IGNORED

Atari Keyboard Stickers - Advice

ballyalley

I've created 50 "stickers" for each key on a PC keyboard that are required to emulate the Atari 8-bit computer when running under the Altirra emulator. These "stickers" have been sent to a place called www.4keyboard.com. The company will recreate the keys using vector graphics. Eventually the stickers for use with the Atari will be available for sale from them. I'm not sure how much they'll cost. Be aware that this company, besides already making dozens (maybe hundreds?) of keyboard stickers for various uses already makes a set of Commodore 64 stickers that I've been using-- and enjoying!-- for several years now.

My first tentative idea of keyboard stickers already came up once before back in July of 2011. See my original posting for additional information:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/184504-atari-keyboard-stickers/

Atari 8-Bit Keymapping for Attached JPG Files

There are 50 keys that need stickers for use with the PC's host keyboard and the Atari 8-Bit Altirra emulator. Each key has been created individually and saved in an Photoshop documents. I've saved the original images as jpgs and attached them all in a zip file so that other people can examine the work that has been done already.

Here are all the keys that I've made:

Atari 8-Bit Keys (JPGs).zip

These files are not the final product. These were created for the designer(s) at 4keyboard.com to help guide them in creating their own sticker set.

Here is the key mapping to the PC keys followed by the name of the Atari key created for it.

A-Z Keys (26 Keys)

1. A: A-Key with Graphic Symbol for Atari 800 in Altirra.jpg
  2. B: B-Key with Graphic Symbol for Atari 800 in Altirra.jpg
  3. C: C-Key with Graphic Symbol for Atari 800 in Altirra.jpg
  4. D: D-Key with Graphic Symbol for Atari 800 in Altirra.jpg
  5. E: E-Key with Graphic Symbol for Atari 800 in Altirra.jpg
  6. F: F-Key with Graphic Symbol for Atari 800 in Altirra.jpg
  7. G: G-Key with Graphic Symbol for Atari 800 in Altirra.jpg
  8. H: H-Key with Graphic Symbol for Atari 800 in Altirra.jpg
  9. I: I-Key with Graphic Symbol for Atari 800 in Altirra.jpg
  10. J: J-Key with Graphic Symbol for Atari 800 in Altirra.jpg
  11. K: K-Key with Graphic Symbol for Atari 800 in Altirra.jpg
  12. L: L-Key with Graphic Symbol for Atari 800 in Altirra.jpg
  13. M: M-Key with Graphic Symbol for Atari 800 in Altirra.jpg
  14. N: N-Key with Graphic Symbol for Atari 800 in Altirra.jpg
  15. O: O-Key with Graphic Symbol for Atari 800 in Altirra.jpg
  16. P: P-Key with Graphic Symbol for Atari 800 in Altirra.jpg
  17. Q: Q-Key with Graphic Symbol for Atari 800 in Altirra.jpg
  18. R: R-Key with Graphic Symbol for Atari 800 in Altirra.jpg
  19. S: S-Key with Graphic Symbol for Atari 800 in Altirra.jpg
  20. T: T-Key with Graphic Symbol for Atari 800 in Altirra.jpg
  21. U: U-Key with Graphic Symbol for Atari 800 in Altirra.jpg
  22. V: V-Key with Graphic Symbol for Atari 800 in Altirra.jpg
  23. W: W-Key with Graphic Symbol for Atari 800 in Altirra.jpg
  24. X: X-Key with Graphic Symbol for Atari 800 in Altirra.jpg
  25. Y: Y-Key with Graphic Symbol for Atari 800 in Altirra.jpg
  26. Z: Z-Key with Graphic Symbol for Atari 800 in Altirra.jpg

Function Keys

Note: Function keys F1 and F7-F12 have blue text on them. This text is for use with the Altirra emulator only. It serves no purpose on the Atari-side.

1. F1: Function Key - F1 Key with Graphic Symbol for Atari 800 in Altirra.jpg
  2. F2: Start-Key for Atari 800 in Altirra.jpg
  3. F3: Select-Key for Atari 800 in Altirra.jpg
  4. F4: Option-Key for Atari 800 in Altirra.jpg
  5. F5: Reset-Key for Atari 800 in Altirra.jpg
  6. F6: Help-Key for Atari 800 in Altirra.jpg
  7. F7: Function Key - F7 Key with Graphic Symbol for Atari 800 in Altirra.jpg
  8. F8: Function Key - F8 Key with Graphic Symbol for Atari 800 in Altirra.jpg
  9. F9: Function Key - F9 Key with Graphic Symbol for Atari 800 in Altirra.jpg
  10. F10: Function Key - F10 Key with Graphic Symbol for Atari 800 in Altirra.jpg
  11. F11: Function Key - F11 Key with Graphic Symbol for Atari 800 in Altirra.jpg
  12. F12: Note Used - This key is unused in the emulator. No sticker was created.

