IGNORED

HSC11 Round 7: "G" Galaxian vs Galactic Chase. Bonus: HSC Grand Prix!

Galaxian vs Galactic Chase

So it's time to settle one of the unanswered Atari 8-bit gaming questions "which is better Galaxian or Galactic Chase?"

Click on screenshots for downloads from Fandal :)

Atarimania Info Galaxian, Galactic Chase

USE GALACTIC CHASE V2 XEX FROM ATARIONLINE.PL - should have the background hum and play better?

galactic_chase.pnggalaxian.png

Play on default levels. Regular Scoring.

Bonus point Challenges for both games:

Beat orpheuswaking's Galaxian HSC record 41,230 [s9r4]

Highest score on screen 1 (in 1 man). Highest score for first man.

BallyAlley's Fun Challenge Galaxian Highest Score with No Shots!

Challenges are best played as part of normal goes, so no restarting all the time ;)

Pause: Galaxian [space] Galactic Chase [Ctrl-1]

We'll save Gyruss for another day and for a fun bonus play...

Grand Prix Simulator as a team competition :party:

Atarimania Info Fandal has XEX

TEAMS: Team Trbb will be odd ranked players from the updated Current Standings, Team McKong unsrprisingly, will be even ranked players, so if you are 4th you're with McKong, if your 19th you're with Trbb!

RULES: Post time sheets for EACH race; there are 12 circuits - not that we'll get to see them all!

post-19705-0-91925800-1397665723_thumb.png

Total combined team score will count, so collect the spanners!

Team Bonuses for each course for Fastest Lap and Fastest Time, 100 each.

HSC points: 1 for playing, +1 for completing the first race, +3 bonus for each member of the winning team, +1 for highest circuit reached, +1 for the highest score

Round NOW ends: Saturday 2nd April 10am BST, we'll return to Sunday closing on the next round "H" Games. EVERYONE WELCOME TO PLAY, POST IF YOU NEED ANY HELP :)

Tables for this round Post 27 Galactic Tables, Post #28 for the HSC Grand Prix

...We'll save Gyruss for another day and for a fun bonus play Grand Prix Simulator with some sort of Teams; Trbb vs McKong perhaps :party:

grand_prix_simulator.png

Round closes: ...

I'll add more details on everything tomorrow... it's getting late here!

EVERYONE WELCOME TO PLAY, POST IF YOU NEED ANY HELP :)

I used to like playing that arcade top down racer, the one that had four steering wheels so that you could race your mates. Just trying to remember what it was called...!

Super Sprint!

Edited by therealbountybob
  • Like 1

OK I've updated the first post with all the details for the Grand Prix Simulator Team Race Bonus, probably they will all change but just play and post your score sheets for each race. The game is fun, quick to play and doesn't take much to get into ;)

p.s. No I don't expect this to be a fair contest, it's really down to who shows up for this round :D

p.p.s. anyone heard from adam242?

Galactic Chase isn't emulating too well. Gonna try and get it working.

It's PAL!

I'm having no trouble playing the XEX version of Galactic Chase on my real NTSC 130XE using the 8Mb Atari Max flashcart. What sort of trouble are you running into? I only played and tested the first level, but it works okay. What sort of probably were you having with it running before you switched to PAL mode?

I'm having no trouble playing the XEX version of Galactic Chase on my real NTSC 130XE using the 8Mb Atari Max flashcart. What sort of trouble are you running into? I only played and tested the first level, but it works okay. What sort of probably were you having with it running before you switched to PAL mode?

I was getting garbled text on the screen, even after trying it on a few different emulated systems (800, 800XL, XEGS) but it started working once I switched video mode to PAL. Now, however, it's working on all those systems and in NTSC. I don't know. The Altirra emulator can be finicky like that.

Galaxian's Manual

I had never read the Galaxian manual until last night! I had no idea that the point system was so varied. I thought you just shot at the aliens and that was that. I always avoided letting them fly toward me. Imagine when I learned that's how you get high scores! Now I wait for the baddies to come flying at me before I fire. The only drawback is that I can't hit them when they do!

If you haven't read the manual, then I highly suggest that you do. The scoring system allows for some interesting ways to earn points.

Galaxian Fun Challenge Suggestion

Did you know that you can destroy the baddies without firing a shot? This is quoted from the Galaxian manual:

"Between shots, your next missile sits on the nose of your ship. You can destroy an onrushing attacker just by touching his with it."

I've tried this and it is kind of a neat gimmick. I liked the Frogger II fun challenge so much that I'd like to suggest another. I'm not sure how well this would work for a "fun challenge," but I suggest an extra point or two to the person who can score the highest without firing at all. The thing is, you can't really prove that you didn't fire a shot during this challenge. You just gotta be honest.

Is anyone interested in this "Galaxian No-Shots" fun challenge idea?

• Like 1

First of all a nice happy eastern to you all...

Hope you can enjoy those days.

As this week and next week I got much (really much) to work in my company I guess this will maybe the only post from my side in this round...

Galaxian

I rate such games as ok, but never was the mega fan of them.

At the end I am quite happy with my score for this one.

Galaxy Chase

In my oppinion Galaxian is the better game.

Grand Prix Simulator

Yo yo yooo... I played this ages of ago a lot.

I got it on tape I guess somwhere around.

