IGNORED

Spiker frustration

mr_intv

Why doesn't anyone auction off Spiker on eBay anymore? Damn buy it nows! Is anyone actually paying over $1000 for a loose cart? I'd be interested to see just what it would sell for in auction. I'd be even more interested if someone has one to sell me for a fair price outside of epay.

The last auction sold for ~$850, but prior auctions went for much higher. Some people are thinking that the price is dropping for Spiker while others think the last auction was just a lucky deal. Personally, I'm thinking I got lucky / good timing with that one.

There's no way anyone should pay $1000 for a loose Spiker. I would guess in an auction $300-400 would be a fair price and I suspect $1000-1500 for CIB in good condition, although since there has been a bit of a drought the last while it could go higher in a bidding frenzy.

There's no way anyone should pay $1000 for a loose Spiker. I would guess in an auction $300-400 would be a fair price and I suspect $1000-1500 for CIB in good condition, although since there has been a bit of a drought the last while it could go higher in a bidding frenzy.

Yeah, there's no way someone should pay $1000 for a loose Spiker, but in today's world it wouldn't surprise me in the least. I was doing well on most of my bids for anything on ebay up until around February when suddenly it seems like I'm now losing on everything and prices are have become unreal. I'm calking it up to tax refund spending at this point. Hopefully the spending dies back down soon! I'm getting twitchy not winning much of anything the several weeks!

• Like 1

I saw something posted somewhere once with a rough estimate of how many Spikers were made -- it wasn't many, only about 3-5K. There's just not enough supply to meet demand, so prices are going to stay high.

Curiously enough, this game and Stadium Mud Buggies were both released at the same time, the last cart releases by INTV. But I never hear anyone bitching about Stadium Mud Buggies. Why is Spiker the rare one of the two? :ponder:

What makes this even worse? Spiker is a GOOD game -- far better then then Stadium Mud Buggies, and I'd put it on my list of top 10 Intelivision games. It was the best volleyball game made until Kings of the Beach by Konami for the NES and the modern DOA:Xtreme Beach Volleyball games.

Edited by SoulBlazer

I saw something posted somewhere once with a rough estimate of how many Spikers were made -- it wasn't many, only about 3-5K. There's just not enough supply to meet demand, so prices are going to stay high.

Curiously enough, this game and Stadium Mud Buggies were both released at the same time, the last cart releases by INTV. But I never hear anyone bitching about Stadium Mud Buggies. Why is Spiker the rare one of the two? :ponder:

What makes this even worse? Spiker is a GOOD game -- far better then then Stadium Mud Buggies, and I'd put it on my list of top 10 Intelivision games. It was the best volleyball game made until Kings of the Beach by Konami for the NES and the modern DOA:Xtreme Beach Volleyball games.

Agreed, Spiker IS a great game! I bought one from INTV mail order, threw the box away, ugh. I then bought a boxed game and sold my loose for around $400 I think...

My thinking is there are probably no more than 20 Spikers complete in the original box in the world.

Interesting point. Of the thousands produced, how many are in collectors hands? How many in old storage lockers and basements? How many in landfills? I suspect the number of known copies (owner knows they have one) is higher than 20. There are likely plenty of collectors, including 125 members (qualified to be), that aren't part of gaming social networks. Maybe time for a poll?

Well, we know that as an absolute minimum there must be at least 9 since that is how many Platinum 125 Club members there are from Rev's site. Add myself as a Spiker CIB owner and the number becomes 10. This of course leaves room for many more (20? 50? 100?) but at least a lower limit is known.

http://intellivisionrevolution.com/the-125-club

As I've mentioned on The Intellivisionaries, I had a CIB Spiker, that I bought at INTV's retail store in Torrance, California around 1990. I believe I paid about $20 for it. I wish I had stocked up at the time, but who knew?

Anyway, I sold it on ebay in 2008 before getting married. It was bought by a guy in Italy (maybe Alex Pace) for around $1,100. I also sold some other rarities. Do I regret it? Maybe a little, but for that kind of money, I could never justify buying it again. Besides, I can still play it on my Cuttle Carts. And it is a DAMN GOOD game at that.

wow, that must have caused a lot of buzz. I passed on Spiker several times at crazy low prices ($20 to $50) for reasons that seemed perfectly sensible at the time. Hindsight's 20/20 they say. That said, I do have a baggie copy unopened and a loose one w/ manual. Just that one box. ARGH.

The KC is something I nagged my parents about constantly as a kid - and it was one of the reasons they got us the Intellivision in the first place. However, I've still never even seen one in person. Closed I've come is one of the manuals.

wow, that must have caused a lot of buzz. I passed on Spiker several times at crazy low prices ($20 to $50) for reasons that seemed perfectly sensible at the time. Hindsight's 20/20 they say. That said, I do have a baggie copy unopened and a loose one w/ manual. Just that one box. ARGH.

The KC is something I nagged my parents about constantly as a kid - and it was one of the reasons they got us the Intellivision in the first place. However, I've still never even seen one in person. Closed I've come is one of the manuals.

Well next time you're in Vancouver.....oh, and bring your bagged Spiker with you. ?