IGNORED

Emulator dot matrix printing?

Ripdubski

hmmm. To get a Atari font on a printed listing... I guess with windows have to start with an Atari TTF font.

http://members.bitstream.net/~marksim/atarimac/fonts.html

I set the default style in style configurator in Notepad++ to the atari chunky font 12 pt, and loaded an Atari BASIC program (listed in Altirra as text to H6: so that Windows can edit it. ) Printed on an HP3390 laser. It looks good. Like one of those magazine listings from Antic. Pretty darned Atari-ish.

But, it's not perfect. I see where atari graphics characters are used Notepad++ displays/prints an ASCII control code abbreviation -- like "SOH" .

• Like 1

Is there a way to print to PDF or other image format so the output uses the Atari font from an emulator? For example source listings. I can only seem to get ascii output with Atari800MacX.

Analog published a graphics driver, G:, which allowed you to print all the graphics characters to a printer. Let's see if I can find the issue...

Issue 35, http://www.atarimania.com/mags/pdf/analog_no_35.pdf

That would work on the real hardware (G:), but I want to get ATASCII printouts via the emulator. Maybe it could be to PDF, or other image, or raw Epson FX80 file that could be converted at the host to modern printer. I really don't care about the actual print on paper part. PDF would be ideal. The emulator AtariWin800MacX has 4 options; Text, Atari 825, 1020, Epson FX-80. Output to any of them ends up just plain text. I was hoping the non-text ones would produce raw data files as they would have been sent to the real deal, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

I found a copy of PrintWiz, but don't see any way to print a listing. I can load a listing, but the menu is cryptic. I can't find a manual for it online either. If anyone knows how to use it, shout. I'm not holding out any hope for it to do (to any extent) what I'm after, but willing to try.

Personaly I love The Idea Itself.

Anything in real Atari life must have it's mirror in emulators world!

All my thanks to Phaeron for his attempts!!!

Please Give us a PRINTER!!! (Printing in Notepad++ may be awsome)

Many times ago they could use printers!

(So, what about specific matrix printers sound?)

Nonetheless I try now to ePubbing PL65 Manual, but I cant find
So cubic!, so readable! (for programming) old fasioned font (NOT ATARI, by the word) to complete this work...
Edited by 130XE

For the control characters, there is the possibility of using Unicode. Almost all of the characters are mappable:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATASCII

...although, annoyingly, two of them aren't. (A full set of left block characters by eighths, but only eighth and half right block? Seriously?)

Inverse video is more annoying as there are no Unicode control characters for it, so it can't be encoded into straight text. RTF and HTML could do it, however.

I think two requirements are mixed up here:

1. (the original one) I have a listing, and like to print that with the Atari font
  2. support printing in general, create graphical output from printing dumps

I tried to fiddle around with the first req., and yes, even with the Atari font on PC side you have a hard time to generate a 100% output.

I found two problems:

1. Editors need the EOL converted -at least- to LF - so this code isn't available for printing anyway
  2. Some editors are able to display (nearly) the full range of characters (even inverse) but aren't able to print this WYSIWYG - while WYSIWYG applications doesn't support the range and/or inverse characters.

Howerver: A small JavaScript which transforms a listing to the graphical/font representation shouldn't be a huge task. The result could be printed to a PDF file writer. Demand?

The second requirement is a completely different thing: While supporting printer control codes (e.g. ESC/P), you don't get the 'I like to print my characters in Atari-font-style' inclusively. AFAIR some programs on the Atari exists which perform such a job, but beside the need of such a program, the output in 'dot-matix' look nor the speed of the process would be very appealing.

And: The problem for interpreting 'Epson-FX' dumps is already solved. I did not check the last link (PRTWIN), but 'APE' supports not only virtually the 1020 but also FX dumps (http://atariage.com/forums/topic/198547-atari-printing/?do=findComment&comment=2533590). BTW: You could also use my ESC/P emulator for 'GEMView' (http://www.fiebelkorn.net/GEMVIEW.HTML) if you have an AtariST...

If there is really demand for such a module and Phaeron likes to integrate that, I could supply the source.

Edited by Irgendwer

Atari800MacX supports the 825,1020,fx80 but only in text modes. I wasnt asking for someone to implement anything, i was just asking if there was a way to do get the printout in atari font from the emulator into a pdf for example. Prtwin looks promising but its windows and does me no good. Ill look for something similar, but fear the grapcics part will be lost between the atari and the end driver since, as stated, the emulated printers are text only. Now if there was a raw option we might be in business, just allow the output to go to binary file.