IGNORED

My Magical Rainbow Unicorn Pony sighting at Midwest Gaming Classic

It exists and I played it at the Midwest Gaming Classic over the weekend: The Tutorvision!

The system was running a game called Map Mazes. In the game one has to perform certain tasks -- such as visiting different locations or finding animals that had escaped from the zoo. There were three different variations of the game on the cart, with different levels of complexity. Since the game (and system) were intended for kids, none of the variations are all that difficult.

In regards to the system itself, it most resembles the original 2609 console molded in a light gray plastic. The console has gold nameplates and blue accents on the controller. As for the controller itself, it features a bubble keypad vs. flat ones used in the Intv II and System III. The plastic of the controllers is also slightly smoother than the original (using a glossy plastic vs. the textured plastic of the original). The button placement, disc and controls themselves are pretty much the same as the Intellivision I.

med_gallery_30607_1138_322248.jpg

med_gallery_30607_1138_276171.jpg

med_gallery_30607_1138_398516.jpg

med_gallery_30607_1138_368136.jpg

med_gallery_30607_1138_253175.jpg

med_gallery_30607_1138_1127402.jpg

med_gallery_30607_1138_209162.jpg

med_gallery_30607_1138_1466101.jpg

• Like 11

If I were to guess, I would say it was the one owned by the Chicago guy as the BSR printout that was placed on top of the unit referenced him. There was no one around to ask about it so I wasn't able to find out more.

It was displayed as part of the console/computer museum and locked down via the acrylic cover. The controller was sticking out of the cover, allowing one to try out the system.

Aside from this, the biggest surprise for me in that area was a CoCo3 running a version of Donkey Kong that was near arcade perfect in both sound and graphics. From what I remember of those computers (at least the CoCo2) a port like that shouldn't be possible.

Sadly, there were no Keyboard Components to be found.

EDIT: I found a couple of links for the CoCo3 Donkey Kong

Edited by bikeguychicago

I'm sorry I wasn't in the room when you were checking it out. The TutorVision referenced in the BSR paper was Ted Brunner's, he found his in a thrift shop in Skokie, IL a few years before I found mine.

I found this one with two TutorVision cartridges in Batavia, IL in 2005 at a garage sale.

-Chuck

• Like 2

Chuck,

Nice find! I wish I was that fortunate with garage sales and/or estate sales. The best I came across so far was a Tomy Tutor unit (which I passed on).

Do you have any video or pictures of either of the games? I'm sure the rest of the group would be interested. Also, out of curiosity, have you tried playing any Intellivision games on it as well?

I'm sorry I wasn't in the room when you were checking it out. The TutorVision referenced in the BSR paper was Ted Brunner's, he found his in a thrift shop in Skokie, IL a few years before I found mine.

I found this one with two TutorVision cartridges in Batavia, IL in 2005 at a garage sale.

-Chuck

Congrats on this awesome find. There are many here that would love to know more about the unit. If you ever get a chance, we'd love to see some more pictures and/or comments of any of the features that you could put together.

A video of the system at work would be great as well!

-Chuck

Congrats Chuck, I remember reading about your find before. Absolutely the best garage sale find ever. That said, when you tire of it or feel like funding a holiday, I am but a PM away. Seriously. :)

Yes, they convert Canadian $ to US $ but they still leave it in metric. What's more American than trying to calculate how many fluid ounces go into 6 cubic feet of pennies (1232 fluid oz, of course)? ;)

You had me at Imperial Gallon.

Yes, they convert Canadian $ to US $ but they still leave it in metric. What's more American than trying to calculate how many fluid ounces go into 6 cubic feet of pennies (1232 fluid oz, of course)? ;)

ah, but if you were to melt those pennies, what would the approximate dynamic viscosity be? Please give your answer in slugs/foot-second.

• Like 1

Thanks for the post! Love the opportunity to see it (even if it is only secondhand). Very cool of the owner to display it at the show and allow access to it. Something that rare, I'm not sure I would be as cool. :P

Atari_Bill, The room we were in had a lot of rare items. The only Intellivision besides mine had the piano keyboard, which was pretty cool.

I was lusting after an Atari Video Music and The only Atari Game Brain I have ever seen.

-Chuck