Engine DuoR, that was really good for some reason.

Edited by phoenixdownita

I just did the s-video mod for XEGS on kjmann's site with good results.

Originally I was using composite and had that terrible vertical banding issue. The s-video output is great...almost as good as my 800. Composite is now b/w (I never installed the switch mentioned in the mod), but I can't see going back to composite.

Suppose I should mention I'm using one of those $20 ebay s-video to VGA boxes as well, and even with that additional hardware the results are good.