IGNORED

Unboxing of the 7800 RAM dev cart...

PacManPlus

Christ, Bob...You got me drooling all over the place...Among the spacious work space, the sweet Invaders decals, the custom console, Bentley Bear running in full glory, and just throw the nail in the coffin with the dev RAM cart (Not that I have the skill to make the best use of it)...Just DAMN! That is SWEET...Thanks for sharing it. :)

Bravo CPUWIZ and thank you for getting it into Bob's hands.

• Like 2

I had a whole bunch of people with pitchforks in front of my house last weekend, they were holding signs that said "Hand over the DevCart proto to Bob now!" and some that were not so nice. :ponder:

Nice vid, cheers Bob. :)

EDIT: And sorry for packing it too well. LOL

• Like 4

Sorry guys, part two will be this week. Had a couple of real life things come up, doing some work on the weekend. :(

I apologize for the delay.

I've got the joystick cable soldered in (had to use a generic cable so I had to map the colors - of course they weren't the same), so all I have to do is test. :)

Edited by PacManPlus

Christ, Bob...You got me drooling all over the place...Among the spacious work space, the sweet Invaders decals, the custom console, Bentley Bear running in full glory, and just throw the nail in the coffin with the dev RAM cart (Not that I have the skill to make the best use of it)...Just DAMN! That is SWEET...Thanks for sharing it. :)

Bravo CPUWIZ and thank you for getting it into Bob's hands.

BTW, thank you :)

(Those are Berzerk decals, made by Crazy Climber)

:D

Edited by PacManPlus

Here are parts two and three of my testing CPUWIZ's RAM development cartridge... It really is a thing of beauty!

Part two: http://youtu.be/RQgsw38BZWY

Part three: http://youtu.be/SAoCbA5oB4Y

Questions:

- Can you re-load an image without powering it off?

- If so, is it possible to program this with a command line? (I use batch files to compile programs, and it would be cool to include the copying of the program in the batch file). :)

Thank you very much, CPUWIZ. I will get quite a bit of use out of this. :)

Bob

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 6

Questions:

- Can you re-load an image without powering it off?

- If so, is it possible to program this with a command line? (I use batch files to compile programs, and it would be cool to include the copying of the program in the batch file). :)

Thank you very much, CPUWIZ. I will get quite a bit of use out of this. :)

Bob

1.) You could put a couple of lines of code into RAM, which turns the BIOS back on and then just jump to the reset vector. You could map this to a button on the console. Or you could solder a cable to a switch and connect the switch to GND and the IRQ line on the cart and setup the IRQ vector to execute the code below, just make sure the code is in RAM, since it pulls the rug out from under you.

E.G.

lda #0

sta $3000

nop

jmp ($fffc)

2.) Not at this time, it's a MFC application, I haven't looked into what it would entail. I could however, most likely add a button that calls your batch file from the MCP control program.

BTW, the COM port number, is a common thing to be different on different machines. You can also change the port number in the system settings. Which reminds me, I forgot to tell you to go there and set the baud rate to 115200.

• Like 1

Man, I seriously hope I didn't invest too much cash into 512K NVRAM chips. There doesn't seem to be much interest in this. It's all good though, at least Bob has one and will get one of the first working 144K + POKEY carts as well.

Man, I seriously hope I didn't invest too much cash into 512K NVRAM chips. There doesn't seem to be much interest in this. It's all good though, at least Bob has one and will get one of the first working 144K + POKEY carts as well.

I don't mind futzing with drivers and eeprom programing utilities on my PC. I just don't have enough skill to mod my 7800 or solder together anything without burning down the house. I forget how much of either your nifty RAM cart involves. :)

• Like 1

I don't mind futzing with drivers and eeprom programing utilities on my PC. I just don't have enough skill to mod my 7800 or solder together anything without burning down the house. I forget how much of either your nifty RAM cart involves. :)

There is no soldering involved, USB driver install and you are done. Bob has the skills to solder a joystick cable into a PCB and beyond, so I didn't bother. Plus, I didn't charge him for it and I would charge 5 bucks for a CX-40's death. ;)

I have to re-iterate though, this is not for warez kids, bankswitched commercial games will not work.

The latest design is NVRAM only, so the game is persistant, program it and take it anywhere you want.

There is no soldering involved, USB driver install and you are done. Bob has the skills to solder a joystick cable into a PCB and beyond, so I didn't bother. Plus, I didn't charge him for it and I would charge 5 bucks for a CX-40's death. ;)

I have to re-iterate though, this is not for warez kids, bankswitched commercial games will not work.

The latest design is NVRAM only, so the game is persistant, program it and take it anywhere you want.

Well, you know me. In fact, you helped me pirate my own game and subsequently give away several of those carts at last years ArcadeRX expo. I can't wait to order this wondrous device so I can steal more game ideas from what's left of my imagination! :P

There doesn't seem to be much interest in this.

Are you serious, CPUWiz? This has to be about the neatest thing I've seen. (I mean, aside from the part where you made an Atari 7800 sing like the great divos and divas of the opera house.) This really is a pretty sweet setup. Price and timing of availability might matter a little, but I'm pretty sure I could find a use for this.

• Like 1

Are you serious, CPUWiz? This has to be about the neatest thing I've seen. (I mean, aside from the part where you made an Atari 7800 sing like the great divos and divas of the opera house.) This really is a pretty sweet setup. Price and timing of availability might matter a little, but I'm pretty sure I could find a use for this.

Same here. This would be a serious advantage to programming on the 7800. Even if it just turns out to be for my own amusement.

Haven't I put my name on your list already (beside the multicarts). If not: I want one :)