IGNORED

OT: Do you use Linux

pjduplooy

1. Yep

2. I use Mint - although I've used Ubuntu, Trisquel, TinyCore, OpenSUSE, and Xubuntu - to name a few. But I love my Mint :D.

3. I use MESS at the moment to emulate the TI. I would very much to get PC99, and I would use DOSbox to run it, like I do my other DOS programs ;). Does PC99 run well on DOSbox?

Linux Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Good OS, fast enough, great for internet as I'm not worried about viruses etc ....

Emulating the TI? Fucking awful.

Native TI emulators I don't even bother with because I can't find the dependencies, Linux MESS doesn't like my laptop at all won't work (but yet Windows MESS under WINE works brilliantly?! ) , Classic99 runs under wine but won't allow for clipboard. Java V9t9 runs and is ok but a little choppy and stuttery.

Overall though Linux is a great hobbyist OS. :)

Edited by Retrospect

1. Yes, although not as my main OS anymore since I started getting into audio recording and had to get a Mac to run Logic Pro. Still prefer Linux of Mac though.

2. Ubuntu with stock Gnome DE instead of Unity

3. MESS and ti99sim, and in contrast with Retrospect's experience, both work perfectly on my system (although ti99sim is admittedly

a bit awkward initially when it comes to figuring out how to do basic stuff such as cartridge image loading and setting up your PEB).

Back in 2010 before I started working on the F18A I wanted to write an emulator, simply because I had not written one before. I was interested in the machine cycles of the CPU and wrote it mostly as a learning tool and for low-level debugging. I wrote it in straight C on FreeBSD until I got side-tracked with wanting to do the video part (implementing the 9918A). For that I switched to using MinGW and SDL on Windows, mostly because my FreeBSD box is headless. Or did I use wxWidgets? Hmm, I can't remember now. Anyway, after doing the 9918A emulation part I started thinking about doing it in hardware with the FPGA, and the rest is history.

Looking back now, I realize I still did not implement the CPU correctly according to how the hardware really works. I might go back and revisit it at some point, but I'd rather be working with HDL and FPGAs these days.

1. No, not if I have a choice.

2. FreeBSD.

I'm gonna regret asking this 'cause I just know it has the potential to turn into a huge religious debate, but why do you prefer FreeBSD over Linux so much? Is it a BSD vs GPL thing, or the design of the kernel, or... ?

• Like 1

Nothing to do with the licensing really. I have done administration on just about every Unix flavor and I prefer the BSD layout and such. Linux feels too ad-hoc and like a 14-year-old made some decisions about where things should go, without much apparent thought, or what programs to run just because something is new or popular. Also, you can't just say "I use Linux", you have to clarify the question with "what distro?", which then leads to my distro vs your distro, etc. I don't get into programming language or OS wars, and most people who do are clueless anyway and not the people actually working on the hardcore parts of the systems they are bitching about.

Linux is fine, I just find myself fighting with it more than getting things done. From a Unix system perspective I have always found FreeBSD solid, you can talk to the kernel hackers, and my boxes run for years. It is hard to say exactly why, but I'm much more at home on FreeBSD. The only way you really know is to try I suppose. For example, have you ever compiled a custom kernel on Linux? I have been doing custom kernels on FreeBSD since 1998 and it is easy. I heard that on Linux is it (or was in the past) a nightmare. Maybe that has changed though. FreeBSD is also known for performance and stability, which are important when you are running web services or database servers, but maybe not so much when you are setting up a personal workstation.

Oh, and I tend to not run a GUI on any of my Unix boxes, they are strictly headless servers. Microsoft is way ahead in the GUI realm, IMO, and nothing will compete with that without commercial dollars. OSX is ok, but it still feels squishy to me.

• Like 1

1) Yes, I use live distros via USB to go online on my 10 year old laptops. The XP installations on the hard drives stay offline.

2) Puppy Linux (mostly Wary), LXLE (low spec version of Lubuntu) and I'm also experimenting with other light distros for legacy hardware. I'm in the process of building my own PC and I'm planning to use that to explore the distros that won't run on my old laptops.

