IGNORED

MESS 0.153…The next generation of Atari 7800 emulation

Trebor

I am just too stupid to get it up and running...

I understand why you feel like that, but there's no truth in it, Marc. When I started using MESS a short while back, it took me an embarrassing amount of time to figure out how to run games from command-line. It's well known that it's not the easiest emulator to setup and run, though they've improved the situation with the built in UI.

Trebor has provided some very good instructions, so hopefully you'll be up and running soon! :)

I tried b4 as well.. It didnt work so used the user friendly prosystem.

Now I wait and buy all carts till they make the h2 for convenience. But will still buy carts to support homebrew.

So count me in as too stupid as well..

The best system I use is the wii emulator for prosystem.

Also being too stubborn and lazy to read directions is a problem as well..

I am just going to say this because it is bothering me ...

If you can cut and paste on a computer... you can get MESS up and running in a few minutes.

I hate to say this but it is not rocket science...all one needs to make it work is:

1. The MESS program and / or UI Fortunately MESSUI 153 comes with both in one neat package

2. The Associated BIOS roms for the system you wish to emulate..note: some BOIS files are already resident(meaning already included) with MESS

3. Game roms

If you follow Trebors tutorial...E Z PEEZEE.

• Like 2

RevEng, the latest Xbox port runs those problem games quite well, like Missing In Action. MadMab worked on porting a bunch of MESS updates a few months ago and made quite a few compatibility tweaks. He may know how to get MIA working, since it's now working in his port.

RevEng, the latest Xbox port runs those problem games quite well, like Missing In Action. MadMab worked on porting a bunch of MESS updates a few months ago and made quite a few compatibility tweaks. He may know how to get MIA working, since it's now working in his port.

Any idea where the source code is, or where he can be reached?

The source (and binary) for atari7800x on #xbins is quite a bit older than that, so I assume you got it somewhere else...

Edited by RevEng

Well actually I did not do anything. Although it is possible updating to the newer maria code combined with something else somehow made it work. :lol:

However while going over the newer code (to updated it to 0153) I noticed some things based on what RevEng said about MIA's behaviour (accessing TIA collision registers).

FYI RevEng... Trebor already PM'ed me. Plus the xbox version of a7800x runs on a pretty old build of MESS (1.10). Porting the recent code was a little tricky. :lol: With the new 0.153 I might even have to add my own little (custom routine to memory.c) just to get some of the mapping stuf to work. :o

I told Trebor what I think it is. Once I get the newer code working I'm gonna remove those lines and see if MIA stops working correctly.

Edited by Shannon
  • Like 3

Yer welcome!

Well I just sent Trebor a snippet of the lines that I think do the trick.

I think they might provide access to the TIA collision registers. However two caveats.. (based on a quick look at the code).

1) I don't know what the TIA collision registers addresses are and I'm too lazy to look 'em up.

2) It looks like if those are the lines that fix the game the code looks like it always returns 0xff.

So essentially it is probably a hack. :lol:

Lemme know if it works. If Trebor needs a full a7800.c file I can send one. But it is pretty easy to figure out where to put the lines.

• Like 2

Correction... it always returns 0x00 for the collision registers.. It even says so in the comments!

Of course another possible way to confirm.. Grab an old copy of mess 1.10 and see if it runs. I think I have mess 1.10 on my memstick..

Hmm may be 1.07... sorry for any confusion. But that is what I have on my memstick. And I'm pretty sure I had it there for comparison testing.

Edited by Shannon

Try Mess 0.107... I think I had my versions mixed.

Hmm seems only update in the comments is

/* 30-Jun-07 - Updated the poly generation. Improved handling of the */

/* POLY5_DIV3 mode. (Wilbert Pol) */

Edited by Shannon

Phew... for a minute there I didn't think I'd be able to get it to work. The code structure changes in 0.153 are quite different than 1.07 but I managed to get the one final hold out "One On One" running properly in A7800x.

Btw the scrolling text speed in Karateka is fixed as well. Add that to your plus list? ;)

I'll be sending you guys the requested files sometime in the next day or so. I just wanna clean up the code some since I really mangled it up with comments and a few unneeded lines, etc. Plus I need to remove the dual maria scanline code since the old code is no longer needed anymore.

Edited by Shannon

So how is that multitest cart supposed to work? Does it respond to any of the console buttons or joystick movement/buttons?

Essentially, it performs some internal checks automatically, but is really just used to adjust the system's pot.

The goal is to get Color 1 and Color 15/F to match (~25.7 degrees) referencing what should be a solid golden color block on the right.

If there was a problem, instead of seeing the color calibration screen, you may see one of the following codes underneath a 'sad face':

01 - Failure to debounce either the reset switch or select switch
02 - RAM $0480 - $04FF error
03 - Diagnostic cart is running on a 2600 (cannot store to $2000)
04 - Status flags or stack error
05 - Failure of a PIA Timer
06 - Control port failure; occurs if not using proper diagnostic plugs or if the SWCHA ports are broken
07 - INPT failure; occurs if not using proper diagnostic plugs or if there is a failure in one of the INPT registers on the PIA
08 - Diagnostic plug failure
11 - RAM $0140 - $01FF error
12 - RAM $0040 - $00FF error
14 - Incorrect OS installed...$FFF9 error-- Either the left nibble at $FFF9 does not contain a valid bank size (i.e. > 48K) or the right nibble isn't 7.

Btw the scrolling text speed in Karateka is fixed as well. Add that to your plus list? ;)

Nice, huh? :)

I believe RevEng put it best in comparing previous 7800 emulation offerings to not even being in the same state, but now we are in the same ballpark. ;)

Seriously, the timings are very good. Try RevEng's real hardware comparison test ROM. Test with ProSystem, MESS, and whatever other 7800 emulator - That will provide a barometer respecting current accuracy.