IGNORED

Jaguar Kiosk Monitor replacement

Greg2600

Hey all. This is not my kiosk, but I offered to help finding a replacement monitor. Now I know originally they had Atari ST monitors, but this one's is long gone. So is the VGA cable. It had a Mitsubishi 13" professional television, connected with composite I think. There's an Radioshack amp where the stereo audio goes into. The TV inside died, and most common 13" CRT's are too wide to fit in the kiosk. There is literally 14" of room, and most TV's are 14.25" wide. Anyone have any suggestions?

An Atari SC1435 monitor is what you want. They show up on ebay, keep an eye out for it. One of the Commodore 1084 variants is also identical to the Atari version.

Mitch

Thanks Mitch, that's what I told them, but can that Atari monitor take a cable other than VGA? Is there an alternative to the 1st party Jaguar VGA cable?

• 3 weeks later...

My Atari monitor using RGB just died too :(. Now I want to hook my Jag up to a VGA LCD monitor, I guess I need some kind of RGB to VGA converter? Will this http://www.ebay.com/itm/15Khz-RGB-RGsB-RGBS-to-VGA-Scan-Line-Doubler-Converter-/310413209763?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item484611b0a3 work? or is their a better converter/adapter out there?

Edited by SuperDork3000

My Atari monitor using RGB just died too :(. Now I want to hook my Jag up to a VGA LCD monitor, I guess I need some kind of RGB to VGA converter? Will this http://www.ebay.com/itm/15Khz-RGB-RGsB-RGBS-to-VGA-Scan-Line-Doubler-Converter-/310413209763?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item484611b0a3 work? or is their a better converter/adapter out there?

That looks like Gunstar's famous Ambery box, he swears by it. Do a search in the Jaguar section for "ambery" and you'll find his many comments on it. There will also be other posts from people who put their own things together in and around his.

If you've got about 4x that cash spare, an xRGB mini does RGB to HDMI in a mighty impressive way with a nice feature set.

• Like 1

I really want that xrgb to hdmi converter, but $400+ is just too much. I think I might try that RGB to VGA converter instead, it's a lot cheaper and should still give a nice picture.

Last question, would it be worth it to try and repair the original Atari SC1435 monitor? Does anyone know around how much it would cost to get it repaired? I'd like to keep the original monitor if it wouldn't cost too much.

I really want that xrgb to hdmi converter, but $400+ is just too much. I think I might try that RGB to VGA converter instead, it's a lot cheaper and should still give a nice picture.

Last question, would it be worth it to try and repair the original Atari SC1435 monitor? Does anyone know around how much it would cost to get it repaired? I'd like to keep the original monitor if it wouldn't cost too much.

I've heard people say that if you can still find an old TV/electronics repair shop tucked away somewhere, the old guy hidden in the back might be overjoyed to have the work and it might not be that expensive, though that could just be talk - anything like that in these parts vanished long ago when CRTs and VCRs became a thing of the past. For replacement, Atari monitors on eBay.com seem to be priced anywhere between expensive and insane.

• Like 2

Ok, I'm thinking about getting the Ambery box, but I'm not sure how I would hook it up because the video cable connected to my Jag is a DB9 pin and the Ambery box has a 15 pin female input....? I'm guessing I need another adapter from 9 pin female to male 15 pin to connect the cable coming from the Jag to the Ambery box? Ambery sells a 9 pin male to 15 pin male cable, but that won't work for me.

I also have a Grandtec GVC-2000 converter that accepts svideo and composite/component inputs that outputs to VGA. I could buy a Jaguar svideo cable and try to convert that to vga, but I'm not sure if that would work either. The latter would be the cheaper option for me, but would give me a poorer picture. I'm using a 15" monitor, so maybe the picture quality wouldn't be too much of a difference.

Edited by SuperDork3000

Ok, I'm thinking about getting the Ambery box, but I'm not sure how I would hook it up because the video cable connected to my Jag is a DB9 pin and the Ambery box has a 15 pin female input....? I'm guessing I need another adapter from 9 pin female to male 15 pin to connect the cable coming from the Jag to the Ambery box? Ambery sells a 9 pin male to 15 pin male cable, but that won't work for me.

Yep, I recall Gunstar mentioning a couple of times at least that he fashioned his own cable using the info on their site (or in the box, whichever).

There is literally 14" of room, and most TV's are 14.25" wide. Anyone have any suggestions?

If your still looking for a replacement you could try a Sony PVM monitor.

PVM-14M4U

13 5/8 x 13 1/2 x 17 inches

www.classiccomputers.info/down/monitors/Sony_PVM-20M2U.pdf

Edited by twoquickcapri

• 6 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2020 at 2:44 AM, JagLynx4Life said:

I’m having issues with my SC1435 too. Any luck guys? I heard it could be a flyback transformers - I’m curious if anyone has revived their monitor or anyone that knows of a local area in California. Thank you

I brought mine back to life with a flyback replacement. Worth a shot at least, those 1435s fit the kiosk perfectly and look so good.

I found a local tv shop that actually still repairs CRTs and ordered a flyback from Best Electronics. The Tech determined that this was the problematic part that has gone bad and was leaking. Does anyone happen to have the Atari Jaguar kiosk setup manual/PDF? I had it awhile ago but can no longer find it :( thanks!