IGNORED

HoverStrike CD Vs. Cart

Paul Westphal

I don't have the cart, but I have heard the CD is a considerably better game. I can only vouch for the CD version, which I find highly enjoyable and playable.

I don't know if the CD version is much different gameplay wise except for a little more smoothness. Other than that they are pretty close. The main thing the CD version has for it is some kind of updated 3D engine with Anti-aliasing and filtering on the polygons.

the biggest difference imo is the addition of a tank-like control scheme to the CD version. although the hovercraft controls are a little difficult to manage at first I prefer them in the long run as they add another dimension to the game (i.e. you can shoot in one direction while moving in another).

I really like hovercar games (shockwave 2, aircars, what little there is of phase zero) but I thought hoverstrike was a little bland. this extends to the CD version, as you essentially get a few more levels that are barely distinguishable from the set on the cart version. For a game that was all about setting a technical benchmark for the jaguar, it really had no visual flair- such as trees, distinct buildings .etc

Edited by Willard

http://forum.nexgam.de/index.php?page=Attachment&attachmentID=4408&h=d4c55abe2f6047e0fc25386ce3f0ec498c4d5a20

Antialaising... no

just 3 fps more

cd sound

better controlls

more levels

groundshading

lighteffects

better controlls

videos

very little improved texturequality by 3Dengine

Well whatever they did there is relatively very little aliasing in it. (Jaggies on the polygon edges)

• 1 year later...

I understand having more grafx and more levels due to the size of the CD format Vs Cart but what makes it have better frame rate if the Jag CD adds Zero Horse power?

It's actually not just 0. Reading from CD in the middle of the level takes away a lot of performance (though in this particular case I am not sure if game is streaming the level data in the middle of level, or merely reads from CD upon start of the level).

The reason why CD version has better framerate and few more effects is that the dev team was able to spend additional development time on improving the engine (optimizations,features).

Lots of jag games would have turned out way smoother, if only developers were given couple more weeks to optimize. Sometimes, even a week can produce drastic improvements to framerate. Example - if some game takes less than 3 vblanks per frame (e.g. 60/3 = 20 FPS) and developers can reduce it down to 2 vblanks (after a week of optimizations), the framerate jumps from 20 to 30 FPS (60/2).

• 2 months later...

I'm trying to complete the cart version right now, and after a couple of levels you get used to the controls, the sliding, te lagging and what's up in the game. I find it to be playable indeed, and enjoyable: it sure gets my adrenaline kicking on level 5 missions! I like this kind of games, 3D roam about and shoot all that moves! :)

Will later move on to the CD version that is waiting, when I'm done.

Edited by Atlantis