IGNORED

MineCraft

Video

I can't believe there aren't more topics about this game, but I got a question. Mine is specifically for the xbox 360 version,but the 360 forum appears more or less dead, and it may apply to other consoles or give an opportunity to compare different versions anyways, so....

Specifically, it's to do with the enchantment table. I finally got mine set up and maxed out the number of books that can be within two squares of the table, but even still, I appear to be locked at a max level of 30 for enchantments. I looked online, but there appears to be nothing mentioned on the xbox version of the game, so I had to go with the PC version, that version said you can enchant up to level 50, an need 30 book cases to do that, I've had that set up, but it still limits me to level 30. Anyhow, is this the limit on the xbox? What about other consoles? Th only real clue that I may have hit max would be that I did get a bow with infinity arrow on it, and I think on the PC it was listed as a 50 level enchantment, but that could be wrong.

Anyhow, thanks for any help. Tell everyone what you've been doing.

Now, a little about the game. I've been looking at it for years, but never got around to buying it, because nobody could tell me what it was. Everybody seemed to have the exact same answer when asked "oh it's awesome, you should get it" Yeah, but I don't do "get it because I said so" so I never got around to getting it.

A while back though, they had a demo on Xbox Live, I downloaded it, and it sat on my HDD for a long time (probably 6 months or so) because I simply had to much else to do at the time. Well, a couple of weeks back, the server was down for another game I was playing quiet a bit, so I booted up this demo.

I stumbled around aimlessly in the tiny tutorial section of the world it sets aside for you to start it (the full game you can opt for a whole new world instead of the premade one) I spent literally several hours setting up the house (which I can do now in just a couple of minutes lol) and once I was finished, the game was like "ok, your done, get out" I was like....but....I want more. I gotta get this, so I was going to download it, but the live store said it was $20, I was thinking "you bastards" because I knew our local walmart had it for $15, so I went there and bought it instead.

Anyhow, what can I say? I can say, Now I KNOW why nobody can really tell you anything about it. It's basically a sandbox game, you mine minerals rocks, plants, and animals (and even water and lava) and you make things out of them. You can play ultra casual, never stressing about anything, build a tiny house and farm, if that's your thing, or you can come out at night and fight lots of monsters or stripmine the whole planet if you want to (I don't know how long that would take, but I imagine it could be real time years, captain planet, weep your eyes out) But WHAT exactly is it about? The absolute most basic I could make it would be, to build yourself up to the point you can find and kill the ultimate boss of the game. But, you don't have to, you could play for ever and never even go into the nether (hell, basically) You can build huge structures featuring automate machines, or just pile dirt up till you hit the worlds celing (the world is 430lx430wx???high, probably 430) You can do just about anything, or as little as you want. Anyhow, now I haven't even gone back to that other game I actually started playing this one for because that one went down for a (probably a few minutes actually) My brain is totally hooked on this game, and honestly, I'd recommend it to anybody as one of the best games I've ever played, and certainly worth the $20 or less you'll pay for it.....

....now if I can just get it for my 3DS or soemthing :/

• Like 1

Level 30 is the maximum these days. Lv50 was the old maximum from back in the earlier versions. Makes it harder to get some enchantments than it use to, but then it's a lot easier to get the XP for a lv30 enchantment. Use Anvils and the like to merge enchantments together to get the high end stuff reliably. Not sure if you can enchant books in the 360 version tho...

On the PC there's no real practical limit for the size of the world (I have bases over 30k blocks out for instance!) (Except vertically, which will be 256 blocks). On the 360, the block height will be either 128 blocks or 256 blocks. Probably the latter if it has jungles in it.

Edited by Mord

I've been meaning to check out the PC Demo I downloaded a few weeks ago, but I keep getting pulled away by other things....maybe this weekend I'll finally try it. And I can't find out how much it costs, since I can't make a account on the official website for some reason. :mad:

Pretty sure it goes for 20 Euros.

I used to play it regularly on the 360 until my interests and time went elsewhere. Recently my 4 year old daughter and I will play on occasion using the "create" mode (no monsters and all construction items available). While she tends to wander and lose the concept of movement (though she got through the first three worlds of Super Mario 3D World...go figure) she will watch and ask me to build things, like a house for her avatar. Nothing fancy but she was thrilled at it.

It's fun and it's also amazing what groups of people can build. YouTube has a ton of videos of these mammoth ocean liners and space ships you can wander through-even on the 360!

I used to play it regularly on the 360 until my interests and time went elsewhere. Recently my 4 year old daughter and I will play on occasion using the "create" mode (no monsters and all construction items available). While she tends to wander and lose the concept of movement (though she got through the first three worlds of Super Mario 3D World...go figure) she will watch and ask me to build things, like a house for her avatar. Nothing fancy but she was thrilled at it.

