IGNORED

Jaguar picture flicking/flashing

bladze

Hi everyone

I've recently purchased a Jaguar off Ebay that is in great condition. Came with many games and extra contorler. However, the picture does not work properly. The sound works fine but when it is turned on, the picture flashes on and off. I have uploaded a video to youtube to demonstrate. It came with a standard scart output not RF. This model of Jaguar does not even have the RF out...

At the end of the video, I show the telly using the same scart to display a Wii working perfectly just to prove it is not the telly.

There are also some pictures at the bottom...

Does anyone have any idea what is causing this issue, and how I can reslove it?

Thanks

Ali

post-39010-0-17066900-1397755280_thumb.jpg

post-39010-0-35100400-1397755288_thumb.jpg

Hi everyone

I've recently purchased a Jaguar off Ebay that is in great condition. Came with many games and extra contorler. However, the picture does not work properly. The sound works fine but when it is turned on, the picture flashes on and off. I have uploaded a video to youtube to demonstrate. It came with a standard scart output not RF. This model of Jaguar does not even have the RF out...

At the end of the video, I show the telly using the same scart to display a Wii working perfectly just to prove it is not the telly.

There are also some pictures at the bottom...

Does anyone have any idea what is causing this issue, and how I can reslove it?

Thanks

Ali

Ali, that looks like the Jaguar SCART sync issue. Zero has posted about it a few times .: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/206929-jaguar-64-tv-connection/?do=findComment&comment=2666741

I have a little Toshiba panel TV that does the same with Jaguar SCART input and works fine with plenty of other SCART inputs.

sh3-rg

Thanks for your responce. I have just finished reading the thread and it seems to point to a cheap extendor cable. However, I am using the original offical Attari cable, so you would expect this to work. I am in contact with the chap who sold it and he assuers me it was working the day he sent this without any flicker. I am going directly from the jaguar to the TV.

Whent the image is up, it seems to work fine. It just seems to flicker on and off.

If this is a sync issue, what is the work around? it has not RF out so I cant even try that... The topic you posted a link to is a little A level for me, but at one point, they reference pin 16 can be disconnected. is this easy to do?

This is definitely gonna be a compatibility issue with your... "Telly".

For a start off, the Jaguar was made in '93 and was designed to be used with a CRT TV, not an LCD/Plasma/LED made a year or 3 ago.

Secondly, I reckon that the fact that your Jaguar will be a PAL unit running at 50Hz, through that SCART lead through a modern TV set-up - is in whole - a contributing factor.

I doubt that there is ANYTHING at all wrong with the items you have purchased and that the issue lies with YOUR TV set, which will of course work with the Wii...

Thanks for your thoughts Neo.

I suspect you're correct which is why I will be trying this with a number of different "tellys" today. It is just a little strange as there are plenty of examples of the Jaguar working on most LCD/Plasma/LED made a year or 3 ago using a PAL unit running at 50Hz, through that SCART lead through a modern TV set-up. I just wonder what is unique about my LG?

frustrating that it has not RF out I am confident that this would work.

As before, I will report back the results of my test on a number of different televisions.

Thanks for your thoughts Neo.

I suspect you're correct which is why I will be trying this with a number of different "tellys" today. It is just a little strange as there are plenty of examples of the Jaguar working on most LCD/Plasma/LED made a year or 3 ago using a PAL unit running at 50Hz, through that SCART lead through a modern TV set-up. I just wonder what is unique about my LG?

frustrating that it has not RF out I am confident that this would work.

As before, I will report back the results of my test on a number of different televisions.

What's the deal with this Jag NOT having RF out, whatsoever?! How is that even possible?

I hope you didn't buy that horribly overpriced Jag some guy was trying to flog on eBay that had the RGB SCART 'hardwired' into the console itself??! :?

Just checking... ;)

This issue is in the scart signal of the Jaguar, I did experience the samething with SCART > HDMI convertor. It did work fine with my VCR. When I connected it to my Jaguar got the same flashy result.

I did connect my Jaguar with composite to my TV no issues. Just got me an original SVIDEO cable for the Jaguar will connect that one to see if there is even a difference between composite.

I use a Panasonic 42G20 Plasma TV, Jag works fine...

Update

I have tired the Jag on a Samsung and it worked fine. So it has to be something to do with my telly and the way it receives SCART...I will probably try getting a SCART to Composite convert from amazon or something to see if that helps.

Thanks TXG for your post. Let me know how the Svideo works out and I may end up buying one my self.

