IGNORED

Reducing my collection, why regrets later?

I think its good to sell of the stuff you don't play. I'm in that process right now. I don't have half the collection as most of the gamers here but I'm reducing it.

You need to find a happy medium. Personally emulators and roms wouldn't do it for me. I need to have the old console hooked up to a CRT TV. Flashcarts have beena Godsend for me. I'm selling off all but about 3 games I had as a kid for the SNES. For some reason I'm OK with playing SNES via my Everdrive. But the Genesis I can't part with those a) I had more as a kid and b) the ones I've picked up I wanted as a kid and the collector in me doesn't want to let those go.

So I guess I'm trying to say, sell what you feel comfortable selling. Once you start you might be more comfortable letting other stuff go.

• Like 2

This past weekend I've parted ways with my virtual boy with 3 games: mario tennis, wario land, and vertical force. I got $65 in store credit and put that towards the purchase of star fox 2 on snes. I enjoy that game and hopefully someone will enjoy my virtual boy.

This past weekend I've parted ways with my virtual boy with 3 games: mario tennis, wario land, and vertical force. I got $65 in store credit and put that towards the purchase of star fox 2 on snes. I enjoy that game and hopefully someone will enjoy my virtual boy.

Whoa easy there with the crazy pie in the sky wishes there cowboy ;)

• Like 4

The only stuff you will regret selling is rare stuff, valuable stuff, or sentimental stuff. The problem here is you can sell something for $100 and 5 years later it will be worth $1000. That is the only other regret I can forsee. My advice do not sell anything semi rare or has any kind of sentimenatl value.

I do have a habbit of selling rare stuff when I forsee a price drop and buying back later, but then again I resell as a side hobby job. There is risk involved in that. You just have to follow the market and if the price goes down you made the right decision. If it starts going up buy it back. Then again I don't ever sell stuff I really like either way.

• Like 1

My two cents, as far as my experience goes...don't sell anything game related, especially if you really enjoyed your games. Now, this isn't hoarder training, but as long as your collection isn't taking up so much space you can't afford to lose, then...just hang on to it. In my case, I ended up going back to my Atari collections, NES collections, and most recently, PS1 (!!!!) collections from the past. Luckily, it wasn't too expensive to get back the items I really enjoyed, but I really didn't need to sell it in the first place. I've been pretty cyclical about my games, and now I know not to sell anything. But...I am also a much better 'buyer' of games. I don't buy stuff at a high price that I really don't think I'll play much of.

I guess in terms of 'don't sell', I should add that when I went back to rebuy my good stuff, I knew what NOT to buy again. And there's some stuff I just hang on to knowing I'll probably never play, yet if sometime I want to revisit it (say, Namco collections for the PS2...I have MAME, and no real need to play it on PS2) I can. But, I really should sell it or get rid of that kind of stuff. I'm just not going to now, as it turns out I have about a ten year window before I truly 'move on'...lol.

Ok, yes it appears I have a slight hoarding mentality :D and at the very least, have emotional attachments to just about everything I buy of value. So I guess it's not hoarding truly, as I don't have anything that doesn't work, is in bad condition (oh, you plaque-y Activision 2600 carts, making me lie!), and organized well. You just have to keep things in perspective.

Anybody wanna buy my Namco Collections? :D ...just kiddin'.

Seriously dude, you might be nothing like me, but...don't sell if you don't need to. It sucks having to track down shit, and usually it's not in the condition that you kept your stuff in either. Ya live and learn.

I'm at the point now where I would just get a storage unit before thinking of selling things off again.

This is where I draw the line. To pay for storage means I'm paying money on things that I don't really use, yet don't miss enough to mind sticking in boxes. After a year, you've spent probably more on than the worth of those items. But that's just me...if I can't display it, don't use it, and it's not really 'worth' anything other than sentimental reasons, then you really should move it on. Just about everyone I know has unloaded their old video game collections, and I always kick myself for not picking up the things I really should have, lol...here's a few:

A TurboDuo system with many, many games

A Master System with many, many games

A minty Super Scope 6 with all the games for it

...that's about it, for the regrets. My buddy had those systems n' stuff for over 15 years before he decided to move it on. And I talked myself out of buying them for 'friend pricing' (that is, damn near free).

My point, lol: don't spend money on a storage locker to store stuff that doesn't warrant it.

This is where I draw the line. To pay for storage means I'm paying money on things that I don't really use, yet don't miss enough to mind sticking in boxes. After a year, you've spent probably more on than the worth of those items. But that's just me...if I can't display it, don't use it, and it's not really 'worth' anything other than sentimental reasons, then you really should move it on. Just about everyone I know has unloaded their old video game collections, and I always kick myself for not picking up the things I really should have, lol...here's a few:

A TurboDuo system with many, many games

A Master System with many, many games

A minty Super Scope 6 with all the games for it

...that's about it, for the regrets. My buddy had those systems n' stuff for over 15 years before he decided to move it on. And I talked myself out of buying them for 'friend pricing' (that is, damn near free).

My point, lol: don't spend money on a storage locker to store stuff that doesn't warrant it.

Yeah we kind of differ on the way we use storage. Myself I am able to rent a storage closet at my apartment complex for only an additional $30 a month. I use it for rotating purposes. It's a place to put things to reduce clutter in the rooms, but just close enough to my unit to walk over and grab something whenever desired and switch things out.

• Like 1