IGNORED

Spartados access hard drive from command-line in emulator

rwt

In Spartados 4.46, running under Atari800Win or Altira, how can I access the hard drive (emulated on the host pc) from the command line? From basic I can save or load from "H1:", but the command line doesn't recognize "H1:", "H:", or "HDD:" as a device.

I am not sure, but I think you should change config.sys in SDX.

DEVICE SIO -> change that into DEVICE SIO /A

I did not test this, but since that line (without the /A) makes that all (S)IO uses SDX vector, it can not work with other devices.

With /A it uses SIO vector of os. Since HDD access is a tweak, I guess the /A is needed.

But as said: not tested, so it might fail anyway ;)

That won't work for H:, which needs CIO access, not SIO.

AFAIK, there is no easy way to directly access the classic H: device from the SDX command line. There was a program a while ago to copy files to and from H:, but I can't find it. With Altirra, there are a couple of alternatives:

• Mount a folder on an emulated drive. This will appear to SDX as a regular SDFS disk, and therefore all regular disk access commands will work with it. However, it is read-only.
  • Set up PCLink, using the PCLINK.SYS driver from the Toolbox disk. This is the SDX version of H: and gives full read-write access. Use it with /A and SIO patch enabled for high speed access.

In Spartados 4.46, running under Atari800Win or Altira, how can I access the hard drive (emulated on the host pc) from the command line? From basic I can save or load from "H1:", but the command line doesn't recognize "H1:", "H:", or "HDD:" as a device.

Go to http://sdx.atari8.info/index.php?show=en_addons and get the Emupack. It contains a driver to let you access the emulated drive.

• 9 years later...

In 2023, using Altira 4.10  you can go to system / Peripherals (on the left)>Devices and click 'Add' on the right side lower window.  Scroll down to HLE (High Level Emulation devices) and select "Host Device (H:)" then select your folders.  
image.thumb.png.13cd127e033695cc912f1e6699124eef.png

Since the post above begins with "In 2023", and presents a snapshot which says "SpartaDOS X 4.45 4-11-2011" ...

... just a friendly reminder that SpartaDOS X 4.47, released in 2015 (8 years ago) was a major revision and really really really *nothing* below that revision number is supported anymore.

Especially, noone can expect that programs published on the SpartaDOS X Toolkit disk could work on anything below 4.47.

If you still have relics like 4.46, 4.45 or worse, please upgrade immediately to 4.49.

Edited by drac030
typos
  • Like 2