It's fun and it's also amazing what groups of people can build. YouTube has a ton of videos of these mammoth ocean liners and space ships you can wander through-even on the 360!

If she likes the "create" mode on Minecraft she would love the Toy Box mode on Disney Infinity.

If she likes the "create" mode on Minecraft she would love the Toy Box mode on Disney Infinity.

No, no no no-I know one can probably play the game without additional figures but I'm not going to open Pandora's box by getting Infinity. She's big into the Disney Princesses and she has a bunch of toys on that already.

My nephew was both Infinity and Skylanders and between his "want it" ways and his dad's willingness to spend money (much to the chagrin of my sister who is the primary bread winner and is cheap but is easily swayed I guess-they got a Wii U recently because I got one for the family), he's got two drawer bins FULL of figures.

Not going down that plastic crack laden path, but thanks for the suggestion!

• Like 3

I describe Minecraft as Digital Lego's to anyone who may ask. I personally play on the pc, on the MineVival server (minevival.net). Their enjin website is www.minevival.com. Check it out :D TOTALLY worth the 20$ if ya get the pc version. I dunno about the X360 or PS3 versions.

I've been meaning to check out the PC Demo I downloaded a few weeks ago, but I keep getting pulled away by other things....maybe this weekend I'll finally try it. And I can't find out how much it costs, since I can't make a account on the official website for some reason. :mad:

Thats OK, it can be a real time sink because there is always just one more thing to do.

Ok bought minecraft x360. My daughter likes it. Can creepers kill you on create mode?

Is that all you do on create mode is craft a world. And night creepers come out?

Then survival you can get killed and have limited resources?

Why is it online for? It says connecting to a server? For scores?? Also it said hook up another controller?? For what??

On create mode I don't think the mobs will even notice you and you should be immune to all sorts of damage. On create mode you're simply building tho yeah. You can explore if you want but obviously it wouldn't be as entertaining. On survival you have to watch your back for the mobs, lava, falling gravel/sand, long falls, etc. And of course you're limited to what you can find. How limited they are depends on the material itself and whether it's farmable or not. It's possible to create mob traps for easy experience and mob drops so even iron/gold is technically "farmable". (From zombies and pigmen for instance)

Not sure why it goes online, but I'd presume it's for achievements and the like as well as in case you want other players to join the world, if it's multiplayer. I don't think the extra controller is required unless someone else is going to play split-screen on the same tv - I think. I've never tried it so can't say for sure.

I do split screen all the time with my son. He loves creative, but you can't earn any achievements in creative. We build massive structures in creative, like World of Warcraft castle replicas, our house, skyscrapers, roller coasters, etc. Creepers can't kill you in creative. Creative gets boring (for me), especially if we haven't set out to build something in particular.

You can take your creative world to the survival mode?

Other people can come into your world? And if they do they can destroy it?

You can start it in survival, but achievements are disabled at that point. People can come in. You can set permissions to what they can do.

• 4 weeks later...

You can enchant books. After finding you can combine effects with an anvil, I started doing that to get things I wanted, especially weapons ans picks with looting and longevity built in....just remember to upkeep them because it's hella expensive (exp wise) to upkeep them....but it's IMO well worth it.

I never played creative, I wanted to at least have the option of monsters....I don't know about other versions of the game, but teh 360 will allow you to turn off damage and other things(though you can't get achievements if you do that) It gives you a wide range of controll towards other players too, you can invite people only, or have a fully open world, give them powers (teleporting, flying, immunity etc) even controll wether they can interact with your world or not.

At the time I bought this, I wanted a "me only" game and I've spent a LOT of time in it, I've since created other worlds that me and friends will play in. When it comes to building stuff, I typically build stuff when my room full of chests becomes full completely of cobblestones. The biggest project I'm currently working on is an arena, which when it is completly done, will allow monsters to spawn 24 hours a day, and randomly open doors to let them out of their cells into the main arena pit. I ran out of stone and have started mining again though, the building is about half finished. For a single person, it's pretty huge at 20h40w80l, but it's nothing compared to some of the stuff I've seen, and if you can get a group of friends to stay coherent, you can really build some huge projects.

Oh, I mislabled the world size, I wasn't counting the negative numbers....and I never remembered to look at how high the world is (probably 250 like someone above said) but your world is 860 by 860 total with the center being -1 0 on the map.

