IGNORED

Team Pixelboy News Bulletin - April 11th 2014

Pixelboy

Hello ColecoVision fans!

With winter finally behind us (well, for the most part) it's time for an update on what Team Pixelboy is up to this year. I have some extra juicy news bits for you today, some you are likely already aware of, and others being special surprises!

THE SUPER GAME MODULE IS BACK ON TRACK

With Eduardo Mello back from his extended break (or self-imposed exile, whatever you want to call it), the rest of the first run of SGMs having been recently shipped to customers, and Eduardo working towards the second run of SGMs for release this summer, I think it's safe to say that the future of the SGM is looking much brighter than it did just a couple of months ago.

Of course, the SGM is just a paperweight without some games to make good use of it, and I have to start by saying that I am currently out of SGM games. I really have nothing left in stock. I plan to make more copies of Dragon's Lair, Zaxxon Super Game, King's Valley, Thexder, Buck Rogers Super Game and Mecha-8 next summer but it would help if I knew how many copies of each game I should manufacture. Some of the people who pre-ordered a SGM from the second run already bought some SGM games in advance, some others aren't really interested in Team Pixelboy's SGM offerings (as they are essentially just waiting for the release of Opcode's DK Arcade) and so it's hard for me to guess how many orders I will get for SGM games once the people on the second-run waiting list start receiving their SGM in the mail.

All this to say that I have begun managing a waiting list for each individual SGM game, and there are already several names on these lists. If you are on Opcode's list for the second run of SGMs and haven't contacted me yet about your future purchases of SGM games, you should really take a few minutes to write me an e-mail and let me know which SGM games you plan on purchasing later this year. This will help to reduce the time you will have to wait between the day you receive your SGM and the day you receive your Team Pixelboy SGM games to play with. As always, I am not taking pre-orders, I will accept payment for these SGM games only once they are actually ready to ship, but it's still in your best interest to contact me right away so that I may add you to the waiting lists.

MORE SGM GAMES ON THE WAY!

Eduardo's return has also caused the "reactivation" of certain SGM game projects which had fallen into limbo. This year, I am planning to release The Goonies and Knightmare, in addition to TwinBee, all of which are MSX games ported to the ColecoVision by Eduardo. But that's not all! 2014 will also see the release of another SGM game, namely (...drum roll please...) Subroc Super Game! Mystery Man worked feverishly to convert this ADAM Super Game prototype to cartridge format, and let me tell you, this was no easy job! The way the ADAM game was coded really made Mystery Man's head spin, and you should all congratulate and thank him for succeeding in converting it to standard MegaCart format.

In 2015, I will release a few more SGM titles, namely Ghostbusters, The Stone of Wisdom and Spelunker. Actually, Ghostbusters may be released in 2014, I haven't made up my mind about that just yet. I also haven't decided exactly when I will release 2014's lineup. I will probably release a few next fall, and the rest on Christmas Day 2014, but really, that's still up in the air right now.

My immediate concern is finishing all the box templates so that I may have the boxes printed as soon as possible, and I may need your help with this. More on that later in this news bulletin... ;)

WHAT ABOUT NON-SGM GAMES?

Team Pixelboy will be releasing quite a few SGM games this year and next year, but some ColecoVision titles that do not require the SGM will also be released. I have updated the official Team Pixelboy web site (http://teampixelboy.com) with information on all the new upcoming releases, and I invite you to drop by and take a gander.

The first non-SGM game on my release schedule is Jewel Panic. I have made some very nice progress on this game over the last few months, but there's still a lot of work to do on it, so I'm not sure when it will be released. I'm hoping to release it in 2014.

Front Line - Standard Controller Edition is another title I'm looking to release in all deliberate speed. All I'm really waiting for is for Eduardo Mello to finish the hack of the original game, and the rest of the project (in terms of packaging) should fall into place rather quickly.

Joust. Yes, the arcade game. With all sound effects included. On the ColecoVision. Wait a few seconds to let that piece of news sink in... :D Yep, it's no hoax! I was able to score a publishing deal with Sean Kelly, who owns the prototype of Joust with sound. The only thing missing from this prototype is a proper title screen, and Mystery Man is currently working on disassembling the ROM and adding a title screen according to my specifications. The game will be officially released on cartridge, with box and manual, at the Classic Gaming Expo next September and that's the only place you will find the game at first. After CGE, the game will become available for purchase online. Oh, and did I mention the game will feature actual sounds? ;)

The fourth non-SGM game actually migrated from the "Personal Projects" section of the Team Pixelboy web site to the "Outsourced Projects" section. Last Monday, as a birthday gift, Mystery Man offered to program Boxxle for me. This is great news indeed and I am very grateful, because with his enviable programming expertise, Mystery Man will be able to make Boxxle exactly the way I've always wanted it to be done: It will be a 64K game packed with all the levels (and cut-scenes) from Boxxle and Boxxle II on Game Boy (and perhaps even more levels if there's any room left on the cartridge). There will also be a level editor, and the player will be able to save his creations on the cartridge thanks to an 8-kilobyte EEPROM included in the cartridge. The EEPROM will also allow us to replace the password system (used in the Game Boy games) with an instant savegame feature.