3) Never used a TI in my life (or emulated one, for that matter). All my emulators are XP.

1. Do you use Linux?

2. If you do, what distro?

3. Do you emulate the TI under Linux?

My answers:

1. Yes

2. Gentoo (mainly) and Ubuntu.

3. Yes, the java based v9t9 and dosbox for pc99. Havent used MESS under Linux as yet.

1. yes at home and at work

2. Xubuntu for desktops Centos for servers at work

3. Yes mess64 works great, also have classic99 in wine

1. Do you use Linux?

2. If you do, what distro?

3. Do you emulate the TI under Linux?

1) Yes.

2) Debian, Ubuntu, Red Hat, OpenWRT, and no distro (self-assembled).

3) I tried to get Classic99 up under Wine once, but I didn't get it going. So no.

Edited by Tursi
  • Like 1

1) Yes.

2) Linux Mint with Mate desktop - very similar to Windows look & feel. Also Lubuntu on a very old laptop.

3) I have Classic 99 and Win994a running under wine. I had no trouble getting either one to run, although there are some graphics settings that need tweaking in Classic. I used PlayOn Linux to set these up. I can't get the debugger or the clipboard working on Classic99. I ran Classic99 & Win994a in XB using Virtual Box and they work OK, but Classic is not very fast on my old desktop and has a tendency to hesitate, sometimes for long pauses. So I have been booting into Windows 7 for development work.

• Like 1

1. Only to crack Windows login passwords that people have forgotten, or for computers that people have inherited from individuals that have died and taken their passwords with them to the grave (my Mother-in-law being a prime example).

2. The one on the CD with the password cracker. :)

3. No, not interested.

1. Yes.

2. Ubuntu for years, but tired of having to switch from the atrocious "Unity" desktop and reverting back to Gnome; Ubuntu has lost its "cool" factor. Experimenting with Linux Mint on some machines and may switch.

3. No.

Am I the only one who LIKES Unity? It reminds me of the OS X dock which I always liked.

Am I the only one who LIKES Unity? It reminds me of the OS X dock which I always liked.

I like Unity. I just haven't used Ubuntu for awhile so didn't want to muddy the waters. I have a desktop to put back together that I plan to use for Ubuntu—I just haven't got around to it, yet. I've been too busy with fbForth cartridge development, lately.

...lee

• Like 1

I always thought it reminded me of OS X too ;), which I always liked. The big things that bother me about Unity though are:

1. Lack of customizability - the Dash 'panel' should be moveable.

2. Because of the way Unity task switches, you can only have 9 windows of one application open. I frequently have more than 9 firefox windows open at once, so switching between them is a nightmare in Unity.

I am only using two flavors of Linux of late: whatever the Linux core is on my HP TouchPad and Kali Linux on a Dell Mini 9. I am using the Mini 9 for penetration testing and playing around with other peoples' networks. The TouchPad is being groomed for pen-testing, but it is not entirely there, yet. The TouchPad can run Scapy and several other useful utilities, but the OS wraps the wireless LAN driver so even though I successfully compiled Air Crack, it cannot understand what to do with eth0 (no wireless extensions available.)

I have a VirtualBox-hosted Ubuntu 12.04 VM on my Windows XP x64 workstation which I am using mostly for class-work. In particular, using qemu-arm to prototype ARM images and ARM virus analysis (like the "Internet of Things" virus which attacked DVRs and other stuff.)

And, yes, Tempest, I think you are the only one who likes Unity. If I had to use that desktop every day it would push me to Windows 8. (I hear the 8.1 Update 1 is a manifestation of Microsoft's recent beating with a Clue Stick.) Though the changes coming in 14.x seem "meh" to me: for instance, the screen title bar hosting menus for application windows is reminiscent of the Amiga Workbench so it was not an issue to me.

I run Classic 99 on my Windows machines, not in Linux. I also run the real metal most times I can, but I am cheating by using a CF7+ for most tasks rather than a real PEB. I do have a PEB connected to a secondary QI unit.