IGNORED

OT: Do you use Linux

pjduplooy

Is that true? VMWare runs 64-bit OS's fine on my Windows 7 machines.... I don't think it's Windows7 at fault there?

VMWare Player is free - maybe give it a try and see if it's different?

Sorry for all the edits, I did notice you said "on some systems" -- maybe check your BIOS? - some BIOSs disable virtualization by default!

Not disabled in the BIOS. Remember, 64-bit hypervisor runs fine in XP x64 on the same machine. It is a combination of certain systems (in my case Dell Latitude laptops) and Windows 7 64-bit. I have spoken with some other people in my class having the same problems on other systems.

I found one forum thread in which a guy said he found it was due to XP Mode, and the effects remained even after removal of XP Mode. Since I had been using XP Mode I tried a brand-spanking new fresh load of Windows 7 64-bit to no avail. Something somewhere is preventing the 64-bitness of the underlying hardware from being exposed to the hypervisor.

• 4 years later...

1. Do you use Linux?

2. If you do, what distro?

3. Do you emulate the TI under Linux?

1. yes.

2. ubuntu mate 16.04 x64 & ubuntu 11.04 x86

3. yes. mess, plus windows xp install running in vm, running win994a-simulator and classic99. If only tursi would do a dedicated linux build. Oh well, free to dream, right?

1. I have Ubuntu loaded my Mac but do not use it much anymore as I do not know Linux DOS or commands at all.

2. Latest build of Linux out.

3. No as instructions for setting up running MESS have no videos or set up packages, all unsupported mostly.

(Anything mostly unsupported or barely supported get very small user base.)

What needs to happen with Linux and MESS is a complete package that you can download and use.

Anytime you set up a disaster of finding what is needed and to use or debug you get a teeny tiny user base.

Thus only few use that program and few know how to fix issues.

I gave up on Mess several times as how much time fixing it was greater then actual use of it resulted.

Edited by RXB

Guys, I can't help you if you don't tell me. In most cases it is a single line that you are missing.

So please tell me what exactly is happening on your Ubuntu 18 when you try to launch MAME (shell output). I'd be happy to help. :)

• Like 1

For the records, I'm using openSUSE Tumbleweed, and I've been consistently using a SUSE Linux on one of my PCs since 1998, so it's actually a 20-years history by now. I also use Ubuntu and Mint on some other PCs.

Is there a comprehensive easy to use guide to use MAME on Linux for us?

How about Videos on it?

Hmm, I think I'm not particular good at creating video lessons. I thought about it some times, but I'd rather go for an installation tool that I would upload to Whtech. Instead of trying to find the current release on mamedev, you would rather go to Whtech, and also find some release notes. A downloader could be equipped with a fixed download address, check for an existing installation on your system, ask whether you want to install a new one in parallel or upgrade the existing one, and so on... Everything possible. Time's the matter. The 99/8 and 99/2 had preference for the past months, and as soon as the Hexbus will work for the 99/2, I can get back to this idea.

However, if I am not mistaken, this thread was about Linux, not MAME. We should use the proper threads.

• Like 2

I did :) you were stumped same machine

Guys, I can't help you if you don't tell me. In most cases it is a single line that you are missing.

So please tell me what exactly is happening on your Ubuntu 18 when you try to launch MAME (shell output). I'd be happy to help. :)

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

1. Do you use Linux?

Yes

Mint (Cinnamon 64-bit)

No, but the enthusiasm you guys show for the machine makes me consider trying to get into it. I need to find a beginner's guide, because I wasn't exposed to it back in the 1980s.

1. Do you use Linux?

Yes, since 1997, with a gap while I was at university. I had a laptop with Gentoo optimized for four-second boot time before upstart, systemd, etc, and was using it one day for a midterm exam… OpenOffice needed to be recompiled. In the middle of my exam. Shortly after that I wound up with a Mac. A UNIX box I didn't have to screw with too much to do my school work. I stopped using Linux for major stuff at that point, but it was around and I used it here and there. In 2006 I got back into it when I built a DVR.

Usually Debian-based. When I first tried to install Linux, I came from OS/2. IBM had pretty much abandoned it after a pretty big push just two years prior as the "alternative to windows 95". I spent most of my time on a UNIX shell in those days anyway, and most of the OS/2 software I used was ported from UNIX systems. So Linux seemed natural. At the time, Linux meant Slackware or Red Hat, or so I'd been told. CheapBytes' Slackware was broken, and my hardware didn't automagically work with Red Hat for X11. Someone suggested I try Debian. I installed bo, attempted the upgrade to the testing version of hamm (libc5 to glibc 2.0) and hosed my system, reinstalled it, got some help, and documented the process.

I later became a Debian developer, got 3Dfx to GPL Glide, started dinking with OpenGL graphics, left Debian, went back to school as noted above, and have used a Mac on the desktop most of the time since. Not always and not exclusively, because I've usually had a Linux box somewhere.

Nowadays I have some responsibility for a2cloud and a2server, which are kinda lame by comparison efforts to do what tipi does for the TI, but for the Apple II, and LinApple, an fork of AppleWin that hasn't kept pace and needed some love.

