IGNORED

Sony: True Innovation

Rhomaios

If those ideas represent "innovation," then both sony and nintendo need to knock it the hell off and make game systems.

I think the swipe at karting is a bit unfair, however. It's a popular genre, and if sony systems didn't have at least a couple great games per generation in it, they wouldn't be doing their job.

• Like 1

Expect worse refresh rate and field of vision.

While I am severely skeptical about both the Rift and Morpheus, there are 2 problems with this statement-

First, about the refresh rate and FOV, you don't know this yet. It's more than a year off. Sony is claiming that somebody will be able to play on Morpheus while another plays the same game on the same PS4. This implies that the unit will have its own dedicated APU, likely one better than the one in the PS4. (This also implies that it will cost the same as, if not more than the PS4 itself. That's a different problem.)

Second, the original statement came from John Carmack. While the guy is a genius, and definitely knows what he's talking about, he is talking about the competition. No company, no athlete, no politician will tell you that "the other guy" is just as good, if not better, than they are. It doesn't happen.

Plus, everyone, stop feeding the troll.

Seriously.

Every console maker is just ripping off Atari.

Every auto manufacturer is ripping off Mercedes-Benz.

Every American President is ripping off George Washington.

Every King of England is ripping off William the Conqueror.

Or maybe someone is just bitter that Santa only brought them a Wii U for Christmas.

• Like 2

The PS3 had PSP connectivity before the Wii U was even announced. And before that Sega had the primitive but cool VMU.

Not to mention that kart racers are now a 20 year old genre. Might as well say that Blaz Blue is a rip off of Street Fighter IV for all the sense the Mario Kart/Little Big Planet Karting comparison makes.

• Like 1

I thought it was mildly humorous, not really inflammatory or even controversial. The first comparison really gets to me, though, because although seemingly everyone moaned at "waggle controls", Sony goes and adopts it, and Sony and Microsoft make big bucks selling motion games like Kinect Animals. Kind of bizarre how the internet doesn't really reflect real life.

Also, Gabriel, I remember plenty of people did say that Mortal Kombat and all the fighters that followed all were "ripping off" Street Fighter II, but then again, every side-scrolling platformer was a rip-off of Mario (or for those that weren't enamored with Mario, a rip-off of Prince of Persia or Pitfall!.

Benny has the right idea.

PpKKnOa.gif

• Like 2

The first comparison really gets to me, though, because although seemingly everyone moaned at "waggle controls", Sony goes and adopts it, and Sony and Microsoft make big bucks selling motion games like Kinect Animals. Kind of bizarre how the internet doesn't really reflect real life.

There are a lot more people buying games now than just "traditional gamers." That wasn't always the case. It seems a lot of these "innovations" or "gimmicks" (depending on who one asks) center around trying to get new customers from the pool of people who don't really like what I would consider video games. This isn't a new thing, but for some reason this trick has actually started working as of last gen.

These 'non-gamers' aren't well represented on game fan forums, because they're largely just not all that into it--but they have money, and everybody wants a piece of that. How many people do we know who have a wii and a short stack of games that they never play, and hadn't previously played a video game since they were ten? Well, that's the new market everybody wants to make sure feels included.

Edited by Reaperman

• 3 weeks later...

Ahhh, now I see why both companies are losing money. Sony is just trying to copy Nintendo. Waggle controls are dumb regardless of the platform.

I found it funny more than anything else when Sony put out their waggle controls, if only because they had spent the 4-5 years leading up to it laughing at Nintendo's waggle controls and how stupid it was, etc etc. Then they realized they missed the casual gamer crowd and tried to capitalize not really realizing that the casual gamer crowd didn't need a PS3 (or 360) since they already had a Wii by then.

Although Nintendo should have taken that as a clue. "We don't need Console P because we have Console W already". By the same token, that huge casual crowd didn't need Console U because they -still- had Console W.

More on topic, I'd say that this would be considered more of a troll simply because of the forum it's being posted in. A forum where the main viewers are likely to be pro-sony gamers with a higher chance of being offended. If the original poster was trying to just make a joke, they'd have posted it in the general modern consoles forum. That's just my opinion anyway. :P

More on topic, I'd say that this would be considered more of a troll simply because of the forum it's being posted in. A forum where the main viewers are likely to be pro-sony gamers with a higher chance of being offended. If the original poster was trying to just make a joke, they'd have posted it in the general modern consoles forum. That's just my opinion anyway. :P

I really didn't think of it that way, honest!

• 3 weeks later...

While I am severely skeptical about both the Rift and Morpheus, there are 2 problems with this statement-

First, about the refresh rate and FOV, you don't know this yet. It's more than a year off. Sony is claiming that somebody will be able to play on Morpheus while another plays the same game on the same PS4. This implies that the unit will have its own dedicated APU, likely one better than the one in the PS4. (This also implies that it will cost the same as, if not more than the PS4 itself. That's a different problem.)

Second, the original statement came from John Carmack. While the guy is a genius, and definitely knows what he's talking about, he is talking about the competition. No company, no athlete, no politician will tell you that "the other guy" is just as good, if not better, than they are. It doesn't happen.

Plus, everyone, stop feeding the troll.

Seriously.

Every console maker is just ripping off Atari.

Every auto manufacturer is ripping off Mercedes-Benz.

Every American President is ripping off George Washington.

Every King of England is ripping off William the Conqueror.

Or maybe someone is just bitter that Santa only brought them a Wii U for Christmas.

You mean every console is ripping off the Odyssey?

Edited by xDragonWarrior