IGNORED

Amiga 1200 PAL to NTSC display options

eebuckeye

I have read a few topics on this but the more I read the more confusing it gets.. :-) I connect to the composite port on the Amiga 1200 to my tv and get black and white only after setting to NTSC mode. I also tried an A520 adapter and it was the exact same as using the composite port on the PAL Amiga 1200. I know the Indivision Amiga 1200 scan doubler adapter would work to fix this issue but the cost around $200 is much more than I would like to pay.

Could I get help/clarification with these questions?

1) Why do I read so much about SCART when people are talking about PAL to NTSC? I believe SCART is only for European tv's?

2) Could I use an adapter as this? I assume if I use this I would still need to put into NTSC mode every time I turn on the Amiga 1200? http://www.amazon.com/Panlong-Converter-Scaler-Coaxial-Consoles/dp/B00D86UYBS/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1397358721&sr=1-3&keywords=pal+ntsc+rgb+converter

3) Should I get a 23pin RGB to SCART cable and then use this converter? It seems like this handles and converts and PAL/NTSC signal?

http://www.amazon.com/Panlong-Converter-Scaler-Coaxial-Consoles/dp/B00D86UYBS/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1397358721&sr=1-3&keywords=pal+ntsc+rgb+converter

Just seems like there are many cheaper solutions for what I would like to do instead of the Indivision adapter.

Thank you!

The problem you have is that although Amiga can display the "other" system, the colour clocking is still the same as it's native format, which some TVs won't handle. B & W is the least problem on the scale, next up is rolling screen or no display at all.

Are you in NTSC territory? If so, it's usually the case that fewer NTSC TVs and monitors will adapt to PAL. In PAL countries it became common for TVs in the mid/late 90s to be able to handle an NTSC signal.

If you were to aquire a 1084 or similar 16 KHz capable RGB monitor then it should work - when using the RGB mode there's no colour carrier, the monitor recieves all the raw signals directly. But there's still possibility of issues, not all such monitors will handle the 50 Hz PAL mode.

I have both PAL and NTSC Amiga 1200s, and similar multi-format systems. The Commodore 1084 series monitors will take these signals without bias for regional difference. While I do have a PAL/NTSC/SECAM TV for the few systems that I don't have a solution to replace their RF output, if I don't use a 1084, then I simply go from SCART to HDMI using a $40 adapter and plug directly into a regular LCD/LED TV/monitor. That works in both NTSC and PAL modes for all systems with a SCART cable (and a huge range of systems have those made for them these days). The SCART to HDMI adapters you linked to in your post will work fine under that scenario, as it's similar to the one that I use