First rounds were hard to play.

But than I was "back in business" :)

#1 52,3 / 15,4

#2 66,7 / 18,3

#3 58,0 / 16,9

#4 64,4 / 16,4

#5 52,7 / 16,1

It is sadly really hard if driving under the bridge and loose control - this costs a lot of time when you do not know which direction your car is. But nevertheless, I played a lot this one and still like it.

And just advertising on my own:

If you still do not have it:

PRO ( C ) ATARI - The printed Atari Magazine, available in german and english edition

issue #1 with a long report from our might therealbountybob reporting on this AtariAge Highscore Club

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/220810-proc-atari-new-printed-atari-8bit-magazine/

post-38004-0-97364000-1397859985_thumb.png

• Like 1

First of all a nice happy eastern to you all...

Hope you can enjoy those days.

As this week and next week I got much (really much) to work in my company I guess this will maybe the only post from my side in this round...

And just advertising on my own:

If you still do not have it:

PRO ( C ) ATARI - The printed Atari Magazine, available in german and english edition

issue #1 with a long report from our might therealbountybob reporting on this AtariAge Highscore Club

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/220810-proc-atari-new-printed-atari-8bit-magazine/

Yes please support powesoft if you can, 5 euros including postage is a good deal who knows you might even get a mention guys ;)

Looks like I'm another victim of Track 5 of Grand Prix Simulator, hope this is possible to beat...

My scores/times

1: 50.0 - 14.8

2: 70.8 - 21.2

3: 54.4 - 15.7

4 58.9 - 18.9

5 52.9 - 16.2 (inclomplete)

Score 4600

Rest assured I'll save the Galaxy later today :grin:

post-19705-0-22178800-1397903202_thumb.jpg

post-19705-0-92094400-1397903203_thumb.jpg

post-19705-0-51703700-1397903205_thumb.jpg

post-19705-0-07376400-1397903207_thumb.jpg

post-19705-0-60572000-1397903208_thumb.jpg

post-19705-0-16041600-1397903210_thumb.jpg

Galaxian's Manual

I had never read the Galaxian manual until last night! I had no idea that the point system was so varied. I thought you just shot at the aliens and that was that. I always avoided letting them fly toward me. Imagine when I learned that's how you get high scores! Now I wait for the baddies to come flying at me before I fire. The only drawback is that I can't hit them when they do!

If you haven't read the manual, then I highly suggest that you do. The scoring system allows for some interesting ways to earn points.

Galaxian Fun Challenge Suggestion

Did you know that you can destroy the baddies without firing a shot? This is quoted from the Galaxian manual:

"Between shots, your next missile sits on the nose of your ship. You can destroy an onrushing attacker just by touching his with it."

I've tried this and it is kind of a neat gimmick. I liked the Frogger II fun challenge so much that I'd like to suggest another. I'm not sure how well this would work for a "fun challenge," but I suggest an extra point or two to the person who can score the highest without firing at all. The thing is, you can't really prove that you didn't fire a shot during this challenge. You just gotta be honest.

Is anyone interested in this "Galaxian No-Shots" fun challenge idea?

What is this, be kind to earth invading galxian menaces day? ok I'll give it a shot! erm, no I wont give it a shot :rolling:

:roll:

It's what my mother called me ;)

Ask a stupid question...![emoji53]

by coincidence young master Gwobby (not quite so young now) is over for the evening - if he ever gets up I'll make him play some more Atari! He's been playing Xirius Defect - which I have been busy designing levels for the last few months; check it out (and the other new games from Flop Mag #57) on the main forum - info here :thumbsup:

Scores for Gwobby - he'll be the next position on the table as not played this season so far...

1: 59.8 - 16.0

2: 68.1 - 22.2

3: 58.7 - 17.1

4: incomplete, 28.5 best lap time

Total 4000

Grand Prix Simulator is great fun for 2 players, the computer car stay's on too! After Gwobby had about 5 goes he was up to speed so we had a race. The losing player still gets to do a couple of races before the winner continues vs the computer - again I reached level 5...

anyone else posting a 2 player game will get some bonus points!

post-19705-0-88665700-1397910971_thumb.jpg

GALAXIAN - There are sometimes issues with file versions on some menu systems - works better loaded directly from DOS, might be to do with copy protection...

After a quick blast on each looks like Galactic Chase is a lot steadier to start with at least, the game can be started on * mode [option] where it goes faster but it might get this fast anyway!

Galactic Chase

Lv1 (in 1 man) 1,870

1st man 3,870

Score 13,770 Lv7

post-19705-0-19248000-1397930611_thumb.jpg

Galaxian

Lv1 (in 1 man) 1,130

1st man 3,890

Score 11,130 Lv5

post-19705-0-53892900-1397930612_thumb.jpg

I've added a couple of extra bonus point challenges to the first post :)

grrrr man...

you got me...

just made the plan for second issue of the magazine.

therealbountybob:

you want to include again something about our madness here?

not too much, one page maybe?

by the way:

I got a hard day tomorrow...

with my company I am on the road...

travel away and back approx 700km

and I am away for approx 16hrs...

but I already wanted to beat you :)

but only on one game, others I didn't played today...

but beware for

GALAXIAN

Level 1 score - 2.180

Man 1 score - 3.960

rock'n roll and happy eastern...

• Like 1