Special Keys:

1. , [Comma]: Comma-Key with Graphic Symbol for Atari 800 in Altirra.jpg
  2. . [Period]: Period-Key with Graphic Symbol for Atari 800 in Altirra.jpg
  3. ; [semicolon]: Semicolon-Key with Graphic Symbol for Atari 800 in Altirra.jpg
  4. ` [back Tick]: Invert - Fuji Symbol Key [For ` Key] for Atari 800 in Altirra.jpg
  5. Caps Lock: Caps-Key for Atari 800 in Altirra.jpg
  6. Clear: Clear-Key for Atari 800 in Altirra.jpg
  7. Delete: Key for Atari 800 in Altirra.jpg
  8. END: Invert - Fuji Symbol Key [For END Key] for Atari 800 in Altirra.jpg
  9. Enter: Return-Key for Atari 800 in Altirra.jpg
  10. Esc: Esc-Key for Atari 800 in Altirra.jpg
  11. Insert: Insert-Key for Atari 800 in Altirra.jpg
  12. Pause/Break: Break-Key for Atari 800 in Altirra.jpg
  13. Tab: Tab-Key for Atari 800 in Altirra.jpg

What Do You Think?

I'd like some advice. Do you like what you see? Are all the stickers for keys that may be needed available in what I've created? I want to make sure that I haven't missed any keys, so this is for you Atari 8-bit emulation users to look over carefully.

Be aware that I am not making the final sticker-set-- there is a designer at 4keyboard.com who will be doing that. I have no final say in what will be eventually available-- I can only help them by giving them as much data needed to get started on a good sticker set.

I'll direct the person that I've been in communication with over at 4keyboard.com here so that he can see the ideas that you all come up with. This is your chance to have your input heard for the creation of these Atari keyboard stickers, so don't miss out!

Adam

Great. I'll have a look at these later when I can access the zip:). For the FPGA side I'm using the real Atari layout, so having stickers would be great. ie each ps2 key maps to a position in the Atari keyboard matrix.

Few initial thoughts...

I don't see the number keys there, am I missing something?

How about a 'power button'/coldstart key in addition to reset?

These are great-- I've not seen them before. They are not what I'm looking for. I decided not to include the international character set on the keyboard. I may actually purchase these anyway... I kind of like them. These would even work well on a real Atari.

I don't see the number keys there, am I missing something?

How about a 'power button'/coldstart key in addition to reset?

1. The number buttons aren't included because the Altirra emulator maps the PC keyboard keystokes to the Atari. For example, Shift-2 on a real Atari gets you quote marks. On the PC keyboard pressing Shift-2 gets you the "@" symbol. So, if you press Shift-2 on the PC's keyboard under Altirra you still get the "@" sign (which normally requires you to press Shift-8 on the Atari). All of the PC keyboard strokes work this way. It's quite handy. For this reason, I didn't actually have to make any stickers for the numbers.
  2. The "Power" button requires you to press Shift-F2 (meaning Shift-Reset). I wanted to fit "Power" on the F2 key, but there was just no way to do it without the key's sticker becoming much too crowded. Plus, I have no way to convey to the user to press the shift key.

I see, but I think it's better to have stickers for all Atari keys, then they can support Altirra and an actual direct Atari style mapping. Or even use them on a real Atari job to refresh symbols:)

It looks like "all Atari keys" gets the winning vote. 4Keyboard.com would like to see a "full" set of stickers.

I just got 4keyboard.com's first pass at creating the stickers. They gave me permission to post what they have made so far here on this forum. These stickers are still in flux-- they may change, and there will be certainly be more stickers. Here is what they came up with thus far:

post-4925-0-41111300-1397074095_thumb.jpg

This is based on the keys that I sent to them that I created in Photoshop. This will put together in a 24-hour turn-around time!

What else would you like to see added to this sticker set? Does anyone notice something that needs to be fixed with what has been made so far?

• Like 1

Looking good:)

As well as numbers +*- and =, along with some fine arrows:) <> with clear/insert. [] on the ,. keys.

I wonder whether the key itself can have more weight than the ctrl symbol. Good for typing in basic stuff but otherwise less useful. My 600xl actually doesn't have them at all!

For the f keys do we still need them to say 'f10' etc? Since the Atari doesn't have them? Well I think 1200xl has f1 to f4. I agree having debugger keys included is good though different emus etc may have different ones.

As well as numbers +*- and =, along with some fine arrows:) <> with clear/insert. [] on the ,. keys.

For the f keys do we still need them to say 'f10' etc?

I think that "+*- and =, along with [...]" are considered part of the "full" set.

