IGNORED

Biggest PSX Game?

jhd

What is the biggest game for the original PlayStation? By this I mean, which game had the most disks?

The X-Files and Final Fantasy IX games both required 4 disks.

I've seen online accounts of an unreleased Baldur's Gate game that spanned even more -- supposedly one reason for its demise; it would have been too expensive to produce.

Riven has 5 discs.

Wow, didn't know a Playstation game had 5 discs! I knew of several that had 4, but that's a new one to me.

Now, I wonder what the biggest disc game on PC was? I recall several Sierra games coming on about 10 3.5 disks, and there were some that were on 7 CD's.

Wow, didn't know a Playstation game had 5 discs! I knew of several that had 4, but that's a new one to me.

Now, I wonder what the biggest disc game on PC was? I recall several Sierra games coming on about 10 3.5 disks, and there were some that were on 7 CD's.

Yeah the Sierra games had massive amounts of disks like the later King's Quests. I still have mine but they are in storage so I cant really check.

Ultima VII and Doom 2 had a lot of floppies but I dont think as many as the Sierra ones.

I have no idea which one had the most. :P

Yeah the Sierra games had massive amounts of disks like the later King's Quests. I still have mine but they are in storage so I cant really check.

Ultima VII and Doom 2 had a lot of floppies but I dont think as many as the Sierra ones.

I have no idea which one had the most. :P

The PC EGA version of "Dragon's Lair" came on 13 floppies. http://www.dragonslairfans.com/thegames/dragonslair.htm

Of course a few years later, floppies were becoming obsolete for large computer games and replaced by CD-ROM.

Edited by mbd30

The PC EGA version of "Dragon's Lair" came on 13 floppies. http://www.dragonslairfans.com/thegames/dragonslair.htm

Of course a few years later, floppies were becoming obsolete for large computer games and replaced by CD-ROM.

Imagine installing that? lol

Commodore had games that had tons of disks too like the Amiga and C64 but I remember on the 64 they were double sided so that helped a bit.

Disk swapping was a chore in those days....

Wow, 13 disks! I thought that 8-10 was a pain in the ass. :-D

At least Sierra tried to keep you amused while you were doing the installing of their games. They'd have messages on the screen as it installed. Sometimes it was the normal 'be sure to check out our other games, please read the manual while you wait, etc.' type but sometimes also damn funny, like 'you don't like having to wait this long to play the game? Pay homage to the teams of people who worked on this for over two years at 60 hour work weeks, etc.' :P

Right...but it wasn't funny right after you finished installing all those disks and it said, "please open the manual, turn to page 457, Paragraph 4, Line 9 and enter word # 6"

....every time you want to play the game.

You just wanted to pummel them.

That's why I used cracks. :twisted:

• Like 1

My Arc the Lad Collection for the PS1 has six discs which they managed to squeeze into one of those double-decker jewel cases.

Hum....I had that game also (loved it!) and trying to think about how many dics's it came with....I'm not sure it was six, maybe cause I had the collector's edition? I recall that Arc 1 came on 1 CD, Arc 2 came on a second, and Arc 3 was just 2, I think. There was a soundtrack CD also, not sure about the last one.

Hum....I had that game also (loved it!) and trying to think about how many dics's it came with....I'm not sure it was six, maybe cause I had the collector's edition? I recall that Arc 1 came on 1 CD, Arc 2 came on a second, and Arc 3 was just 2, I think. There was a soundtrack CD also, not sure about the last one.

Hmmm, I went back and looked at my copy and noticed this: The case states there are 5 discs included in this collection but there are actually 6 (Arc the Lad, ATL 2, ATL 3 discs 1 & 2, Arc Arena Monster Tournament disc, and ATL The Making Of disc). All discs have the ATL Collection insignia on them, so that's kind of odd.