IGNORED

Setting up a 512k cart

Gazoo

Had nothing to do for a few hours and decided the 512k Utility cart was missing something, Editor/Assembler.

So I hot glued an EA Grom to the bottom of the 512k cart board and soldered the jumper wires to make it work.

Now I get the EA cart on the menu in addition to the utilities menu.

It's not that difficult to do if anyone wants to add it to their cart.

Pic of bottom of cart board is included. Comments regarding my soldering skills are NOT allowed. :)

Seems there's room on that side of the board for a Grom socket. :evil:

Gazoo

gallery_29515_833_8040.jpg

gallery_29515_833_6613.jpg

So...

What if a GROM socket is mounted, an Editor Assembler GROM is plugged in and the EPROM is changed out for an EEPROM like this one?

http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/CAT28C513-D.PDF

Then what do you have? :)

So...

What if a GROM socket is mounted, an Editor Assembler GROM is plugged in and the EPROM is changed out for an EEPROM like this one?

http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/CAT28C513-D.PDF

Then what do you have? :)

You have 1/8 of what the cart has now. You're plugging in a 64k eprom in place of a 512k eprom.

Gazoo

Actually, if you use one of the current release of the 512K boards (any board from the second batch I made--easily identified by references to a 1024K mod that is built into the board but not populated by default--and the fact that one of the jumpers is a 4-pin jumper), you have a board that works fine with Non-Volatile Static RAM chips, so putting the E/A GROM on the bottom like Gazoo did makes it into a killer 512K Supercart. . .

PLCC?

Well that 512kb NV EEPROM I linked to is available as a PLCC, as I think the pinout is the same or nearly the same as the EPROM. It would would be writable like an SRAM, but it would not require power. So yes, that is what I was thinking, something like...

XB2.7s cart with a built in 4 bank Supercart?

:)

Note, the 512K Red Boards use standard DIP chips (or NVRAM chips), the ÜberGROM boards use the PLCCs (and they are Flash chips, but the boards are not set up to reprogram them in circuit). The XB 2.7 Suite cartridges use 120K or GROM and all 512K of the ROM for the various programs included on it. There isn't space to do what you are thinking of, at least not as it is currently being done.

My bad, ok, try this...

http://pdf.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheet/SiliconStorageTechnology/mXtxvxw.pdf

4 Mbit (512K x8) SuperFlash EEPROM

SST28SF040A

That's already what's being used. It's equivalent to the AM29F040B chips I've been using in the XB v2.7 suite carts.

Gazoo

Edited by Gazoo

WE is wired, however the signal is jumpered to be off by default at the Flash chip (this is done as a general protection, one could safely change the jumper to do what you're looking for here). This capability was foreseen as potentially desirable in the original design, which is why we included it. Note that you would have to write your own initiation routine for an erase/write cycle, based on the required parameters for the 49F040 or 29F040 chips currently used. Getting the timing right for that might be a little tricky, but it should be possible.

I haven't followed this topic in a while. Are those game compilation carts available for sale yet? Are they going to be sold?

I'll be taking some programmed chips to the faire, and have cart labels to go with them. I'm betting there will be some 512k boards available there, too. So there should be everything there available to put together your own cart, except the shell. Maybe there will be some shells there, too. I was hoping someone would pick up the torch on the 512k cart stuff, as I'm quite busy with XB v2.7 Suite carts at the moment.

Gazoo

I'll be taking some programmed chips to the faire, and have cart labels to go with them. I'm betting there will be some 512k boards available there, too. So there should be everything there available to put together your own cart, except the shell. Maybe there will be some shells there, too. I was hoping someone would pick up the torch on the 512k cart stuff, as I'm quite busy with XB v2.7 Suite carts at the moment.

Gazoo

Bummer, I'm not going to be there (always happens around my anniversary).

• 2 weeks later...

I have about 30 fully-assembled Red 512K boards that I'll be taking with me to the Chicago Faire, along with 15-20 Black 128Kx4 boards and 30 Blue ÜberGROM boards. The boards will just need programmed chips and cases to become fully-functional cartridges.

I'll be bringing some programmed chips with me, but not enough to fill all those boards!

Gazoo

Seems like everyone has a piece of the puzzle. :)

I just want to buy those two game carts (or four if they can't be combined, not sure if that switch job was custom). I don't have the ability to burn my own chips or solder anything like this. :(

So between the four game carts, which games are still missing? I'm talking about EA games.

I just want to buy those two game carts (or four if they can't be combined, not sure if that switch job was custom). I don't have the ability to burn my own chips or solder anything like this. :(

I can't solder either lol, but I bought 4 fully assembled 512k cart boards from ksarul and then just got some chips programmed with the gamecart images and popped em in the sockets and stole a couple cases from other carts and :D now I got the 4 gamecarts, all I need is labels.

the switch is a custom thing ;)