IGNORED

Save Game Data

Metal Ghost

So a buddy of mine just bought an Xbox One, and it got me thinking: in the past every now and then I'd bring a game over along with my game save on USB. How does that work now? Are all game saves made to the cloud? So if I simply log in with my Gamertag and we install the game disc, then my latest save would be available?

I know that cloud saves have been available on 360 for a while now, and I've used them almost exclusively. But even then every 360 game asked you specifically what storage device you wanted to use. I've now realized that Xbox One doesn't ask. I'm completely fine with that, just curious.

Haven't really looked into this to be honest. Seems to me early on I messed with it a bit, but there wasn't much options at that time. In fact you couldn't even see what space was being taken up by files anywhere. Seems to me one of the updates addressed that at least somewhat. Checking the Live site there is a page on storage you might find helpful.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/system/manage-storage

Highlights...

"Your data is stored to both your hard drive and the cloud simultaneously. Xbox Live keeps your important data in sync so you don’t lose anything when you use a friend or family member’s console, or even when you switch to a new console.

Note A regular connection to Xbox Live is required to keep your data in sync. Playing offline may cause your cloud data to become out of date. Your data refreshes each time you connect to Xbox Live"
"How can I check my free space?
You can check the free space on your console by looking in My games & apps.
From the Home screen, select My games & apps.
On the left side of the screen, a meter shows the percent of storage space used and your total free space.
Note The Xbox One uses some storage for system files, so even with no games installed, you’ll not see the full 500 GB free."
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I can confirm that it does indeed automatically backp saves to the "cloud".

Reason is I was having problems log gin into Live with my ID. Finally gave up on all the other trouble shooting and restored the XB1 fearing for the worst. Turns out that when you pop the game into the system for the reinstall it notifies you of an update and it will automatically send your backups to the console. Nice feature really.