IGNORED

TI 99/4a computer for low vision even the blind?

I have begun to wonder if the 99/4a was ever marketed towards those with low vision. You see I frequent a thrift store which is a charity for the blind. Naturally those who have received from the charity often donate later on. So they often have many items for those with low vision, such as books on tape or book magnifiers. So far I have found 2 TI 99's there and MANY carts (a lot of the learning games but also many game games). I have actually never found any TI items at any other thrift stores. This got me thinking the TI seemed to have more color contrast then most other computers of the time and obviously the voice module. This had to be why I kept finding these items at that store. I did a few searches to see if it was ever marketed this way. All I found to support my theory was this very interesting article written by a by a blind TI programmer. Thought some of you might be interested.

http://www.mpnhome.net/blind/blindcomputing.htm

Edited by Dripfree

• 1 month later...

The attached little program by Rasmus for the F18A makes the screen & contrast even more sharp looking than one would have thought possible. As a lot of us TI'ers get older, I'm sure we'll all be thanking Rasmus more making this one.

Just run the program, then you can go your merry way, even hit reset! It'll work with ANY program. If you want to clear it out of memory, you have to TURN OFF the console.

PAL.zip