TRADING CARDS?

With all the great news presented above, you can guess there's a small dark cloud to go along with it. Since all these newly announced game releases will take up quite a bit of my free time, I'm pretty much forced to put the ColecoVision trading card project on hold until next year. But what would you rather have? Trading cards or actual new ColecoVision games to play? :P

PLEDGE DRIVE TO GET THE BOXES PRINTED

The trouble with not having a job is, well, the absence of income. :P My financial situation is far from critical, but I have to watch my spending until I am once again employed, so I came up with a way to control my expenses for my upcoming homebrew games: If I haven't found myself a new job by mid-May, I will start a basic pledge drive.

The idea is simple: People will be able to pledge 5$ for every game they intend to purchase among Goonies, Knightmare, Ghostbusters, Subroc Super Game, The Stone of Wisdom, Spelunker, Joust and Boxxle. All the money collected will go directly to getting all the boxes printed. If a person pledges 5$ for all 8 games, this will amount to a 40$ pledge. Once the games are released, those people who pledged money will get a 5$ rebate on the games they placed a pledge on. So it will be like a partial pre-order.

I will contact everyone on my customers records via e-mail, and also post a special News Bulletin on AtariAge, if and when I decide to go ahead with the pledge drive.

Of course, if I can find some interested investors who would be willing to lend me some money, I can go down that route as well. My general policy in that case would be to reimburse the money entrusted to my care in full once the games are released and sold. As you all know, I've never been into this hobby for profit, so for me, it's money in, money back. And in the end we all get some new games for our beloved ColecoVision consoles. :)

Anyway, I just wanted to bring this up today as a plain possibility. If something happens regarding a pledge drive, it's going to happen next month, not now.

This concludes this Team Pixelboy News Bulletin. We now return you to your regular forum activities. :)

• Like 15

Since you aren't currently working, why don't you speed up your release schedule. I am mostly done with Ghostbusters and Knightmare, and I think I could have the remaining two done by June. I am currently broken due to some of my personal issues last year, so that would be advantageous for everybody, you, me, and CV fans... And you never know which kind of job you are going to get next, it could be something that would make you really busy, so now is the time... ;)

• Like 3

Fantastic news :thumbsup:

I have all your SGM releases so far but you can count me in for each and every future SGM and non-SGM release from Team Pixelboy. Also, as offered before, I'm willing to be an investor for the cause. Just drop me a PM and we have it up and running.

Tons of great news Luc! I too am willing to be an investor, let's chat via PM and get this done.

Thank you, gentlemen, I will look you up at the appropriate time. :)

Since you aren't currently working, why don't you speed up your release schedule. I am mostly done with Ghostbusters and Knightmare, and I think I could have the remaining two done by June. I am currently broken due to some of my personal issues last year, so that would be advantageous for everybody, you, me, and CV fans... And you never know which kind of job you are going to get next, it could be something that would make you really busy, so now is the time... ;)

Actually, my Team Pixelboy projects as well as other personal matters (like filling out tax forms for me and my mother) have been keeping me busy lately, so I haven't seriously started to look for a job yet. Yeah, I know, I should really get started on that. I'm stretching my sabbatical a little too much... :)

Anyway, I've begun working on the box templates, and most of them are not too demanding in terms of free time, but there are a couple of difficult ones: I need to vectorize the title logo of Spelunker, and it's a rather complex job that's going to take some time. But the worst one will be Boxxle, because I need to vectorize the entire box art from the SG-1000 version. I really need to put the priority on the boxes, no matter what happens with my (upcoming) job search. Once all those box templates are done and ready to go to print, I will be able to breathe a little easier.

By the way, Eduardo, I sent you some e-mails recently, and if you really want to help me speed up my release schedule, it would be nice of you to reply so we can settle a few minor details. I promise it won't take long. ;)

Another great news update with a ton of tremendous news for all us CV fans! Hopefully it will all be smooth sailing throughout development and production and we'll be enjoying some great news games later this year. As always, anything that I may be able to lend assistance with, don't hesitate to ask.

Looking over that list of upcoming games again brings me to the conclusion that you already have a full-time job as a CV Publisher... well, that is a dream job and not the real world job that will eventually be needed once again. To think, this was supposed to be the year you took off from publishing games and concentrated your efforts on BasicVision. Oh well, there is always next year or the year after that. I'll do you a favor and pass on the bad news re. BasicVision to "theloon". :P

Glad to hear that things worked out with Sean Kelly concerning Joust. I knew it eventually would considering he had two tremendous CV publshers to choose from to get the job done, but I do have to admit that I was getting a little nervous.

