IGNORED

Midwest Gaming Classic A8 report

I was told not to expect much Atari 8-bit stuff at the Midwest Gaming Classic 2014, which was a good thing because otherwise I would have been disappointed. It was a fun convention, but there was a very small A8 presence.

In the vendor area, I saw:

- one XE Game System in box for $125. The guy said it was complete except for the games. I didn't ask to look at it, so I don't know what shape it was in.

- one Moon Patrol cartridge for XE/XL, still shrink-wrapped in box for $15.

On display elsewhere, I saw:

- one Atari 400, set up with Donkey Kong

- two Atari 800s, one with Boulder Dash and one with Choplifter

- one XE Game System, can't remember which game it had running

The 400 and one of the 800s were in really good shape and very clean. The other 800 was okay, but it could have used a good once over with a damp washcloth and probably some time with Retr0Bright.

And that's it for A8 stuff. A 400 was my very first computer, so it was nice to see one in such good shape.

Other Atari related items seen:

- tons of 2600, many 5200 and a few 7800 games and systems

- two Atarisoft disk games for the Apple II, Donkey Kong and Pac Man, both still in shrink-wrap, neither had a price tag

- one mint condition, shrink-wrapped in box 2600 cartridge of the infamous Custer's Revenge for $150. I thought about taking a picture of it to prove I'd seen it, but then I thought, "Why would I want anyone to know that?" It was gone by the time I made a second pass of the vendor area

- there was some kind of Atari ST set up for display, but I've always resented the ST for taking business away from the 8-bits

I'll probably go back next year.

Edited by Smokeless Joe

That's too bad there was not that much A8 there. At the last retro gaming swap meet here in portland I was the only guy in the entire place with a table full of A8. This is why I have been buying up as much as I can this last year to make a strong showing for the two shows here in Portland. I'm buying XEGS right now, and have a good stock of 3rd party carts and 48k 400's.

Same guy who had Moon Patrol also had five loose carts, one of them was Atari Writer for $5 so nothing special.

The other 800 was okay, but it could have used a good once over with a damp washcloth and probably some time with Retr0Bright.

Give this man a break. This was his original 800 which he bought in 1982. He was very knowledgeable and you could talk with him about 8-bit.
In the computer room I wish there was someone you could talk about Atari but I couldn't find anyone. They should definitely find better games to show on Atari. I had to instruct one couple how to play Choplifer. They could show some newer games on the XEGS.
It looks like you didn't made it to lower level and meet the Jaguar guys in the corner by the stairs. They were also very knowledgeable, very helpful and busy, we talked about home brews, flash cards and also about 8-bit Ataris.
I bought working Jaguar (may need some work, I'm getting occasional RSoD) with one controller and one game for $80. Unfortunately, I also step in to TurboGrafx room and saw Magical Chase so I picked up TG-16 on craigslist and ordered Everdrive.
I wonder if it would be worth to bring my modded 130XE with U1MB, stereo and VBXE to show it without top case in some plexiglass box and show the stuff that people write for it now?
Edited by ZuluGula

I was there looking closely for A8 games also. I actually bought about 15 last year nothing rare but some solid titles. I saw exactly what you saw there and it wasn't much. I actually did buy bug hunt this year for $1 just because. I did see the A8 trackball in a tote of joysticks for $15. I would have bought that if I hadn't bought one there last year. Even though missile command is the only game that really uses it.

Edited by Dripfree

Give this man a break. This was his original 800 which he bought in 1982. He was very knowledgeable and you could talk with him about 8-bit.

It looks like you didn't made it to lower level and meet the Jaguar guys in the corner by the stairs. They were also very knowledgeable, very helpful and busy, we talked about home brews, flash cards and also about 8-bit Ataris.

My comment about the 800 turned out way more judgmental than I intended; I apologize to its owner. I have the crappiest 800XL in the world so I'm in no position to judge, except maybe in a takes-one-to-know-one kind of way. He was very friendly and invited me to play Boulder Dash when he saw me admiring his system.

I did see the Jaguar guys downstairs, I just forgot about them. My ownership of Atari began and ended with the 8-bit line, so my perspective is pretty narrow. My loss.

I thought that missile command was the only game that could use it in analog mode. Am I wrong on that? Maybe there are disk games that offer analog support?

There was an updated Centipede posted to the forums that support it too. (Technically, it's not analog mode, it's just trackball mode :-)

I can't find my trackball to try it out though. :-(