IGNORED

Can someone help me to contact Jay Smith ?

TXG/MNX

I agree, that splintering the community, for the sake of splintering, seems unnecessary. But having said that, if there ARE individuals who would prefer to have somewhere else to congregate and discuss all things Jaguar, then so be it. After all, I was a JS-II member originally and now, as a JS-II refugee, now a member here at AA.

And, for my tastes, discussion point mentality and personality, this place seems to suit me more than JS-II ever did, if I'm honest. It was perhaps a little bit too 'straight-laced', oversensitive and lacking an element of objectivity vs my standpoint as a gamer and a Jaguar enthusiast: I love my Jaguar, but I'm not blinded by it or Atari in any way. Seemingly, many here feel similarly and, it's a balanced standpoint I tend to share.

Not only that, but JS-II was more focused on discussing the technical ins and outs and jargon > gaming discussions. Very few people ACTUALLY put all that theory and knowledge to use, so... it was of little value to me I'm afraid.

Still, I wish you all the best with this endeavour Alex and hope it, both, turns out to be what you envision AND serves those you seek to reach out to in the best way possible!

It's obvious to me now, in my short time here, that AA isn't the best fit for everyone and I think those individuals would be very grateful for another nesting place to settle down and get all involved in the heart of the Jaguar!

Thank you for kind words. What we are doing is we are not tring to copy exactly JSII, that would be pointless since we all now know how it ends. Instead we try to take all the good things and add many other and move forward. The idea is that since J64 is a new initiative all users have unique ability to shape it into something that will suit us best. You can't do that easily with well established forums like AA for example. J64 is not to be connected to any particular group or devs. We want to hand over the power to the user as soon as we get a proper base.

I think Jaguar Sector 2 came the closest in that balance. And Jay's tightrope walking worked well enough till someone threatened legal action. When that legal action happened at that point I would say the "Jaguar Community" died. Or the concept. I don't think we will ever have all you want to find for the Jaguar in one place. But if you are willing to travel around at this point, and willing to be diverse, you can find more for the Jaguar than ever before.

Very good point. Please help us to store all the legal files in one place. That is why we have github - it is easy to download all the archives with single clicks. Wiki is another option and we have plenty of storage space and bandwidth right now. In order to download files from JSII you needed to click on all particular files you've wanted to download. With git you can get whole archive clicking once and thanks to github you even don't need git client. I would highly appreciate you help (and in fact everybody else) in pointing out legal files that could be distributed. If you like this idea please help.

Hey Alex, nice to see that you are active again. I remember asking a few times at JS2 what happened to you since you just dissapeared for quite a long time. I remember having good discussions and good deals ( I think you got one of my Procontrollers...??? ) :-)

Anyway I wish you good luck with your forum although right now I don't see the need for another one and there are quite a few already. I think the real wealth of JS2 would now be to be able to read all the archives and interviews and Informations about Betas, programming and whatnot that was accumulated over the years especially in those hardcore collecting days of Jay. Also the participation of Ex-Atari employees was really cool back then with a lot of information.

I would love to see it as an archive and am sad that it is lost because truth to be told I don't think you can recreate whatever it is that felt like JS2. At the end of the day it is just a bunch of people with the same hobby that talk about it and that you can have almost everywhere and then it clicks or does not. With that said I still hope that you'll have success with your forum, have you talked to Belboz? He is trying something similar with his Reddit effort, maybe you could combine forces since he is also trying to keep that spirit alive.

All the best

Yup, I still have your Procontroller and it is doing more than fine :)

I haven't talk to Belboz directly yet, but honestly I dislike reddit page format and it is just reddit, without any additional features that JSII used to offer. We are trying to rebuild the community with giving them more than just a forum. This is why we are offering github (slowly populated) and email boxes for example as a start. The wiki poll is going on on J64 forum but the target is to rebuild and store all relevant Jag info under one address.

Cheers

Please do not host any Reboot materials in your archive, or link directly to our binaries or other files.

You can, however, link to our project pages if you wish.

Very good point. Please help us to store all the legal files in one place. That is why we have github - it is easy to download all the archives with single clicks.

Edited by CyranoJ
  • Like 2

Please do not host any Reboot materials in your archive, or link directly to our binaries or other files.

You can, however, link to our project pages if you wish.

Your request will be honored.

If you like to advertise your projects at Jaguar64.eu you are more than welcome to register and post links to your projects. This is actually the reasonable way to achieve exactly what you want, the way you want.

• Like 1