IGNORED

RAM DISK - Interest check

Omega-TI

RAM DISKS - Interest check  

44 members have voted

1. 1. If someone was to come out with a NEW version of a Horizon RAM Disk would you be interested in purchasing one?

2. 2. If someone was to come out with a NEW version of the Super AMS card would you be interested in purchasing one?

3. 3. What format would you prefer?

• Sidecar Design
    • Card in the P-Box
    • Other (if checked, post a message for clarification)
  4. 4. How much memory do you think a card like this should have?

5. 5. How much would you be willing to spend for an assembled product?

6. 6. Would a BONUS option make you more willing to purchase one?

• YES
    • NO
    • IF yes, speech internal, but nothing else.
    • IF yes, a real time clock, but nothing else.
    • If yes, both speech internal & a real time clock
    • Just keep the cost down and give me the memory only.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

The Horizon RAM Disks come in sizes as small as 180K (earliest revision boards) up to 8MB (final revision boards with an additional capacity modification done to them). These are also battery-backed--and I've talked to the owner of the IP on these boards to see if I can get permission to make new ones--but that negotiation is still in process. Only about 150 of the final revision boards were made.

You mentioned in a previous message that there was a problem in the decoding on the Horizon 4000 as it wan't continuous. There was apparently a jumper fix for this. Can you elaborate on the problem and the fix? I've had 2 of the version 4000 boards for quite a while and never noticed any problems.

Gazoo

Bud Mills mentioned it to me during our last conversation as an aside. I'll ask him for more details on it the next time I talk to him, Gazoo. I'm pretty sure the fix was actually part of the build instructions--but I want to verify that (it would also explain why you haven't seen any issues).

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be ordering some test boards for the Quest RAMDisk boards (512K) later this month. Once I'm sure they work, I'll make boards available for purchase--most likely as bare boards initially, although I may also have enough time to fully build/test some as well.

• Like 2

I'll be ordering some test boards for the Quest RAMDisk boards (512K) later this month. Once I'm sure they work, I'll make boards available for purchase--most likely as bare boards initially, although I may also have enough time to fully build/test some as well.

Will you be able to supply the PALS as well as the boards Jim?

I'm in either way but the PAL service would be a big benefit.

I'm also in on your splitter board when that comes available.

Where is the IDE board currently? Any progress?

I'll be getting back to the IDE once I finish with the Myarc FDC clone for Richard Bell.

I plan to include a programmed set of PALs with each Quest board, as I have the necessary programmer and Bob Carmany provided the necessary JEDEC files to program them.

The splitters are in fabrication now. Assuming they work for my beta testers, they'll be available sometime in May. These will come assembled, as I want to make sure the connectors fit nicely for everyone using them, and I can prepare a good initial stock of boards in a day or two of work.

• Like 1

:) I ordered a huge lot of Right Angle connectors from a place in China which I can form to make the Connectors I want. I also got some standard ones from them, but I'm thinking the leads may be a bit too short for me to use them soldered directly to the edge of the board. I also found a manufacturer that apparently still makes the standard board-edge clamping type--I just have to find someplace that stocks them or try to order a bunch from them directly (I'd probably have to join their dealer network for that).

It has an additional set of holes in place to allow connection of a through-hole socket--bit that is more there to allow use of some finger boards as a bridge to a NanoPEB that could be connected separately from the dual PEBs to allow easy swaps between the two peripheral types for testing. In order to keep the board in line with the two PEB Flex Cable feet, I had to stay with card-edge mode for the main connection.

I've never used F'Web. I have a couple of questions a it sounds pretty good the way you guys describe it.

1 - Will it work with the HDX?

2 - Do you think it could be adapted for use on the F18A for 80 column use?

3 - What did you like best about it?

4 - Do you think it would be possible to stuff it in an Uber Cart and have the configuration settings on disk?

5 - Is it mouse or joystick friendly/compatible?

Im sure it will work with HDX in some regard... Not designed to catalog RS232, I dont think, but I think the source is floating around out there.

It is an "OS"... At least the closest thing we have to one. (At least what I have experienced)

The version I ran in my HRD had a disk manager and you could catalog all the disks held by the HRD, as well as the physical drives. Copying files from the RAMDisk to a physical disk was a breeze.

A RAMDisk with Funnelweb, XB2.7, and an HDX sounds to me like the Uber development environment. Something I would definitely pay for.

It has been a while since I had an HRD running, but when I had it going, it was the coolest thing I had ever seen on the TI.

It is an "OS"... At least the closest thing we have to one. (At least what I have experienced)

A RAMDisk with Funnelweb, XB2.7, and an HDX sounds to me like the Uber development environment. Something I would definitely pay for.

It has been a while since I had an HRD running, but when I had it going, it was the coolest thing I had ever seen on the TI.

Excellent, a real operating system environment is EXACTLY what the TI needs. I'll look into this a little bit more when I get other things off my list. Until you focused my attention on F'Web, the only other thing I was envisioning was to get 4A/DOS into a cartridge. Can you imagine one of the Uber Cart's having this burned in and automatically starting upon power up? With it's BATCH file capabilities and 80 column compatibility it would make a decent and highly customized environment for individual users.

Yeah, that sounds like a killer combo to me too. I'm interested in one of these RAM disks, and of course I have my plans set on the Myarc FDC clone as well. We really need something to tie all this stuff together.

You would make an excellent salesman. :)

Coming from you, that last sentence is a great testament/endorsement of the product.