IGNORED

Setting up a 512k cart

Gazoo

Is the 2MB cart supported in MESS or js99er? If so, which PCB type should I use in the layout.xml file?

Actually it's already working in js99er if you set the type to paged378. I didn't even have to change anything, because a ROM in any type but paged379i is treated as non-inverted. But the sound is not working in js99er - you only hear a bit of clicking.

anim1.rpk

vbcarttest8.rpk

Not European... this is a general new writing convention (although too many just do not care...)

When prefixes refer to powers of 2, they are called binary prefixes:

1000 byte = 1 kilobyte = 1 kB

1024 byte = 1 "Kibibyte" = 1 KiB

1048576 byte = 1 "Mebibyte" = 1 MiB

However, I won't really say "kibibyte" but kilobyte as before. But I'm using the binary prefix. This is slowly becoming adopted in scientific literature.

You may like to check Wikipedia. :)

• Like 2

Actually it's already working in js99er if you set the type to paged378. I didn't even have to change anything, because a ROM in any type but paged379i is treated as non-inverted. But the sound is not working in js99er - you only hear a bit of clicking.

Ah, cool, gave me chance to check out your animation as well. Looks neat!

Not European... this is a general new writing convention (although too many just do not care...)

However, I won't really say "kibibyte" but kilobyte as before. But I'm using the binary prefix. This is slowly becoming adopted in scientific literature.

Maybe more relevant in Europe though, since we actually use the metric system and like our units to follow at least some sort of logic :). Also, the French do tend to use their own versions of these units as well (like "Mo" for "Mega Octect").

I follow the JEDEC standard myself: kb is 1000 bits, kB is 1000 bytes, Kb is 1024 bits and KB is 1024 bytes.

Actually there are 2 different meanings for metre and meter, metre the unit of length, and a meter as in Multi-meter. Of course in the USA all are Meter.

Centre and center is more confusing.

What really got me when I was in New York was seeing the word "Tires" on the side of a building, I thought why is anyone putting something about being tired on a wall.

Of course it mean't car tyres, or car Tires to You.

At the end of the day arguing (and I'm not saying anyone here is) over British vs US spelling is just splitting hairs about nothing. It really just boils down to evolution of a language in

different localities over 100's of years. My personal opinion of where the English language is headed in the 21st century however is another story, devolution is more like it largely thanks to social media, cell (mobile) phones, etc.

Yep, a lot of this existed before, but more knowledge of it came to a head when people figured a 500GB hard drive was really 466GB.

Relevant Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_prefix

In usage, products and concepts typically described using powers of 1024 would continue to be, but with the new IEC prefixes. For example, a memory module of 536870912 bytes (512×1048576) would be referred to as 512 MiB or 512 mebibytes instead of 512 MB or 512 megabytes. Conversely, since hard drives have historically been marketed using the SI convention that "giga" means 1000000000, a "500 GB" hard drive would still be labeled as such. According to these recommendations, operating systems and other software would also use binary and SI prefixes in the same way, so the purchaser of a "500 GB" hard drive would find the operating system reporting either "500 GB" or "466 GiB", while 536870912 bytes of RAM would be displayed as "512 MiB".

Most of us old farts still say "80GB" and know we're only going to get 74GB or so out of the drive because of this. You probably won't catch me using the definition they use for GB nowadays, even though it's technically wrong.

Perhaps the largest OS base that's reporting in actual GB now is Apple's OS X. A 500GB drive actually shows up as 500GB and not 465GiB in the OS. This makes people think they have the space they bought, and probably headed off a lawsuit because of people wondering where their extra 35GB went.

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't seen a corrected dump for 'Attack Of The Creepers' here yet, but I substituted the 'Arcturus' code that Acadiel posted in the Games 3 cart. Those that were having troubles can test it out while we're waiting for the 'Creepers' fix.

Gazoo

attachicon.gifGamecart3ArturusFixed.bin

Attack Of The Creepers has been fixed thanks to some source code from Atrax. :) The correction has also been made for the 2meg cart. At this point there should be no games in any of the Games carts that don't run correctly.

Here's the correction for the 512k Games 3 cart.

Gamecart3CreepersFixed.bin

Gazoo

• Like 1

I've started building the file for the Games 6 cart. There are ten 8k banks not yet filled. I'll go ahead and create the menu with what I have. If anyone has anything else to put in those last 10 banks, let me know.

Gazoo

gallery_29515_833_86823.jpg

Edit: Something changed recently in the 'paste from Word' option in the message editor here. It no longer will accept a fixed width font, so I had to convert the file to a jpg to get everything lined up correctly. :( Hopefully that bug can be repaired.

Edited by Gazoo

Can we put the primary and alternate versions of Jumpman Jr. in here too? They are similar, but not identical to, the Junkman Jr. cartridge DataBioTics put out. Same thought on the prototype versions of Munchman, Saguaro City, and The Attack. If those files work using your launch method, that will probably fill most (or all) of your available banks. Also do we have AsTIroids in any of our cartridges? Lastly, will Freddy work? That's pretty much all that comes to mind at the moment. . .

Here's the Jumpman Jr. link Jumpman Jr.. Note that the DSK file was uploaded with the TXT extension as we couldn't upload using the DSK format when it was uploaded.

Also, we could include both versions of Entrapment, assuming those MiniMemory games will load and run nicely. I'm not sure if the alternate versions of Munchman, Saguaro City, or The Attack were ever posted here. I'll have to do some looking. . .

Edited by Ksarul

Here's a preliminary version to play with. Some games don't work, so I took them off the menu. I don't know if they're bad dumps, or if there's some other problem. I'll see if I can get them working in EA5 format and if they do, I'll try to put them back, as well as add some more of the games mentioned.

Gazoo

[deleted attachment=382238:Games6.bin]

Edit: I managed to fix one of the non working ones and insert one I forgot.

Get the new version:

Games6.bin

Edited by Gazoo

Here's the latest pack of files I had when I stopped looking.
There may be a few more since I last uploaded it.

3D Maze (3)

3D Tic-Tac-Toe (2)

Aliens (1)

Alpiner (4)

Astro Blitz (2)

Backsteine (3)

Breakout (2)

Buzzard Bait (3)

Galaxia (1)

Honey Hunt (4)

Intercepter (3)

Kaboom (1)

Moonbase (1)

Perfect Push (4)

Race to the Crown (2)

Rock Runner (6)

SPAD Flight Sim (4)

Seawolf (1)

Sound Track Trolley (3)

Spacezap (2)

Star Forth (3)

The Labyrinth Inferno (2)

Tic-Tac-Toe (1)

TI-Sweeper (4)

Typo 2 (1)

Video Games 1 (3)

Games Cart 6.zip

Edited by Fritz442
  • Like 1

Cartridges that are still missing:

Championship Baseball
Fantasy

Munchman prototype with Pac-Man ghosts (http://www.videogame...chmanproto.html)
Red Baron Flight Simulator
Robotron 2084
Return to Pirates Isle
Sorgan II
Space Patrol
Star Runner
Starship Pegasus
Super Storm
The Attack prototype with different music (http://www.videogame...ypes/theattack/)

Treasure Island prototype (http://www.videogame...slandproto.html)
Tris-II

Wing War (Final version, the other cart has the prototype version)