Anyone know why it happens with some TV's and not others? is it something to do with pin 16 in the SCART? if so I'm going to try unsoldering it and see if it works, but dont want to if its nothing to do with it?

Thanks again everyone.

Oh, and Neo

It isn't the hardwired one. No idea why it has no RF out. Very frustrating. I can only assume it was a later model Jag where it comes with a SCART. the plastic case doesn't even have space for a RF out. It's complete plastic! Covered over...

Oh, and Neo

It isn't the hardwired one. No idea why it has no RF out. Very frustrating. I can only assume it was a later model Jag where it comes with a SCART. the plastic case doesn't even have space for a RF out. It's complete plastic! Covered over...

Wow. Never even heard of that before. Every single Jag I have ever owned came with RF etc as standard...

As you can see, no RF video out...rare it may be, but frustrating more than anything. It has indented plastic on the right where it should be. It is solid, does not fold or slide or anything...I imagine it is just a later model or something.

Crikey.

Well, some of the other guys here may very well be familiar with this revision of the Jaguar, but I've never come across one myself; bear in mind, I have only ever owned 4 or 5 in my lifetime.

(EDIT: Cheers for uploading a photo!)

Edited by NeoGeoNinja

It's not just s French Jaguar?

Also, as I said previously, if you read the thread I linked to, zero explains the problem with the way the official SCART cable is connected internally and gives you the info on how to fix it. I was sure you'd have better luck with a different TV as have the same issue on one TV (Toshiba) but not on my Bravias.

Don't give up on SCART, it's the best solution by far. Just do the fix! :0)

It seems to be a UK Jag, but I don't really know how to check?

As for the Zero thread, I have read it, but currently a bit scared to start opening up and re-soldering SCART cables. I haven't done any soldering since I was in school 12 years ago. I've gone and purchased a soldering iron for the job when i pluck up the courage.

Just to check I understand correctly, I believe it implies that i need to unsolder pin 16 and 8. Then solder the wire from pin 8 to pin 16. But having added a 150 ohm series resistor between the wire and the pin. Does that sound correct?

It seems to be a UK Jag, but I don't really know how to check?

As for the Zero thread, I have read it, but currently a bit scared to start opening up and re-soldering SCART cables. I haven't done any soldering since I was in school 12 years ago. I've gone and purchased a soldering iron for the job when i pluck up the courage.

Just to check I understand correctly, I believe it implies that i need to unsolder pin 16 and 8. Then solder the wire from pin 8 to pin 16. But having added a 150 ohm series resistor between the wire and the pin. Does that sound correct?

French Jaguars didn't have RF output, they relied on AV out. Yours looks like a French unit. An old post on AA linking to the thread on Yaro where people post their serial numbers reveals that K14901xxxx and K14B0xxxxx Jaguars are the ones with blanked-out RF socket panels

I'll ask zero to post here this evening when I chat to him, or you might be lucky and he arrives sooner :0)

• Like 1

sh3-rg

That would be great. It's really great to see how helpful people are on this forum.

As for the serial, mine is a K15200xxxx

Having checked the box. I have found a label stuck on by the shop which is French health warning. So the French unit logic seems to adds up. Good Knowledge!

Thanks again

• Like 1

I have found a label stuck on by the shop which is French health warning

Attention, ce produit peut causer vous perdez votre esprit, vivez dans votre sous-sol mères pour toute votre vie, tempêter violemment à d'autres comme un malade mental, et porter des vêtements fabriqués à partir de pizzeria nappe

• Like 2

Attention, ce produit peut causer vous perdez votre esprit, vivez dans votre sous-sol mères pour toute votre vie, tempêter violemment à d'autres comme un malade mental, et porter des vêtements fabriqués à partir de pizzeria nappe

I knew that was going to make me chuckle, but not quite so much as when I read the translation :lol:

• Like 1

Check your TV's manual. If there is a menu that allows you to force RGB mode on the SCART input, then it's easy: just cut the wire going to pin #16 inside the SCART connector, and use the menu to enable RGB mode.

If not, a bit more work is required :

- get a 150 ohm, 5 % tolerance, 1/4 or 1/2 W resistor (you can buy one in any shop that sells electronic parts)

- take apart the SCART connector

- cut the wire going to pin #16

- unsolder the wire going to pin #8, and solder it to one side of the resistor

- solder the other side of resistor to pin #16

Note that in that case, your TV will no longer switch to the SCART input automatically when you power on the Jaguar, you'll have to select the input manually with the remote control.

Edited by Zerosquare
  • Like 1