I used a TI emulator under Linux but it didn't run right for me under Raspbian for some reason. I stopped messing with it then because I had no idea what was wrong with it, but I now know, so am likely to try it again on that platform. I'm gonna need to get it going again and perhaps emulating a TI connected to tipi if possible because I have plans… That's gotta be a bit low on my priority list right now because so many other things need my attention first. But … I have ideas and I know how to use a compiler.

I use Linux both professionally (Ubuntu/Vagrant for image generation) as well as hobby/home use. For home, primarily RPi's/RetroPie for arcade game emulation (with TI99Sim as well). But, I also have a RPi built into a custom robot. and even a custom device I created to give a face to the Amazon Alexa :) I've since added 3D printed skins that make it much cooler but haven't created any videos thus far. One of my favorite TI-related Linux devices is my TIPI which of course was created by JediMatt and Electric Lab!

I did :) you were stumped same machine

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Checked my PMs ... oh my, that was a mere 6 weeks ago. Sorry, already forgot that. The last message was that you wanted to send me the valgrind output, which I did not receive yet.

Yes

Mint (Cinnamon 64-bit)

No, but the enthusiasm you guys show for the machine makes me consider trying to get into it. I need to find a beginner's guide, because I wasn't exposed to it back in the 1980s.

If you're interested in a beginner's guide for the TI itself, it's a bit outdated now, but I cannot recommend enough watching Vectrex Roli's video on the subject:

The first thing to know is that there's now FinalGROM/99. (Also FinalROM/99, but you want the GROM version because it does more.) This little cartridge will take just about every piece of software made for the TI-99/4A on cartridge. The only exception I know of is Tursi's Dragon's Lair port, and that thing uses a cartridge that doesn't exist yet because it's 128 freakin' megabytes!

The 32k addon is still desirable. There's several ways to get it and you can't have more than one of them installed. It's actually possible to put the 32k in the console, but obviously that's a bad idea. I like JediMatt's 32k because it works with TiPi. You can read more about that elsewhere, Omega's done much evangelization on it. :)

That's enough to do most things people are doing with their TIs these days.

• Like 2

Vectrex Roli's videos are awesome! I've been a subscriber for several years and have watched most of his videos. I fully agree, it's a must watch.

If you're interested in a beginner's guide for the TI itself, it's a bit outdated now, but I cannot recommend enough watching Vectrex Roli's video on the subject:

The first thing to know is that there's now FinalGROM/99. (Also FinalROM/99, but you want the GROM version because it does more.) This little cartridge will take just about every piece of software made for the TI-99/4A on cartridge. The only exception I know of is Tursi's Dragon's Lair port, and that thing uses a cartridge that doesn't exist yet because it's 128 freakin' megabytes!

The 32k addon is still desirable. There's several ways to get it and you can't have more than one of them installed. It's actually possible to put the 32k in the console, but obviously that's a bad idea. I like JediMatt's 32k because it works with TiPi. You can read more about that elsewhere, Omega's done much evangelization on it. :)

That's enough to do most things people are doing with their TIs these days.

1. yes

2. Opensuse 12.1 - yes it is old, unsupported- but I'm avoiding systemd as long as I can, and Devuan seems to be lacking some packages (as packages are built now for systemd!). Tried Ubuntu before they moved to systemd but didn't like it.

3. TI99/sim 0.12.1

Also pc99 in dosemu and dosbox, pc99w under wine, and an ancient linux mess (0.97).

Still have and use original console.

regards

Stephen

Debian uses systemd by default, but still includes the ability to replace it with half a dozen other things. The point of Devuan was because Debian was expected not to give people that choice, but since it does, I don't know why Devuan exists anymore.

Systemd … I won't say it was a solution seeking a problem, because there was a problem it was trying to solve. It's not an optimal solution IMO, by far it's not. And I still think it's poorly documented for something as different to traditional inits as it happened to be. (I'm not 100% sold on some of its technical design either.)

That said, there are some definite advantages to using it, and more than once I've found myself annoyed trying to do things the Debian way so that they work with or without it since you'd do the thing in two completely different ways depending on whether you've got systemd or not. These are kind of edge cases, I realize, but … meh.

I recently found a book on Amazon about systemd … it um … I'm not posting a link here. Rule 34 and all that. I'm just walking away from that crap…

I started with CentOS (RedHat), but found that it was not updated enough. It's main goal is stability and backwards compatibility - too many packages were always out of date for my liking. I then went onto Fedora and have stuck with it, although my gripe there is the opposite. It's too cutting edge. I wish there were something that was in between the two.

As for systemd, I find it more intuitive than the old mechanism. But then again I don't do too much with it. I mostly use it for setting up services to run at startup.

Edited by chue

• 2 weeks later...

Yup Linux Mint 18.3 with Cinnamon Desktop, now with steam and many games coming to linux I haven't touched windows in years.

I don't emulate computers it's to much of a hassle sometimes, I'd rather use the real hardware if possible.

As a fun fact, the initial incentive for me to start contributing to MAME back in 2007 was pretty simple: It ran under Linux, and it was open source. If one of the other emulators would have been available under Linux, we would have got a completely different history. ;)

• Like 3