IGNORED

50 Most Frustrating Moments in Video Games

cimerians

Going to the arcade to play the newest, coolest fighting game with your friends only to find the machine occupied by ONE OF THOSE GUYS who refuses to let anyone else play until he's beaten. And, of course, since he spends all day in the arcade practicing, and is friends with all the arcade supervisors, and has downloaded all the moves and combos off the nascent internet, you basically have no chance. The only person you're going to get to play against is this shithead.

Adventure. On the 2600. The Bat. I'm sure everyone knows what I mean.

The ghost is flashing, but you know you can eat it. It's flashing, flashing, Pac's mouth is closing around the tasty blue morsel... then, just at that instant, it turns Red. #@%&*!

• Like 1

Some more I recall:

Atari Grand Prix. Simply coming to a dead stop made me want to break an Atari controller. I spent a lot of time memorizing the patterns as a kid and it still drove me nuts when I messed up.

Dragons Lair in the arcade circa 1983. Seeing someone beat the dragon with 2 quarters (it was 50 cents where I lived) while you struggle to get past the Black Knight.

Buying Pac-Man on the Atari 2600 not knowing what your really getting on the drive home.

Bards Tale...getting attacked by 8 Mad Dogs or Barbarians without having saved back at the inn for over an hour.

Getting poisoned and running out of food in Ultima.

• Like 1

You're playing one of those games where you have to "roll" stats. The game's randomizer is helpfully calibrated to make low scores pop up 95% of the time. So you're sitting there for an hour just hitting reroll constantly. You've gotten into a rhythm. Reroll, sucks, reroll, sucks, reroll, sucks, reroll, sucks, reroll, sucks, reroll, sucks, reroll, sucks, reroll, sucks, reroll, FANTASTICALLY AWESOME, reroll, sucks....

AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH!

• Like 2

You're playing one of those games where you have to "roll" stats. The game's randomizer is helpfully calibrated to make low scores pop up 95% of the time. So you're sitting there for an hour just hitting reroll constantly. You've gotten into a rhythm. Reroll, sucks, reroll, sucks, reroll, sucks, reroll, sucks, reroll, sucks, reroll, sucks, reroll, sucks, reroll, sucks, reroll, FANTASTICALLY AWESOME, reroll, sucks....

AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH!

lol...this made me laugh. You hit the re-roll key so much you skip all those 18's. (or whatever high ability scores you wanted).

Class of Heroes was the last game I played where I sat there for 10 minutes rerolling. Almost took me a half an hour to create the party.

1. Smurf's Rescue: Jumping.

2. Athena: Getting to the final boss and finding he's indestructible.

3. Diablo 3: Encountering Azmodan for the first time and kissing face with his insta-kill fireball.

4. GTA 4: Any mission involving a motorcycle chase.

5. .hack, Part 4: Dungeons that force you to data drain until it kills you

6. Diablo 2: Getting the game at launch only to find it locks when to hit a scorpion.

7. Resident Evil: Rotating like a satellite dish when you should be running like your pants are on fire.

8. Fallout 3: That moment in Rivet City when all the shopkeepers realize it's past cerfew and go berserk on you.

9. Bionic Commando: Missing the final jump and fire to kill Hitler.

10. Phantasy Star II: Not saving Nei no matter how hard you level up.

To me this is like the modern E.T. theory.

I cant recall ever doing this back in the day??

Just curious…did you actually own an NES at launch? Modern fixes exist today, such as the 72 pin connector upgrade, but back in the day, when these systems/games got old and worn out, they were touchy at best. Blowing into the cart was the only way to get some games to work.

And what exactly is the "modern E.T. theory"??? :roll:

• Like 1

To this day, the hardest part of a video game I've ever experienced was the challenge mode at the end of Resident Evil Code Veronica for the Dreamcast. If you play as Wesker, you're given only a knife and one herb to run through a gauntlet of the most difficult levels in the game. Brutally difficult to say the least. But HUGELY satisfying when you actually make it through to the end. I'll also mention Legendary mode in Halo 2. It took me and a friend HOURS just to clear one room to advance to the next area. No falling back to respawn your fallen co-player either! Now that was tough...

Just curiousdid you actually own an NES at launch? Modern fixes exist today, such as the 72 pin connector upgrade, but back in the day, when these systems/games got old and worn out, they were touchy at best. Blowing into the cart was the only way to get some games to work.

And what exactly is the "modern E.T. theory"??? :roll:

What I mean by the Et reference was that to me the blowing on nes carts and ET 2600 sucking so bad it killed all video games are both mythical and never happened.

I cant remember what year the nes was but it was the front load model.

Maybe a 89 I think I was 12..

The nes always played games for me.

Perhaps like you mentioned the few early models had problems? Game systems and music, movies etc. Always took at least 6 months to 1 year to get to this area of the world. And still does.