If there are extra "blank" stickers then maybe function keys can be printed without key descriptions, but otherwise I think that is staying.

I should hear back today with another example and progress. I'll post what I'm sent.

Here is the newest version of the Atari stickers:

post-4925-0-38364300-1397235570_thumb.jpg

They are waiting for feedback to wrap-up this project. I have yet to look it over, I'll do that later today. However, I want to post the "stickers" here to get as much feedback as quickly as possible.

Do you see anything that needs changes? Or additions?

Here is the newest version of the Atari stickers:

attachicon.gifatari8bit screenshot 11042014.jpg

They are waiting for feedback to wrap-up this project. I have yet to look it over, I'll do that later today. However, I want to post the "stickers" here to get as much feedback as quickly as possible.

Do you see anything that needs changes? Or additions?

What about other emulators? Atari800 has F12 as Warp Speed F1 as the emulator menu. The option, select, start keys are different too.

Great, looking good. OK, just comparing with my 600XL and XEGS... and some online stuff.

I suggest these adjustments:

i) F1-F4 for 1200XL (I guess we can just leave them off since we have real F keys, but good to show they are 'Atari keys')

ii) Can we put '[' on the ',' key?

iii) Can we put ']' on the '.' key?

iv) Can we put '<' as the main function on 'Clear'?

v) Can we put '>' as the main function on 'Insert'?

vi) Great to have the +*-= arrow keys. I vote for the Atari style inverse arrows:-)

I voted before for my preference for slightly faded or different colour inverse video symbols. Also I still vote for separating functions from 'the key underneath', then they can be placed wherever people want. Emulators change over time and these keys, even in Altirra, may eventually change location - or be remapped by the user ;-)

What about other emulators? Atari800 has F12 as Warp Speed F1 as the emulator menu. The option, select, start keys are different too.

Understood. The sticker sheet will have keys that won't be used by people that use all of the Atari emulators. If a user uses the Altirra emulator then some stickers, such as "Warp Speed" and others, will be useful. For other emulators those stickers will be "extra" ones that won't be applied to the keyboard.

There are separate stickers for other Atari functions keys. The Help, Start, Select, Option and Reset keys have keys without the host's function key printed under it. Users of other emulators can use these keys instead. I do use Altirra and I still plan to use the Atari function keys without the host key printed on it.

Great, looking good. OK, just comparing with my 600XL and XEGS... and some online stuff.

i) F1-F4 for 1200XL (I guess we can just leave them off since we have real F keys, but good to show they are 'Atari keys')

ii) Can we put '[' on the ',' key?

iii) Can we put ']' on the '.' key?

iv) Can we put '<' as the main function on 'Clear'?

v) Can we put '>' as the main function on 'Insert'?

vi) Great to have the +*-= arrow keys. I vote for the Atari style inverse arrows:-)

I voted before for my preference for slightly faded or different colour inverse video symbols. Also I still vote for separating functions from 'the key underneath', then they can be placed wherever people want. Emulators change over time and these keys, even in Altirra, may eventually change location - or be remapped by the user ;-)

Good points all. I will request each of these keys in addition to what's already on the sticker sheet.

I asked what the limit was for the amount of stickers on a sheet and was told, "We can make any size because we don’t have limitations in the length for sticker (limit 46 meter roll)" Now that's really something, isn't it?!

Only thing I'd ask them now is if they can quickly combine the ',' and '.' with the control symbol and the shift symbol. They are on two keys right now.

I won't be able to reply to them until tomorrow evening (Tuesday). I just heard back from them a couple of minutes ago and they said that they'd rather get it right the first time. "One day or one week," are the exact words used. I'm glad to hear that. This also will give some people time to view the newest version of the keyboard stickers and suggest changes/additions if they have any.

I got the latest sticker sheet to check over. All suggested changes mentioned in this thread are on it, so I approved the sticker sheet. I'll get an email in a few days saying when it will be ready to order and how much it will be. I'll let you all know. Thanks for the suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...

The Atari sticker sheet is done and is available for sale right now. I started a seperate topic about it here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/225142-atari-8-bit-sticker-for-sale/

Thanks to everyone that made suggestions.

This is what my Dell keyboard now looks like when I use Altirra:

post-4925-0-60625200-1399400981_thumb.jpg

Finding the keys that I want to use now is a breeze. I love it!

• Like 1

The Atari sticker sheet is done and is available for sale right now. I started a seperate topic about it here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/225142-atari-8-bit-sticker-for-sale/

Thanks to everyone that made suggestions.

This is what my Dell keyboard now looks like when I use Altirra:

attachicon.gifAtari Keyboard.jpg

Finding the keys that I want to use now is a breeze. I love it!

Nice - the gf will be getting me one of those KBs, and I am ordering stickers tonight :)