BTW, thanks for pushing back the Trading Card project as I haven't had the time to get around to taking pics of everything else that you asked of me. Next year sounds great!

Almost forgot, one more ADAM Super Game conversion down. Woohoo!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Like 2

"But what would you rather have? Trading cards or actual new ColecoVision games to play? :P"

Well that's simple!! :twisted:

Scrap all of the rest of this c-rap and have Ed and Mystery Man develop an entirely new game based upon Trading Cards!!!! :P :P :P

I'm dying to try out Spelunker (and all of the other games) - loved that game on my C-64.

Time to start putting money aside to pay for many Coleco goodies that are forthcoming! :grin:

• Like 1

I actually like the idea of a new game based on the trading cards! As I mentioned in another thread, the card game within Final Fantasy VII would be an excellent model to base the concept on!

Oh, and regarding all of the new games coming out - this is fantastic! Although I might have to get a second job to pay for all of the games coming out in the next 12 months...

Troy

Sign me as interested in copies of both Dragon's Lair and Joust.

:)

For Dragon's Lair, please send me an e-mail.

I'm not managing any kind of waiting list for Joust, or any other upcoming game that will be released later this year.

However, this has reminded me of something that I completely forgot to mention in my news bulletin: I can now confirm with certainty that I will produce more copies of Battle of Hoth and The Black Onyx, probably in May or June. If anyone here wants a copy of either or both games, please send me an e-mail ASAP to be added to those particular waiting lists. I may also be persuaded to make a few more copies of Module Man...

• Like 1

It looks that 2014 will definitely be an incredible year.

I'm quite happy to learn that Super Buck Rogers will be released. Mystery Man, you have all my appreciation and admiration :)

Excellent news for the other planned releases, especially Joust. Thanks Pixelboy!

It looks that 2014 will definitely be an incredible year.

I'm quite happy to learn that Super Buck Rogers will be released. Mystery Man, you have all my appreciation and admiration :)

Buck Rogers Super Game was released a while ago already. I suppose you're talking about Subroc Super Game? :)

Excellent news for the other planned releases, especially Joust. Thanks Pixelboy!

You're welcome. :)

Okay, so now I feel I should say something because it's becoming clear to me that some people didn't bother to actually read the first post of this thread, they just saw the few game titles in bold characters and went oh-my-gosh-gotta-make-sure-I'm-on-the-list-for-those-or-else-I'll-miss-out-and-die-of-embarrassment-when-these-games-sell-out-twelve-hours-after-they-go-on-sale. :-o

So allow me to make things clear for everyone: I am NOT managing waiting lists for the likes of Goonies, Knightmare, Joust, etc. so sending me an e-mail to "get on the list" for those upcoming releases is an exercise in futility. I can add you to my customer records if you so wish, so that you may be notified of new titles by e-mail on the day of their release, but if you have purchased games from me in the past, you're already in my customer records, so again, futile. :)

The specific games for which I am currently managing waiting lists are the following:

- Battle of Hoth

- The Black Onyx

- Module Man

- Dragon's Lair (SGM)

- Zaxxon Super Game (SGM)

- King's Valley (SGM)

- Thexder (SGM)

- Buck Rogers Super Game (SGM)

- Mecha-8 (SGM)

Thank you for your interest in Team Pixelboy games. ;)

When it comes to all these CV goodies, your adoring fans are like a bunch of kids in the weeks leading up to X-Mas just wanting to make sure our parents have the correct items on the list for Santa to bring. :lust:

BTW, can you put me down for one SubRoc - Super Game!!! :dunce:

When it comes to all these CV goodies, your adoring fans are like a bunch of kids in the weeks leading up to X-Mas just wanting to make sure our parents have the correct items on the list for Santa to bring. :lust:

BTW, can you put me down for one SubRoc - Super Game!!! :dunce:

THAT'S IT NO GAMES FOR YOU!!! ONE YEAR!!!

• Like 1

Any chance that the Joust box could be orange and match the other Atarisoft titles?

Either way great news on one of my all time favs.

Boxxie also sounds interesting. Thanks for all you hard work and dedication to the ColecoVision Homebrew scene Luc!

Any chance that the Joust box could be orange and match the other Atarisoft titles?

Either way great news on one of my all time favs.

Boxxie also sounds interesting. Thanks for all you hard work and dedication to the ColecoVision Homebrew scene Luc!

Even if luc goes with standard pixelboy box which I would prefer, I have the orange joust atarisoft box which my CGE joust now sits in. So you could still get that box if you want from someone else. I think I got them from Mark.

• Like 1