IGNORED

any updates of lost caves of kroz release

It's probably on par with old school, since some of the movement code was lifted from that. However, things were modified to aid in response time.

Actually I should rephrase that. The response time itself is pretty good. Not DK2-good, but suitable for the puzzle -style of game that I made.

Kroz works on a 20x12 2D grid-based system, and so movement is restricted to eight cycles of one pixel each in order to move him one grid space. So, even a tap of the disk will cycle the man eight pixels to the next spot on the grid. Early on I toyed with the idea of having him move freely throughout the rooms. That, of course, is possible with a bit more coding. However, I decided against it for a few reasons that seemed good enough at the time. ;)

Otherwise, the man moves at a brisk pace and interaction with objects is immediate. As I said above, the engine was never meant to make pacman-style maze games even if I did throw a few mazes into Kroz. However, it's my opinion that the less-than-brilliant cornering and unstoppable eight-pixel cycle don't detract from the game and this holds true even with the maze puzzles.

Edited by KnechtRuprecht
  • Like 1

The game looks like it's going to be fantastic, and as an aside, I just played Old School earlier tonight for the first time and I really didn't find the cornering to be an issue. Now if I could just get overlays, a box and a manual to go along with my four copies.... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Elektronite, Classic Game Publishers, and Apogee are pleased to announce that The Lost Caves of Kroz is complete!

Right now, the control code is being refined, but it is ALMOST ready for testing.

In the meantime, we are hard at work designing overlays and writing a manual for the EPIC Intellivision release.

post-31813-0-72608500-1398699856_thumb.gif

post-31813-0-07205800-1398699866_thumb.gif

post-31813-0-38077800-1398699874_thumb.gif

post-31813-0-69229700-1398699883_thumb.gif

post-31813-0-77077500-1398699893_thumb.gif

post-31813-0-18461200-1398699905_thumb.gif

post-31813-0-03502800-1398699917_thumb.gif

post-31813-0-58712900-1398699925_thumb.gif

• Like 12

As already mentioned, Kroz is finished. ONE thing is still to come. Sound is going to be added to the 'scroll'. The scroll 'sets the scene' of the game, and right now is silent.

We are ready for testing. I am making 5 copies, ACIB ('Almost complete in Box') available to interested parties for $100 US plus shipping.

What do you get for your money? Well, first of all, you get a prototype copy of the game that you can keep. Secondly, you get to preview the game about 5 months before everyone else. Finally, you get to contribute to testing. NO MANUAL or OVERLAYS are included in the package. If you find a bug, you will get an honourable mention in the manual.

The game comes in an official Kroz box, and uses an LTO shell with an official Kroz sticker. The cartridge will be labelled as a 'test copy'.

IF interested, email willy_moeller@hotmail.com

First come first serve. If you drop out, the next person in line takes your place.

post-31813-0-95210000-1399400500_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

As already mentioned, Kroz is finished. ONE thing is still to come. Sound is going to be added to the 'scroll'. The scroll 'sets the scene' of the game, and right now is silent.

We are ready for testing. I am making 5 copies, ACIB ('Almost complete in Box') available to interested parties for $100 US plus shipping.

What do you get for your money? Well, first of all, you get a prototype copy of the game that you can keep. Secondly, you get to preview the game about 5 months before everyone else. Finally, you get to contribute to testing. NO MANUAL or OVERLAYS are included in the package. If you find a bug, you will get an honourable mention in the manual.

The game comes in an official Kroz box, and uses an LTO shell with an official Kroz sticker. The cartridge will be labelled as a 'test copy'.

IF interested, email willy_moeller@hotmail.com

First come first serve. If you drop out, the next person in line takes your place.

PM Sent

So one gets to pay for the privilege to be a software tester? It's a good that the compensation for the same position with my company is completely opposite of this one.

Actually, No.

We already have two testers who will do extensive testing. They are in the credits. This is paying for a chance to preview the game, and obtain a prototype in the process. The 'payment' for actually testing the game is a credit in the manual should something be discovered.

Having more instances of people trying the game with no guarantees that it is 'bug free' is 'win/win' in my mind.

• Like 1