Been getting into the redstone devices a lot lately. I was so happy when I got my first successful "invisible" door to work, and you can open and close it from either side. Now I'm working on a hidden stairway, eventually I want to make an area that you come to with nothing on it, hit a switch and the ground drops out and a stairway comes up, but it's getting quiet huge and complicated. Here's hoping they will add turning torches off, solar panels, and redstone blocks at some point in the future, some of what I've been workikng on won't work without some of that.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought this game back when it was in its early Alpha stages. Some friends and I had a riot for many weeks building cool shit into the wee hours of the morning. Then Minecraft and I lost touch until just now.

Seems to be 100000% different than when I last played. Far more complicated, but really neat. I'm dumbfounded at how popular it has become; somehow the whole Minecraft YouTube scene has eluded me. Could Minecraft be this generation's DooM? Looks like it could be, judging from the popularity and mod capabilities.

I wonder if the game's popularity will seriously suffer, or if it's a vocal minority that is leading the battle charge against Mojang. I understand that some massively popular servers will suffer though, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see what will happen in the long term. The initial outcry seems to be slowly dying down.

The main ones causing the whinefest are the people who have ignored the eula and turned their servers into major pay-to-win (or even pay-to-play given how restricted you are until you cough up cash) so they could make easy money. Naturally with their cash cow being threatened by mojang saying they may start enforcing the eula that's always been there, these people basically start the doomsday talk on their servers of 1000+ players, causing those players to join in.

The game was popular before these servers. New servers, even if not as large, will take their place without fail. As someone who's played on servers like that, I'm happy to see them go.

Fun thing is that there are people telling the server operators "just keep doing what you're doing. mojang would have to test the eula in court, which has never been done before." Somehow thinking that mojang doesn't have a leg to stand on by telling people how they may not make money on their software.

Only thing I'll say about it is that I wish mojang had done this years ago when it was first taking off and nipped it in the butt. Waiting for it to get to the point where there are perks and packages that cost between 1000 to 10000 dollars. I haven't seen it get that high on the servers I've been on, but I've seen servers with packages costing over 300 dollars, and I've seen some that had temporary ranks that you'd have to keep rebuying every month if you wanted to keep it. And with their regular map resets, you'd have to rebuy it regularly either way since the item perks from it wouldn't survive the reset.

I'm on a few servers that actually don't break the eula. So it's definitely possible to do. Of course, you won't get rich either. But you shouldn't be expecting to.

I guess it's on its way down now, though. Notch really messed with his customer base this time.. and it's not just arbitrary changes to pizz of the mod community either

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/06/17/minecraft-not-worse-than-ea/

Bollocks. The only people Notch has pissed off are for-profit server operators. The number of actual players who are upset by this is somewhere between zero and none. In fact, most players of the game are cheering his enforcement of the EULA. If you want to play WoW and level up with money, go play WoW. That's not what Minecraft is about. Millions of people happily play the game with no financial happenings, beyond funding a small VM instance if they want multiplayer. And anyone with any experience with the game knows that if you want to play without grinding for resources, there's always Creative mode. There's literally no reason for these "pay to play" servers to exist beyond profit gouging. Sorry, I guess a better term is "pay to win", as there's nothing whatsoever in the EULA that forbids charging people to play on your server. Server operators can still make a fuckton of cash, so long as they charge everyone equally. You simply can't buy your way into success in the game anymore.

I've been playing almost non-stop since late 2009. "Digital LEGOs" is exactly what I describe it as to people, and the pixelated graphics are just a joy to the eyes of this retro gamer. It's probably my favourite "videogame" of all time - and at this point, one of the highest selling of all time as well. On any platform, ever. It's a lot more than this generation's Doom, although I can see where the comparison is coming from. It's more like this generation's SMB or Pac-Man. It's EVERYWHERE and EVERYONE under a certain age plays it. It was inevitable that people would try to dump on it at some point, and this most recent controversy is just more sour grapes from people who aren't really into the game for the game itself anyway.

Edited by freeweed

• 2 months later...

What's something cool that happened to you on minecraft?

I tell you, the other day I was playing, and it started to rain, which is rare on the xbox version, but it was lightening, which is even more rare, I was building a house and I heard a loud crack and my dude jerked like he got hit and lost three hearts, I was like "OMG WTF" looked around, but didn't find any enemies, as near as I can tell, I got hit by lightening. I was thinking that was pretty cool. Till then, I thought the weather was just a passive graphic, I didn't know it actually DID anything.

Anyhow, just thought I'd mention that, thought it was cool.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/09/11/microsoft-buying-minecraft-wont-somebody-think-of-the-children/

Well, the game was fun while it lasted. I personally believe notch -is- selling to microsoft. The rumour has been going around very publically for a few days now, and Mojang is usually fast to respond to things like this. But not a peep out of them. The only reason to not comment on this at this point is if they're required to.

I expect mods and plugins to be completely killed off, then offered as paid DLC. :P (Among other things.)